The Student Room Group

If it turned out that there was a God...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GoraSikh
Why did he let my mom die of lung cancer despite only being 52, had never smoked and had taken early retirement to look after her own father with cancer.

It's possible your mum was a victim of air pollution.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/air-pollution-radon-gas-and-cancer/how-air-pollution-can-cause-cancer

But yes, if God does exist, he has a lot of explaining to do. It's one thing to die due to being the product of evolution, it's another thing entirely for some omnipresent super being to have specifically deisgned life with the intention of filling it with immense suffering.

As the anarchists would say, if God did exist it would be neccercery to abolish him.
(edited 6 years ago)
The answer to life, the universe and everything!

(And the answer better not be 42/43 depending if you've read the books or not...)
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by MiszshorTea786
That's not me.
how do you know it's not you ? perhaps (unbeknownst to you) you have been duplicated, a MiszshorTeaoid has taken your place and will slowly substitute itself to you in your entire existence ? careful, careful ....

best
Original post by FlintofBavaria
The answer the life, the universe and everything!

(And the answer better not be 42/43 depending if you've read the books or not...)

You'd still need to phrase it as a question though.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
if God does exist, he has a lot of explaining to do.
and this, for me, is the bottom line

however, our spoiled, arrogant "God" from the main monotheistic religions is unlikely to ever comply

best
Where's Madeline?
I would ask the age old question

What if butts had boobs?
send boobs and vagene?
Why is there so much innocent suffering in the world? 🤷🏻*♀️
"Have you been trolling humanity this entire time? When people spend entire lifetimes to figure out if you exist, and you just sat here this entire time, just watching people come up with all these theories....."
Reply 30
Original post by Axiomasher
and you could ask one question of it (him/her/them) to be answered fully and without prejudice, what would it be?

I would ask him why you decided to post such an illogical thread.
Original post by mariachi
how do you know it's not you ? perhaps (unbeknownst to you) you have been duplicated, a MiszshorTeaoid has taken your place and will slowly substitute itself to you in your entire existence ? careful, careful ....

best

Vivid imagination. (!).

He might appear as you're dupeland again Sir. I would be very cautious if I were you. 😂.
Original post by Zoqua
I would ask him why you decided to post such an illogical thread.

Harsh.

I'm an atheist but if I were to be mistaken and had the opportunity to meet 'God' I'd like to think I'd have a conversation starter so I'm looking for tips.
This was the question at Alpha last night, weirdddd
Reply 34
Original post by GoraSikh
Why did he let my mom die of lung cancer despite only being 52, had never smoked and had taken early retirement to look after her own father with terminal cancer.

I'm really sorry to read your mum passed. Exactly the same thing happened to friends 2 years ago. Their mum died of lung cancer and she lived a clean life and never smoked either. Left behind 4 amazing children who have gone on to honour her life by their lives reflecting everything she taught them.

It's been beyond tough but she lived for God and the only way we can make sense of it is to say she had accomplished everything here on earth she was made by God to do and it was time to be called home.
Original post by Racoon
... she lived for God and the only way we can make sense of it is to say she had accomplished everything here on earth she was made by God to do and it was time to be called home.

This kind of reasoning can be used to justify anything. The worst possible cruelty and suffering that people endure can be dismissed as all part of 'God's plan'. I guess it works for committed believers.
This kind of reasoning can be used to justify anything. The worst possible cruelty and suffering that people endure can be dismissed as all part of 'God's plan'. I guess it works for committed believers.

[video="youtube;PAr7AOpizeU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAr7AOpizeU[/video]
and you could ask one question of it (him/her/them) to be answered fully and without prejudice, what would it be?

What's your favourite sandwich?
Reply 38

If you put your faith in evolution you go through the all the same stuff and in the end...... all for nothing. What an effort.

With God you have a hope for the future. Life is short. We're all going to die.
Original post by Racoon
If you put your faith in evolution you go through the all the same stuff and in the end...... all for nothing. What an effort.

With God you have a hope for the future. Life is short. We're all going to die.

When you listen to a song you really like, it doesn't change your life. It doesn't do anything. It doesn't change anything anywhere anyone at all.

So what's the point listening to it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending