The Student Room Group

Cost of a passport to rise

ive always wanted a passport :sad:
People gonna blame Brexit innit? The fact that you now need a passport to enter Europe innit?
Still, it's worth less than 1% of what one will earn in the 10 years the new passport will be valid for...
not read the article but it goes up every year like most other things. so old news really.
It's a small increase in a fee that is already relatively modest.

With the online application it works out at £7.55 a year for its duration. Set that against the costs you'll incur by actually using it for international travel and consider whether it's really something to worry about.

What's there to think about?

Passport prices have remained static since Sept 2009. Since then, the U.K. inflation has risen 20.3% as of December 2017.

Bringing the price of passports in line with inflation over that period would mean raising it to £87.22p.

At £85.00, the new price is 17% more expensive than in 2009. A saving of >3%.
(edited 6 years ago)
Nothing to discuss really. Passports are only updated every 10 or so years. We can have big price changes in 10 years so this is no surprise really.
The cost of getting a passport should fall wholly on the person who is getting it, as such the prices should be increasing, especially given that it is my understanding that they are still effectively subsidised by general taxation.
The cost of applying for one online has gone up by £3. I think I can afford that 😉
Reply 9
I guess they're doing this in preparation for 2019. Blue dye is apparently more expensive than burgundy. :beard:
just glad I got my new passport before the price went up
#thrifty #bargain :lol: #£12.50isanandosman
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by shawn_o1
People gonna blame Brexit innit? The fact that you now need a passport to enter Europe innit?
Still, it's worth less than 1% of what one will earn in the 10 years the new passport will be valid for...

It is entirely Brexits fault.
Just the excuse I needed to finally get mine renewed. That, and I wanted to keep a red one for a while longer anyway.
It only rises by three pounds if you do it online.
They have given advanced warning.
Passports have become even more important these days as a means of identification for employment purposes..
Reply 14
Original post by Jammy Duel
The cost of getting a passport should fall wholly on the person who is getting it, as such the prices should be increasing, especially given that it is my understanding that they are still effectively subsidised by general taxation.

Well considering they are near enough essential for certain aspects of peoples everyday life now from Travel to identification..
It's only a £3 increase online, and they do last for 10 years, so personally I don't see this as a particular issue :holmes:

I do appreciate that that could make a difference for a lot of people, however, particularly if they're unable to order one online.
gotta blame UKIP, everything's there fault , right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending