Poll: Which Oxford College is the most appealing to a medical student?
Christ Church (1)
20%
Brasenose (0)
0%
Balliol (0)
0%
Magdalen (2)
40%
Corpus Christi College (0)
0%
Exeter College (0)
0%
Harris Manchester College (0)
0%
Jesus College (0)
0%
Keble College (1)
20%
Wadham College (0)
0%
Permbroke College (0)
0%
Trinity College (0)
0%
Merton College (1)
20%
Lady Margaret Hall (0)
0%
St Peter's College (0)
0%
Other: (0)
0%
username2337287
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
As an aspiring Medic, which Oxford College is most recommended, taking into account that certain college such as Christ Church boastfully parade their "elitist status"; as well as having negative ratings amongst my teachers. The majority of my professors adviced me to stay away from Balliol, Christ Church, Merton, Brasenose and Magdalen; primarily because they target the big 8 independent public schools, Eton, Westminster, Winchester, St Pauls, Harrow, Rugby etc... Supposedly the admissions tutors have a preferrence towards these elite establishments, as well as a postive bias towards wealthier students. Moreover, there are selective colleges, which under the impression and experience from my professors, who went to Chirst Church, referred the college as being "filled with a bunch of closet racists". Those from "coloured" decent, according to experienced professors, "less likely to be accepted or recognised by the larger colleges". It, therefore gives me the impression that larger colleges are targeted to those from privlleged backgrounds (although I do go to a large and influential private school), in addition to this, medical applicants are fairly unsucessful, compared to the more dominant subjects such PPE, natural sciences, law or politics. However competitive medicine is, the percentage success ratings are incredulously low, and thus it is advised from my academic professionals that applying to Oxford requires a tactical and stategic approach, when selecting a collge.

Any advice in what type of college to apply to? I prefer astonishing architecture, a college which is old, not modern, with an established netowrk of alumni and resources, but subjectively a postive and comfortable atmosphere.

Thank you.
COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Brasenose used to be one of the most elitist colleges abut now o think it has one of the highest percentages of state school students, and is also such a nice college with VERY friendly students. I would have applied there had I not gone for Cambridge. Ultimately it’s up to you to decide, chose a college which feels right and don’t worry about how good it is for medicine (it is still an oxford college wherever it is) good luck
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Science99999)
... negative ratings amongst my teachers. The majority of my professors adviced me to stay away from Balliol, Christ Church, Merton, Brasenose and Magdalen;
That's a nice random selection you've named there. From 2014-2016, the % state school for each has been 62%, 49%, 57%, 56%, and 52% respectively. The list doesn't even include the college with the lowest state intakes - Trinity (43%) - or the only two other colleges where intake is below 50% - St Peter's and Keble.

2008-2010ish Merton was the college with the highest state intake.

Its also of note that medicine is a subject with a relatively high state intake, with 62% being state school (58% for the whole uni).

Honestly, i think your teachers are very out of date and if they once knew what they were talking about, they don't any more. Lots of data to trawl through here if you want to base your decision on actual data.

But overall the message should be: this is really not something to worry about. The idea that some colleges only accept from Westminster/Eton is pure fantasy.
COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Completely agree with this guy ^^, your teachers are out of date
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 18 Sep '20

Do you work while at uni?