Starting School Direct in 2018 Watch

lottie2017
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi All,

I thought I'd start a specific discussion for School Direct starters as the main 2018 applications thread seems to be Uni based.

I've accepted a School Direct place for Secondary Chemistry Unsalaried (as should get the bursary which is more than the salary).

I'm doing an SKE at the moment as had originally applied for Biology and then after discussion with the School have switched - they want teachers who can cover Biology, Chemistry and Physics and so thought it would be better for me to do an SKE in either Chemistry or Physics.

I've done my skills tests and submitted my occupational health & DBS checks so just finishing the SKE and sorting out finances left.

Would love to chat with anyone else doing School Direct
Cyates86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
HiI'm doing school direct in physics (originally applied biology) so in the same boat as you. Should be starting my ske at the end of the month but haven't done my skills test yet (nervous about numeracy) but just need to practice I guess.
Lynetteb35
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm just in the process of tweaking my personal statement and then my application will be sent. Any advice, tips or help gratefully received 😁
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Cyates86
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Contact all of your choices by email to introduce yourself they'll probably invite you in before interview and hopefully make the process a little less daunting.
emayb
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys,
I am currently in the interview stage, I had one last week and have two this week!
Luckily I was offered a place at my first interview which has taken the stress off a little, but once you submit your application it just all happens so fast...

I'll be doing either a school direct or SCITT (very similar), in business and economics. Unfortunately, there's no bursary for this subject, so looks like a student loan for me.

I haven't yet done my skills test but I'm also anxious about this! Any advice?

Best of luck all!
Nelly1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi guys, I'm starting the Schools Direct English course in September. Although I have been accepted on the Schools Direct route, I had an interview with a SCITT provider today who really knocked my confidence. They told me that I was
lottie2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nelly1993)
Hi guys, I'm starting the Schools Direct English course in September. Although I have been accepted on the Schools Direct route, I had an interview with a SCITT provider today who really knocked my confidence. They told me that I was
What did they say? Before I decided to go School Direct I had an unhelpful conversation with a Uni subject lead - try not to let it put you off!
lottie2017
Rep:
?
for everyone with skills tests outstanding - I'd say practice via the online tests and as long as your not getting really low scores get them booked in. The government have adjusted the number of times you can re-do them - see here for details
https://getintoteaching.education.go...e-skills-tests
lottie2017
Rep:
?
(Original post by Cyates86)
HiI'm doing school direct in physics (originally applied biology) so in the same boat as you. Should be starting my ske at the end of the month but haven't done my skills test yet (nervous about numeracy) but just need to practice I guess.
How are you finding your SKE? Mines mainly online... Did you get the skills tests done yet? practice is my best advice with those
Nelly1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So sorry! I don’t know why my reply cut off. Yesterday, I went to my SCITT interview, I did my micro teach to 5 very timid students so obviously I was very supportive and helped them with the activity. The feedback I got was that I was “too friendly” and “too polite” that I wouldn’t cope with more challenging students. Although I always take feedback as I good thing, I feel this was slightly unfair as surely you adapt your teaching style to the environment you’re in? It wouldn’t have been appropriate to be stern with those children, she then went on to say I was probably better suited to primary. Don’t get me wrong, she was lovely, but this really knocked my confidence. Of course I didn’t get the offer but have accepted my schools direct offer, during that interview, I was praised for my interaction with the children and the tutors were really positive and was run by really supportive tutors! Instead of being excited I’m slighly anxious! Has anyone else had a bad experience? Thanks in advance 😊
lottie2017
Rep:
?
So sorry! I don’t know why my reply cut off. Yesterday, I went to my SCITT interview, I did my micro teach to 5 very timid students so obviously I was very supportive and helped them with the activity. The feedback I got was that I was “too friendly” and “too polite” that I wouldn’t cope with more challenging students. Although I always take feedback as I good thing, I feel this was slightly unfair as surely you adapt your teaching style to the environment you’re in? It wouldn’t have been appropriate to be stern with those children, she then went on to say I was probably better suited to primary. Don’t get me wrong, she was lovely, but this really knocked my confidence. Of course I didn’t get the offer but have accepted my schools direct offer, during that interview, I was praised for my interaction with the children and the tutors were really positive and was run by really supportive tutors! Instead of being excited I’m slighly anxious! Has anyone else had a bad experience? Thanks in advance 😊
Hi yes - though mine was slightly different as was related to my degree rather than teaching practice. I went to an Open Day and spoke to secondary subject lead (who would have been making the decision on my application) and when I mentioned that I have an Open Degree from the Open Uni I was told to go and talk to 7-14 rather than secondary as he hadnt ever accepted anyone with a major/minor with the minor in an unrelated subject. I would whole heartedly say DO NOT LET IT PUT YOU OFF!! You've obviousbly done well enough at your other interview to be offered a place and they will be who you will be based with. They dont expect you to be a perfect teacher from day 1 thats why you spend the year training. You'll get a mentor who will be able to give you specific feedback and am sure will let you know if your pitching it wrong... I do also agree that you need to adjust your teaching to suit the audience.
Nelly1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lottie2017)
Hi yes - though mine was slightly different as was related to my degree rather than teaching practice. I went to an Open Day and spoke to secondary subject lead (who would have been making the decision on my application) and when I mentioned that I have an Open Degree from the Open Uni I was told to go and talk to 7-14 rather than secondary as he hadnt ever accepted anyone with a major/minor with the minor in an unrelated subject. I would whole heartedly say DO NOT LET IT PUT YOU OFF!! You've obviousbly done well enough at your other interview to be offered a place and they will be who you will be based with. They dont expect you to be a perfect teacher from day 1 thats why you spend the year training. You'll get a mentor who will be able to give you specific feedback and am sure will let you know if your pitching it wrong... I do also agree that you need to adjust your teaching to suit the audience.
Thanks! It’s good to hear that other people have had similar experience, it’s really reassuring!
Lynetteb35
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sent my application off today 😁 how long roughly does it take to start getting replies?
Nelly1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lynetteb35)
Sent my application off today 😁 how long roughly does it take to start getting replies?
Mine took about a week - 2 weeks to get all my interview offers in 😊 all the providers contacted me individually via email / phone before they replied on UCAS. Hope this helps!
Lynetteb35
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mine took about a week - 2 weeks to get all my interview offers in 😊 all the providers contacted me individually via email / phone before they replied on UCAS. Hope this helps!
Very helpful, thank you 😊 x
Steikachay
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello there ! Got an offer for School direct MFL French / Spanish + PGCE at UEL and I've passed my skills tests last Thursday ! So relieved!! The staff was really nice and the tests were not easy, but if you practise online with the practice tests it is really a great training are they are the same as real tests. There is also a very helpful guide with percentages / fractions / decimals on the website that really helped me ( Trust me I am terrible at mental arithmetic and I managed )

I only have the 8 weeks - Spanish SKE course to attend and then I'm in!! So exciting!

Other MFL around? or UEL students?

Good luck all!
Lynetteb35
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I have an interview on Wednesday and one on the 18th April 😁
Nelly1993
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s great news! Good luck and enjoy it- happy to offer any advice!
(Original post by Lynetteb35)
I have an interview on Wednesday and one on the 18th April 😁
Lynetteb35
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That’s great news! Good luck and enjoy it- happy to offer any advice!
Thank you!! I've got to teach for 20 mins to a group of year 4 children based on a book, was thinking Stig of the Dump but not sure what activity to do...only thing I could think of was an acrostic poem based on some aspect of the story
clara_oswald
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm guessing this was secondary? Not quite the same experience as I'm on the fence as to what I want to apply for and I currently work in a nursery. I had an interview for a SEN TA role at a secondary school and spoke about how I plan to go into teaching, I got a call after saying I didn't get it but that I would be very suited for teaching.... primary. I'm ok with that but part of their reasoning was that I was nervous in the interview so they don't feel I would be able to handle challenging teenagers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise