The Student Room Group

Working before 16?

Im 16 in around 2 months but I just got my national insurance number- do I have to be 16 or do you only need the national insurance number?? Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Beth286
Im 16 in around 2 months but I just got my national insurance number- do I have to be 16 or do you only need the national insurance number?? Thanks :smile:

https://www.gov.uk/child-employment
Reply 2

It says that 16 year olds don’t pay national insurance yet however I have got my number so surely I can start working now??
Reply 3
Original post by Beth286
It says that 16 year olds don’t pay national insurance yet however I have got my number so surely I can start working now??

You could start working at 13..
Reply 4
Original post by Reue

I mean as in retail etc, sorry I didn’t make myself clear
Original post by Beth286

You can start working as you have your national insurance number.
Quite a few places wont take people on until they are 16 and left school (usually the end of june). But you can start looking now.
By the way, you only have to pay national insurance if you earn over £157 a week. And you should only get taxed if you earn over £11,500 a year.
Reply 6
Original post by Emma:-)
You can start working as you have your national insurance number.
Quite a few places wont take people on until they are 16 and left school (usually the end of june). But you can start looking now.
By the way, you only have to pay national insurance if you earn over £157 a week. And you should only get taxed if you earn over £11,500 a year.

Okay Thankyou !! :smile:
Original post by Reue

At 13 you are only limited to things like paper rounds etc.
Original post by Emma:-)
At 13 you are only limited to things like paper rounds etc.

...and:

cleaning car/windows)
painting fences/doors
cooking
caring
private tutoring
personal shopper
gardening (mowing lawns, snipping flowers, weeding)
IT help
dog/cat/house sitting
collecting parcels
various voluntary work (for free food/coupons)
doing chores for mom&dad (for more pocket money)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending