Why does indirect taxation cause cost push inflation?

Watch
Rebeccacrossxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can’t find the answer anywhere on google 😤
adamdubs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
higher indirect taxes -> higher employment costs for firms -> lower SRAS = cost push inflation
Rebeccacrossxx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by adam_winterb)
higher indirect taxes -> higher employment costs for firms -> lower SRAS = cost push inflation
Why do employment costs rise?
adamdubs
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Rebeccacrossxx)
Why do employment costs rise?
Indirect tax on a good means that a producer has to pay tax per unit of good/service they produce. So in theory, the good/service costs more to produce (depending on price elasticity of demand and supply).

This means higher costs for firms, causing SRAS to shift left/up.
username3515912
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A indirect tax is a tax on spending such as VAT and excise duty.An increase in these types of taxes increases costs to producers. For example, if VAT was higher than 20% then prices of raw materials will rise causing the cost of production to also rise.Producer then increase their prices in order to maintain there profit margin and make a ‘healthy’ profit, thus causing cost push inflation.

I wouldn’t use the other poster’ response because I don’t think it’s applicable towards an indirect tax. He should of said it costs more to obtain raw materials for producers not having to pay tax on per unit that they produce
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (453)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (349)
43.52%

Watched Threads