The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Foundation year at LMH?

I got rejected from St Hilda's Oxford this year for Engineering. I did get an offer from Imperial for Electronic and Information Engineering though. I really wanna give another try for oxford, but I heard that if I choose to study Engineering at Imperial then I cannot apply for engineering at oxford next year. I have a quite decent Alevel prediction (4A*). I am really confused with my options now. which one should I choose, go to imperial and reapply? Just reapply? or apply for a foundation year at LMH?
Original post by shirleydongj01
I got rejected from St Hilda's Oxford this year for Engineering. I did get an offer from Imperial for Electronic and Information Engineering though. I really wanna give another try for oxford, but I heard that if I choose to study Engineering at Imperial then I cannot apply for engineering at oxford next year. I have a quite decent Alevel prediction (4A*). I am really confused with my options now. which one should I choose, go to imperial and reapply? Just reapply? or apply for a foundation year at LMH?

First of all, do you qualify for the foundation year at LMH?

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/foundation-year/lmh-foundation-year-students/what-foundation-year/eligibility

^check if you are eligible first because the parameters are quite stringent as it is a widening access initiative.

In terms of general reapplication advice, you could reapply to Oxford from Imperial; unlike Cambridge, for Oxford it is ok and I know many people who have reapplied from university. However, there are other important points to consider.

Don't reapply to Oxford just because it's Oxford. Weigh the two options carefully. Course, location, opportunities etc... If you were to decide to take a gap year... make sure you have something to do. You still have a lot of time to decide... so do the research first.

Honestly... Imperial's course is quality (it is probably as good as Oxford's) so I wouldn't have any qualms of just going there and not reapplying, but it is definitely your choice.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much! however I checked that I don't qualify the requirement for the foundation years....I don't go to a state school sadly. I guess I just have to make up my mind on oxford or imperial now. Oxford is something that I am thinking of for years. I am bit worried that I will regret in the future if I don't try again. thx again though!
Original post by wolfmoon88
First of all, do you qualify for the foundation year at LMH?

http://www.lmh.ox.ac.uk/prospective-students/foundation-year/lmh-foundation-year-students/what-foundation-year/eligibility

^check if you are eligible first because the parameters are quite stringent as it is a widening access initiative.

In terms of general reapplication advice, you could reapply to Oxford from Imperial; unlike Cambridge, for Oxford it is ok and I know many people who have reapplied from university. However, there are other important points to consider.

Don't reapply to Oxford just because it's Oxford. Weigh the two options carefully. Course, location, opportunities etc... If you were to decide to take a gap year... make sure you have something to do. You still have a lot of time to decide... so do the research first.

Honestly... Imperial's course is quality (it is probably as good as Oxford's) so I wouldn't have any qualms of just going there and not reapplying, but it is definitely your choice.

Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shirleydongj01
Thank you so much! however I checked that I don't qualify the requirement for the foundation years....I don't go to a state school sadly. I guess I just have to make up my mind on oxford or imperial now. Oxford is something that I am thinking of for years. I am bit worried that I will regret in the future if I don't try again. thx again though!

Coming from an Oxford reject myself... try not to be caught up with it too much :tongue: but if you do think you'll regret in the future, think about it for a while. Rejection is probably still quite fresh in your mind right now. Take your your time to make a decision and explore your options. If you could visit Imperial, visit them again during an offer holder's day or something. Focus on exams as well. No problem, hope it works out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, I will definitely focus on my alevel for now. Thanks so much!
Original post by wolfmoon88
Coming from an Oxford reject myself... try not to be caught up with it too much :tongue: but if you do think you'll regret in the future, think about it for a while. Rejection is probably still quite fresh in your mind right now. Take your your time to make a decision and explore your options. If you could visit Imperial, visit them again during an offer holder's day or something. Focus on exams as well. No problem, hope it works out :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Does being married disqualify me from foundation year oxford

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending