Are boys more clever than girls Watch

COYS...TTID
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I go to a top 15 state school, and this is just from my personal experience:

Guys seem to get the same grades by doing about half the work.

I know that this is a sweeping generalisation but I feel like girls are naturally very motivated so do ridiculous numbers of hours of revision for little reward, while boys get decent marks with a few hours of revision per subject.

Btw I consider myself a feminist but I do think guys are generally more clever. It makes me wonder if there is a societal reason, ie has the centuries of oppression of women caused a loss in intelligence?

Interesting thought, what do you guys think?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Applepiex3
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sooner or later that lack of revision is going to bite you in the arse regardless of if you're a girl or boy. Slow and steady wins the race!
COYS...TTID
Rep:
?
(Original post by Applepiex3)
Sooner or later that lack of revision is going to bite you in the arse regardless of if you're a girl or boy. Slow and steady wins the race!
Got 12A* GCSEs, predicted 4A* with an offer from Cambridge. No bite yet

And yes, I realise I’ll need to start working in Cambridge, it’s just I feel as if I don’t need to yet at a level :/
Mikos
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well, in terms of IQ (before anyone comes at me sideways, I do understand that IQ isn't an accurate metric of intelligence, but to put it into perspective), the statistics imply that boys are more likely to be at either extreme of the spectrum, whereas girls tend to be more concentrated around the middle, and the average for the 2 genders is roughly the same. This means that while there are, in theory, more male "geniuses", there are more male "idiots" (sorry, couldn't think of a more politically correct alternative ).
COYS...TTID
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mikos)
Well, in terms of IQ (before anyone comes at me sideways, I do understand that IQ isn't an accurate metric of intelligence, but to put it into perspective), the statistics imply that boys are more likely to be at either extreme of the spectrum, whereas girls tend to be more concentrated around the middle, and the average for the 2 genders is roughly the same. This means that while there are, in theory, more male "geniuses", there are more male "idiots" (sorry, couldn't think of a more politically correct alternative ).
That’s pretty interesting actually, I wonder why that would happen?
Just a thought, but if I’m right in that boys are cleverer than girls, but girls try harder, this could be due to girls all trying harder and reaching some kind of average limit, while those boys who apply themselves to school and actually go, reach a higher intellectual level
I feel like this will be quite polemic, but I’m just thinking out loud 😂
showaeski
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My school has a girls school and a separate boys school down the road. The boys school consistently does better than ours, with more of their students getting A*s at A level and GCSE. They also seem to get more oxbridge places than us. So yeah academically it seems that they do a lot better than us even though a lot of them are pretty dense and immature when you actually interact with them. We still have very clever students but the boys seem to outperform us most years.
COYS...TTID
Rep:
?
(Original post by showaeski)
My school has a girls school and a separate boys school down the road. The boys school consistently does better than ours, with more of their students getting A*s at A level and GCSE. They also seem to get more oxbridge places than us. So yeah academically it seems that they do a lot better than us even though a lot of them are pretty dense and immature when you actually interact with them. We still have very clever students but the boys seem to outperform us most years.
It is weird isnt it? Maybe stress/pressure comes into it - girls also seem to be more stressed out about exams in general - could this play a part?
hannahh.08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In my school, which is mixed, girls seem to outperform boys in nearly aspect. How odd.
COYS...TTID
Rep:
?
(Original post by hannahh.08)
In my school, which is mixed, girls seem to outperform boys in nearly aspect. How odd.
Is it a high performing school? If not it could be due to the thing someone said earlier about boys being either clever or stupid while girls are generally somewhere in between (closer to clever )
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I work in a dept which has about a 70:30 split male to female, but the women that do work here are seriously ****ing impressive. I've never put much stock on either side of this debate, really. I know more male meffs than female, put it that way.
Waldorf67
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by COYS...TTID)
That’s pretty interesting actually, I wonder why that would happen?
Just a thought, but if I’m right in that boys are cleverer than girls, but girls try harder, this could be due to girls all trying harder and reaching some kind of average limit, while those boys who apply themselves to school and actually go, reach a higher intellectual level
I feel like this will be quite polemic, but I’m just thinking out loud 😂
If you’re so intelligent,why don’t you actually try and educate yourself, and read the literature around this? You know it’s not as if there’s an entire discipline dedicated to studying the brain and behaviour, is there?

So you’re saying that those men who have a genius level IQ have a genius IQ because they work hard in school? Perhaps try understand how IQ is measured firstly.

And secondly try and apply that reasoning to the fact that more males have an extremely low IQ? Maybe they just don’t try at all, right?

This is why people need to be educated on the most basic principles of psychology. The fundamentals people.

Also try reading about stereotype threat, and the effect of expectations and social norms on performance whilst you’re at it.
Waldorf67
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by showaeski)
... You can’t compare one school to another and arrive at such a conclusion.

This is painful.
Waldorf67
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mikos)
Thank you.
showaeski
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Waldorf67)
... You can’t compare one school to another and arrive at such a conclusion.

This is painful.
I haven't come to a full conclusion. I was just saying from my experience, every year our boys school outperforms our girls school. Not sure why that is. Both top schools with good teachers.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Some studies suggest men have slightly higher IQs on average (but they have bigger brains, which is suggested to be the reason why).

Women are suggested to have higher EQ, which is suggested to be far more practical in real life, and why women actually out perform men in many areas.
hannahh.08
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by COYS...TTID)
Is it a high performing school? If not it could be due to the thing someone said earlier about boys being either clever or stupid while girls are generally somewhere in between (closer to clever )
We are a comprehensive school, and a slightly below average one at that. It’s also a rather large school, so they’re approx 300 in each year and the only subjects where boys tend to do better are pe and it, both of which have barely any girls taking those courses
COYS...TTID
Rep:
?
Bump
wattpad12345
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I go to a very good school and at my age the boys will usually get fluke test scores that are average or they are pretty bad if the don't study but girls listen more in class so if they don't revise they are still really good. I personally never revise except for like 2 minutes before the rest but otherwise i just go with the flow and i have like some of the best scores for my year group. I missed 6 out of 8 lessons for a subject and still got too 5 in my class for the test. I love I'm the UK so things are a little different but in the majority: most guys kinda try and do average or well if they don't try then they do terribly...Most girls don't try and do well but if they try they will too the class
COYS...TTID
Rep:
?
(Original post by wattpad12345)
I go to a very good school and at my age the boys will usually get fluke test scores that are average or they are pretty bad if the don't study but girls listen more in class so if they don't revise they are still really good. I personally never revise except for like 2 minutes before the rest but otherwise i just go with the flow and i have like some of the best scores for my year group. I missed 6 out of 8 lessons for a subject and still got too 5 in my class for the test. I love I'm the UK so things are a little different but in the majority: most guys kinda try and do average or well if they don't try then they do terribly...Most girls don't try and do well but if they try they will too the class
Pretty much everyone on here lives on the uk btw. Just to clarify, are you a boy or girl?
So far it seems like it depends on the school tbh
Arran90
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Boys have more uneven developmental profiles but girls tend to be more even across the board with the possible exception of being weaker in STEM subjects but this could be cultural rather than biological.

Culture plays a part as well. South Asian boys as a whole are academically ahead of south Asian girls of the same age but the reverse is the case for Jamaicans although more often than not boys excel in PE. South Asian students, of both sexes, tend not to be good at music or take music for GCSE.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.96%
No (221)
94.04%

Watched Threads