The Student Room Group

Spanish phrases

Oh god ! I’ve been going over tough translations and while I feel I'm getting better, some are just really difficult that they stump me. Could anyone help me with these??? Thank you so much !!

1) Had I known he was a murderer, I wouldn't have let him into my home.

2) It is essential that you contact me tomorrow.

3) Behind her tanned and weather-beaten face, I noticed that she was looking at me with utter bliss.

4) His coloured attire revealed his royal lineage. Despite this, rumours are that he chases women of humble birth and after having conquered them with gifts and money, gets rid of them.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by gampslaw123

Si hubiera sabido que era un asesino, no le habría dejado entrar en mi casa.

Es imprescindible que contactes conmigo mañana.

3) Behind her tanned and weather-beaten face, I noticed that she was looking at me with utter bliss.

Tras su cara atezada y curtida, noté que me miraba con puro arrobo.

4) His coloured attire revealed his royal lineage. Despite this, rumours are that he chases women of humble birth and after having conquered them with gifts and money, gets rid of them.

Su indumentaria colorida reveló su linaje real. Sin embargo, se corre la voz de que persigue a mujeres de humilde cuna y que después de haberlas conquistado con regalos y dinero, se deshace de ellas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Su indumentaria colorida reveló su linaje real. Sin embargo, se corre la voz de que persigue a mujeres de humilde cuna y que después de haberlas conquistado con regalos y dinero, se deshace de ellas.

I'd probably say in the third translation 'morena' instead of 'atezada' - atezada is a bit of a weird word and not used much in Spain
I believe these are right, I'm doing A2 Spanish and am working at an A*!

/

Si hubiera sabido que fuera un asesino, no le habría dejado en mi casa.

Es esencial que me contactes mañana.

Detrás de su cara bronceada y curtida por el clima, noté que era mirándome con felicidad absoluta.

Su atuendo colorado reveló su abolengo real. A pesar de esto, los rumores son que persigue a las mujeres de nacimiento humilde y después de tener conquistado les con regalos y dinero, se deshace de ellas.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by TheLawLlama
I'd probably say in the third translation 'morena' instead of 'atezada' - atezada is a bit of a weird word and not used much in Spain

Still, they’re both correct and I chose “atezada” as it’s not a nauseatingly common essay word like “morena”: it’s a good way to impress the teacher with more sophisticated vocabulary.
Original post by greycorns

Si hubiera sabido que fuera un asesino, no le habría dejado en mi casa.
You need the verb "entrar" after "dejado", otherwise your sentence translates to "Had I known he was a murderer I wouldn't have left him in my house."

Detrás de su cara bronceada y curtida por el clima, noté que era mirándome con felicidad absoluta.
"Curtido/a" already means weather-beaten so you don't need to add "por el clima". Also, you can't say "era mirándome", you have to use the verb "estar", i.e. "estaba mirándome". Also, "felicidad" means "happiness", so better to use a more sophisticated Spanish word that actually translates to "bliss", such as "arrobo".

Su atuendo colorado reveló su abolengo real. A pesar de esto, los rumores son que persigue a las mujeres de nacimiento humilde y después de tener conquistado les con regalos y dinero, se deshace de ellas.

"Los rumores son" is a literal translation from English and though technically correct, sounds a bit clumsy. In addition, "humble birth" is best translated to "de humilde cuna". Moreover, "después de tener conquistado les" makes no sense. It has to be "después de haberlas conquistado" as you need the auxiliary "haber" and "las" instead of "les" as conquering women requires a direct object pronoun.
(edited 6 years ago)
You need the verb "entrar" after "dejado", otherwise your sentence translates to "Had I known he was a murderer I wouldn't have left him in my house."

"Curtido/a" already means weather-beaten so you don't need to add "por el clima". Also, you can't say "era mirándome", you have to use the verb "estar", i.e. "estaba mirándome". Also, "felicidad" means "happiness", so better to use a more sophisticated Spanish word that actually translate to "bliss", such as "arrobo".

"Los rumores son" is a literal translation from English and though technically correct, sounds a bit clumsy. In addition, "humble birth" is best translated to "de humilde cuna". Moreover, "después de tener conquistado les" makes no sense. It has to be "después de haberlas conquistado" as you need the auxiliary "haber" and "las" instead of "les" as conquering women requires a direct object pronoun.

Thx I wasn't asking to be corrected xxx
Original post by greycorns
Thx I wasn't asking to be corrected xxx

I know, but you made some grammatical mistakes, so it was best to correct them in case the OP read your sentences and thought it was 100% correct.

thank you so much!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending