The Student Room Group

Have you ever fallen victim to an online scam?

The latest findings from the FCA show the worrying increase in young people falling victim to "binary option" scams.

These involve people betting on shares with the promise of a higher-than-average return on investment - but where you can end up out of pocket.

Have you had any experience with this type of get-rich-quick investment scheme?

Or have you been targeted by an online scam of any kind - in particular with online 'modelling agencies'?

If you would like to share your story to help spread awareness, a freelance journalist is looking to speak to people about their stories for a new article on this topic.

If you're interested in being involved, please send me a PM about your experience, along with your name, age and email address.

Thanks!
yes i have.
some years ago i wanted to buy a phone from a seller on ebay. paid and never heard from the witch. i found her social media and exposed her. i @'d her and told her she was a thieving crook.

in hindsight i shouldve known better, she had little reviews on her account most of which were negative, but the phone and cheap price was all i could see. being young and desperately wanting the latest iPhone for the price of a 2004 nokia lmao

moral of the story - if it sounds too good to be true it probably is and def. read reviews
yea I made millions from the cambridge method.
there was a craze for so-called "cripto currencise ".... many people were tricked into buying them just before they plummeted in value.
Fortunately never, but that's probably luck on my part.
B i t c o n n e c t
Original post by the bear
there was a craze for so-called "cripto currencise ".... many people were tricked into buying them just before they plummeted in value.

Yes, the whole cryptocurrency thing is all a big scam.

A physical coin has meaning. It is backed by Her Majesty's government and the Royal Bank of England.

What is a crypto coin? Something some white cis-het male nerd cooked up to get rich dishonestly.
Just look here

[video="youtube;EhL2OWXZ26s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhL2OWXZ26s[/video]

Banks exist for a reason. Can't believe so many people fall for this bitcoin scam.
Original post by AngeryPenguin

A physical coin has meaning. It is backed by Her Majesty's government and the Royal Bank of England.

What is a crypto coin? Something some white cis-het male nerd cooked up to get rich dishonestly.

True, maybe it was just something developed to bypass the restrictions that physical currency imposes?

and plus the creator of the bitcoin is unkown and uses an alias
Bitconneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeect
No. You'd have to be pretty stupid. I think what's more worrying, is the growing level of stupidity and gullibility of young people.
Original post by the bear

Uneducated, jealous and bitter that you missed out. There's currently a significant dip right now - great chance for you to buy in (dips happen in every market).

You probably don't know any other coins except Bitcoin or their uses. They all have individual, often unique uses.

Sure there are scams but if you're stupid enough to invest into a scam to get rich quick you deserve to lose your money.

They are not so much currencies but rather than a unique asset with a specific use. Speculation causes price to change and you can sell it later for a profit. Crypto is an investment.
Original post by Chaz254
Uneducated, jealous and bitter that you missed out. There's currently a significant dip right now - great chance for you to buy in (dips happen in every market).

You probably don't know any other coins except Bitcoin or their uses. They all have individual, often unique uses.

Sure there are scams but if you're stupid enough to invest into a scam to get rich quick you deserve to lose your money.

They are not so much currencies but rather than a unique asset with a specific use. Speculation causes price to change and you can sell it later for a profit. Crypto is an investment.

I study Psychology at a Russel Group University. I got AABB at A-level and a distinction in my EPQ. I had a gap year travelling the world, and I encountered many more exotic currencies than you have ever held.

No, I am not uneducated. You are merely projecting.

I know all about the psychology of the mind. How easily people less informed than myself buy into scams, and how easily they convince themselves that the naysayers such as myself are the ignoramuses.

Trusting your life savings to electronic signals and stuff you can't even see is truly a most bizarre folly.

I keep my money in the bank, a thousand-year-old institution who not only guarantees the safety of my money, but gives me interest. I don't trust some nerdy Russian scammers armed with Excel spreadsheets to run the world economy.
(edited 6 years ago)
I study Psychology at a Russel Group University. I got AABB at A-level and a distinction in my EPQ. I write for my student union paper.

No, I am not uneducated.

I know all about the psychology of the mind. How easily people less informed than myself buy into scams, and how easily they convince themselves that the naysayers such as myself are the ignoramuses.

Trusting your life savings to electronic signals and stuff you can't even see is truly a most bizarre folly.

I keep my money in the bank, a thousand-year-old institution who not only guarantees the safety of my money, but gives me interest. I don't trust some nerdy Russian scammers armed with Excel spreadsheets to run the world economy.

I meant uneducated on the subject of cryptocurrency, rather than in general, so no good giving me your CV. Most people still don't know anything about cryptocurrency, even if they are academically smart (sounds like you).

"Trusting your life savings". Correct, it is stupid to trust your life savings in any investment. That's why there's a saying that most investors (anyone who's smart) stick by the saying "only invest what you can afford to lose".

Do you know what a blockchain is? You know, what every cryptocurrency is transferred on? If you did, you would know how secure it is.
yes, the countless of times i go ona webite and a pop up shows up stating i won an ipad or some kind of vouchers.

I remember a couple of years ago my friend sent me a link from Facebook about winning an Iphone which was fake but little did she know.

I was half way through submitting it until my conscience told me not to submit it.

we have to expose them all.
No. Unless you count signing up to a race via some dodgy website and then having my card compromised some months later.

Other than that, no
I always thought you had to be really stupid to be roped in by one these....
Just look here

[video="youtube;EhL2OWXZ26s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhL2OWXZ26s[/video]

Banks exist for a reason. Can't believe so many people fall for this bitcoin scam.

Check price now
I've messed around with Crypto a few times- never lost any money doing it though, and fully plan to carry on doing so. Never use more than I'm not prepared to lose, either. Other than that (most interpret it as a scam- I interpret it as just riding something fairly volatile/random that predictably nets an income through some magic I understand runs based on the collective madness of people who use it as a store of cash of sorts) I don't do anything that could expose me to being scammed (if you even consider dumping cash in crypto as a scam rather than just being foolish.)

My parents on the other hand... yikes. The old really are easy to scam in 2022 :colonhash:
Original post by marshchi
Yes i've been a victim of a crypto investment scam, i was sweet talked into it by one Mr Collins on Twitter. I invested over 25000Euros and i was told i still needed to pay more to get my investment returns. That was when i realised something was not right so i reported to the police but nothing was done unfortunately. I continued to look for other ways to get my money back despite the unlikeliness. Someone recommended i speak to experts at Vaultech Services, they made all background moves to make sure i got my investment back completely. Anyone having this same issue should complain through vaultechservices @ protonmail . com

i’ve been in contact with them - any chance u could tell me how much they charge and what the process is like please? thanks

Quick Reply

Latest