Any point taking Spanish? Watch

Beth286
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want to learn the Spanish language and speak it fluently and also learn about the culture. However at a level isn’t it just about the history of Spain and not much learning the language?? Would anyone doing Spanish a level be able to help inform me with what doing Spanish a level involves??
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantágent Crown)
I am a native so if you need any help I am more than willing to help.
Thankyou so much!!
JavaScriptMaster
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the subject is just called "Spanish" then rest assured, it's a Language course like English, French or German.

If it was gonna be about history it'd be called "Spanish Studies" or some weird combination of words like that.
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
If the subject is just called "Spanish" then rest assured, it's a Language course like English, French or German.

If it was gonna be about history it'd be called "Spanish Studies" or some weird combination of words like that.
Yeah it’s just called Spanish, so does that mean I’ll be analysing books in Spanish or ?? Is it much learning vocabulary or not as my goal by 2020 is to be fluent Spanish
lucyheyes14
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I studied Spanish at A level and the first year we went over grammar and covered pretty simple stuff like hobbies and holidays, however we also learnt about the different festivals in Spain and looked at violence and abuse, as well as alcohol and drugs. To know about this stuff in detail you need to know a lot of vocab surrounding each subject.
In the second year we did more political subjects like unemployment, racism, immigration and global warming ect. But we did also study a book and a film and to talk about them either in an essay or during the speaking exam it was essential that you knew tonnes of vocab and that you knew your grammar practically of by heart.
My exam board was WJEC however, most exam boards are slightly different and with the new A levels I'm not too sure if the content or exam format is the same. I would totally recommend doing Spanish, as I really enjoyed it. It is hard work learning all the grammar and vocab but it's worth it in the end!!
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucyheyes14)
I studied Spanish at A level and the first year we went over grammar and covered pretty simple stuff like hobbies and holidays, however we also learnt about the different festivals in Spain and looked at violence and abuse, as well as alcohol and drugs. To know about this stuff in detail you need to know a lot of vocab surrounding each subject.
In the second year we did more political subjects like unemployment, racism, immigration and global warming ect. But we did also study a book and a film and to talk about them either in an essay or during the speaking exam it was essential that you knew tonnes of vocab and that you knew your grammar practically of by heart.
My exam board was WJEC however, most exam boards are slightly different and with the new A levels I'm not too sure if the content or exam format is the same. I would totally recommend doing Spanish, as I really enjoyed it. It is hard work learning all the grammar and vocab but it's worth it in the end!!
Thankyou for taking your time to write that!! Yeah I really like Spanish and I stupidly didn’t revise for the November moc but I surprisingly passed unlike the majority of my class, however it is the only subject I actually like revising atm so I think I should take it next year, I’m aiming for a 7 or 8 which is an A or A*
JavaScriptMaster
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beth286)
Yeah it’s just called Spanish, so does that mean I’ll be analysing books in Spanish or ?? Is it much learning vocabulary or not as my goal by 2020 is to be fluent Spanish
Yes, vocabulary will be a part of it from start to finish. I Imagine the content will be 60% Spanish Language (grammar, vocab, speaking and writing) 35% Spanish Literature (to help you understand idioms, expressions and metaphors) and maybe 5% Spanish culture and history... I remember learning a couple things about the Quincinera, The Catalans, and some important Spanish people in history like Pablo Picasso but those things are usually tucked into a lesson that's mainly about the Spanish language and words..

Also Good luck on your goal. If you want to become really proficient then you have to practise speaking as well so maybe try and find a Spanish friend that you can talk to or go there on holiday. You can also check out meetup.com to see if there's a Spanish speakers club near you where you can all go meet in a coffee shop and chat away.
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by JavaScriptMaster)
Yes, vocabulary will be a part of it from start to finish. I Imagine the content will be 60% Spanish Language (grammar, vocab, speaking and writing) 35% Spanish Literature (to help you understand idioms, expressions and metaphors) and maybe 5% Spanish culture and history... I remember learning a couple things about the Quincinera, The Catalans, and some important Spanish people in history like Pablo Picasso but those things are usually tucked into a lesson that's mainly about the Spanish language and words..

Also Good luck on your goal. If you want to become really proficient then you have to practise speaking as well so maybe try and find a Spanish friend that you can talk to or go there on holiday. You can also check out meetup.com to see if there's a Spanish speakers club near you where you can all go meet in a coffee shop and chat away.
Thankyou so much for your help!! Yeah sounds odd but this permanent supply teacher in our school I have him often in childcare so we speak in Spanish then as he knows a few words, I find that also using my Spanish workbook for listening improves my speaking aswell
lowtestbeta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Beth286)
Yeah u have to analyse a book so you have something to write about in your essay.-its all beneficial don't think of it as a waste of time
If its any help, I was decently good at speaking Spanish by the time I finished A-levels, and I started AS level with little knowledge. I got a low B at GCSE without revising, the huge GCSE summer holiday with no Spanish revision(lost a lot of knowledge), and I started like 3 weeks late. I didn't even want to study Spanish originally, I just changed after I realised studying accounting sucks.
I did visit Spain and spent a lot of extra time revising so I could catch up but to some my extra time revising is nothing, I probably did like 1hr twice a week ontop of my homework(I got **** tons of homework)
You got this
Beth286
Rep:
?
(Original post by lowtestbeta)
Yeah u have to analyse a book so you have something to write about in your essay.-its all beneficial don't think of it as a waste of time
If its any help, I was decently good at speaking Spanish by the time I finished A-levels, and I started AS level with little knowledge. I got a low B at GCSE without revising, the huge GCSE summer holiday with no Spanish revision(lost a lot of knowledge), and I started like 3 weeks late. I didn't even want to study Spanish originally, I just changed after I realised studying accounting sucks.
I did visit Spain and spent a lot of extra time revising so I could catch up but to some my extra time revising is nothing, I probably did like 1hr twice a week ontop of my homework(I got **** tons of homework)
You got this
Thankyou!! I’m doing the new spec which includes as level knowledge as well as all of my other subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (91)
16.52%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (56)
10.16%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (98)
17.79%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (84)
15.25%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (54)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (168)
30.49%

Watched Threads