English History is racist and should be banned Watch

tashkent46
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Do you want your children to grow up blind to the realities of colonialism? Thinking they are destined to rule over the inferior savages? Trying to revive the Raj? We should ban history from schools as it encourges racism.

Guess what Hiter's favourite subject was? German history. He was a pan German nationalist. English History is taught far too much and with far too many rose tinted glasses.

On the other hand Scotland, Wales and Ireland could be studied as they've never colonised anyone or commited genocide.
MrDoggyPants
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tashkent46)
Do you want your children to grow up blind to the realities of colonialism? Thinking they are destined to rule over the inferior savages? Trying to revive the Raj? We should ban history from schools as it encourges racism.

Guess what Hiter's favourite subject was? German history. He was a pan German nationalist. English History is taught far too much and with far too many rose tinted glasses.

On the other hand Scotland, Wales and Ireland could be studied as they've never colonised anyone or commited genocide.
We learn from our mistakes.
s.a.u
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think this is trolling, but I’ll respond anyway. The only responsible way to teach history is to provide balance. I don’t want to say ‘both sides’, but have to teach the brutality of colonialism too, not just propaganda about a civilising mission etc. And allow room for class debate on it.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SupremeEdgelord
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
All subjects except Sports Science and Gender Studies are sexist. You're welcome.
yourjewishpal
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
it is important to know our history to learn from it.
it id ignorant to restrict the learning of history because they were racist; it never encourages children because it is not encouraged
Medrat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In your new syllabus, would other nations' nasty bits be excluded? If so, wouldn't it be a bit thin?
tashkent46
Rep:
?
(Original post by Medrat)
In your new syllabus, would other nations' nasty bits be excluded? If so, wouldn't it be a bit thin?
Are you implying the history of the world is the history of racism?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is ironic that someone wanting less study of British history should be so ignorant of it. I suggest that you should study your history a bit more closely. People from all of these countries have created colonies elsewhere.

The Scottish state famously went bust in the seventeenth century trying to start an over-ambitious colony in Panama, called the Darien Scheme, and Scottish colonies had previously been started in North America (how do you think Nova Scotia and Stuarts Town, Carolina got their names?)

There is a famous nineteenth century Welsh colony in Argentina (speaking Welsh to this day).

And Scotland is even named after the tribe that migrated from Ireland and colonised the northern part of Great Britain - the Scoti. You can't get a much stronger indication of Irish colonialism than that, can you?
tashkent46
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
It is ironic that someone wanting less study of British history should be so ignorant of it. I suggest that you should study your history a bit more closely. People from all of these countries have created colonies elsewhere.

The Scottish state famously went bust in the seventeenth century trying to start an over-ambitious colony in Panama, called the Darien Scheme, and Scottish colonies had previously been started in North America (how do you think Nova Scotia and Stuarts Town, Carolina got their names?)

There is a famous nineteenth century Welsh colony in Argentina (speaking Welsh to this day).

And Scotland is even named after the tribe that migrated from Ireland and colonised the northern part of Great Britain - the Scoti. You can't get a much stronger indication of Irish colonialism than that, can you?
I said English not British and you have mistaken migration for the more brutal form of colonialism.
Bored123456789
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

One of the worst trolls I've seen. Disgraceful.
DarkIronsBarzakh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Pretty much bait but it was just what we thought was right back then. Heck now we all think slavery is a vile thing but during the slave trading years it was seen as a great way for cheap labour. I think English history is fascinating for how much we were able to colonise and especially on the technology we created
MrDoggyPants
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I said English not British and you have mistaken migration for the more brutal form of colonialism.
Nice b8.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was merely correcting your claim that the Scots, Welsh and Irish had never colonised anyone. They have. And do you think the Scoti's invasion of Pictland was peaceful?

Creating colonies is neither necessarily brutal not necessarily harmful to the receiving peoples. England itself was created by sometimes brutal colony-creating immigrants.
Medrat
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Troll? Can't tell these days.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
2/10
tashkent46
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
2/10
I need to get better
SupremeEdgelord
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I need to get better
Copy my shitposting skills to be a better troll.
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

1) There is far more to English history than just British imperialism.

2) It was not the 'English Empire', it was the British Empire. No matter how much they may try to downplay it, the Scots, Irish and Welsh played just as much of a role in the Empire as the English.

3) There is not one single society, ethnicity or civilisation on Earth with a 100% squeeky clean history. Everybody has practiced slavery, everybody has engaged in expansionism, colonisation and conquest. None of this was unique to the British Empire.

Anybody who has actually studied the histories of human war and conquest in any greater depth than the shallow, white-guilt fest that passes for 'history' in modern academia, will see that British Imperialism was quite benign when compared to the history of Chinese Imperialism, or the various Arab, Persian and Turkic empires, or the Mongol conquests of Asia and Europe, or the Bantu expansions from the Niger-Congo into Southern Africa.

4) Attempting to cut a people off from their ancestral history is monsterous. Everybody has a right to know where they came from, it's part of what forms our identities and sense of place in the world. We should absolutely learn from, and try not repeat the mistakes of the past, but we should also take inspiration and pride from the successes. History should never be used as a cudgel to bash anybody in the here and now.
BigGuyAkhenaten
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There are people in The Student Room that would not revive the Raj?
Sad!
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I buy all my madrases from The Raj.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads