The Student Room Group

Does anyone use The Economist magazine to help in Economics A level@

Hello

I just recently signed up for The Economist trial and I want to know does anyone read this and it helping in their studies (Economics A level specifically).

If so, which sections (or content headlines) do you look at first?

Do you think its worth me continuing on after the trial period ends?

Thank you.
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
I read this for geography! All I can suggest is skim read for what to you- there’s no point in reading all of it honestly. There’s no harm experiencing the trial for yourself before deciding if it’s useful to you! It’ll definitely help you with further reading within you’re subject.
Reply 3
It's just like watching the news tbh, it wont boost your grade but it's interesting. I cancelled after the12 weeks trial lol
I would recommend the FT who have a special newsletter for students studying economics A level. They take Articles from the week and give exam style questions. This is especially useful for exam boards such as OCR which have a Themes in economics paper
Reply 5
Its very helpful for UK macro, global macro and business (theme 3). Having knowledge of current affairs does make it a lot easier to understand theories because you have practical examples to compare them to so when you study something in economics e.g trade barriers and you've read the economist you'll be up to date on things like USA steel tariffs or the recent Bombardier tariffs, or how the exchange rate mechanism works in practice and how that trickles down through the economy e.g on inflation and putting pressure on interest rates (to increase the value of the pound but also to control inflation in general and the knock-on effect from the decline of the pound).

It's good practice to think about what you've learnt and see how it applies in the real world especially if you're planning to take economics at uni or go into an economics related career. But also having prior knowledge of real-world events is good because you'll read a theory and think oh yeah, that's the reason behind such and such. I personally don't pay for a subscription but have my ways of getting the latest copies free, we live in rough times!.. or so they say and yet still expect us to pay? wow
(edited 6 years ago)
nope, I stopped reading it years ago but teachers are still recommending it because its the only magazine they know.

In my opinion the economists far too biased in favour of UK and US and tends to look down on other european and beyond countries.

Its analysis and predictions turn out to be wrong most of the time, mumbo jumbo psdueo theories about whats going on in the world.

I prefer the Financial Times, Bloomberg or Harvard Business Review.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest