I want to change course..it's too late isn't it? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I currently have 5/5 university offers but I've been thinking for the few months and I've decided that I really want to change course to one at a different university. Is there no way of doing this apart from taking a gap year? :/
JaguarLover101
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can decline all of your offers and go into Extra
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../extra-choices
Granted, that has the risk of a new place is not guaranteed

Failing that, you can go into clearing on results day and try and get a place there

Obviously seek advice and make sure its the right decision before committing to anything
lowtestbeta
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I currently have 5/5 university offers but I've been thinking for the few months and I've decided that I really want to change course to one at a different university. Is there no way of doing this apart from taking a gap year? :/
wait for clearing/ring them up see what they say
why the change of heart?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by JaguarLover101)
You can decline all of your offers and go into Extra
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu.../extra-choices
Granted, that has the risk of a new place is not guaranteed

Failing that, you can go into clearing on results day and try and get a place there

Obviously seek advice and make sure its the right decision before committing to anything
Thank you

Are you able to see what's in Extra before declining offers?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You can use extra. Ring up the university you want to apply to and explain your situation and ask about whether they would consider you in extra.
LostAccount
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you don't want the course anymore then you can wait until Results Day and call up clearing. I went from one RG uni to another RG uni I haven't applied for on clearing, even though I got accepted for my first option.

Simply call the uni you want on results day (even closed unis will mostly allow course-changers who got their target grades, cold call) and ask if they would take you. If they would, let them make an offer in writing on email or verbally but take the name. If you're 100% sure you want to proceed, email whoever you were accepted for and ask them to be released into clearing. That'll take 1 day to a week or even two, depending on who the uni is. Then just inform your new uni that you've been released and apply for them through clearing. They should accept you same day. All done.

** SOME unis may require you to send them a copy of your personal statement for a quick read. I know Nottingham, QMUL and Southampton do this if you switch to them on results day without applying to them prior. So make sure you still have one, and a good one.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LostAccount)
If you don't want the course anymore then you can wait until Results Day and call up clearing. I went from one RG uni to another RG uni I haven't applied for on clearing, even though I got accepted for my first option.

Simply call the uni you want on results day (even closed unis will mostly allow course-changers who got their target grades, cold call) and ask if they would take you. If they would, let them make an offer in writing on email or verbally but take the name. If you're 100% sure you want to proceed, email whoever you were accepted for and ask them to be released into clearing. That'll take 1 day to a week or even two, depending on who the uni is. Then just inform your new uni that you've been released and apply for them through clearing. They should accept you same day. All done.

** SOME unis may require you to send them a copy of your personal statement for a quick read. I know Nottingham, QMUL and Southampton do this if you switch to them on results day without applying to them prior. So make sure you still have one, and a good one.
Of course any university making an offer to an applicant who is currently placed elsewhere would be breaking ucas rules for universities....so waiting until results day and relying on rule breaches isn’t the best idea.
LostAccount
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Of course any university making an offer to an applicant who is currently placed elsewhere would be breaking ucas rules for universities....so waiting until results day and relying on rule breaches isn’t the best idea.
no rule breach occurs in the scenario mentioned. the call still happens after results are released, not before.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no rule breach occurs in the scenario mentioned. the call still happens after results are released, not before.
A university must not make an offer or consider an application from an applicant holding an offer or place elsewhere. To do so is a breach of ucas rules.

You didn’t break any rules. Any university who made an offer before you arranged to be placed into clearing DID.
LostAccount
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
A university must not make an offer or consider an application from an applicant holding an offer or place elsewhere. To do so is a breach of ucas rules.

You didn’t break any rules. Any university who made an offer before you arranged to be placed into clearing DID.
im not sure what you mean at all still...

the offer comes after the phone call for release
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
im not sure what you mean at all still...

the offer comes after the phone call for release
“Simply call the uni you want on results day (even closed unis will mostly allow course-changers who got their target grades, cold call) and ask if they would take you. If they would, let them make an offer in writing on email or verbally but take the name. “

You said that you would get an offer before approaching your firm university to be placed into clearing. Any university making an offer to someone who is not in clearing would be breaking ucas rules.
LostAccount
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
“Simply call the uni you want on results day (even closed unis will mostly allow course-changers who got their target grades, cold call) and ask if they would take you. If they would, let them make an offer in writing on email or verbally but take the name. “

You said that you would get an offer before approaching your firm university to be placed into clearing. Any university making an offer to someone who is not in clearing would be breaking ucas rules.
oh i didn't mean that, sorry for the confusion

ask if they would take you, which they can say without making an offer, then consider releasing and call up again for an offer (and get it in writing or verbal+name) then put it on the clearing website
Astana
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What course are you applying/changing to? Obviously changing to a course like medicine wouldn't be possible now
Niko K.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As most popular universities (Oxford, Cambridge and Imperial) say that you wont be able to get into a good uni this year so your best choice is just taking a gap year!
MO49
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you can change courses but it may be during clearing and if you look at your tracking site it should have answers to everything in the FAQs
celloel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!

No, the only way isn't via gap year - don't worry! I actually did a similar thing, except I'd accepted an offer already.

As you haven't accepted an offer, you can decline all offers and go through Extra, and then contact the University to explain - you might have to submit a different personal statement.

The way I did it was request my University to release me into clearing, and then I managed to get into a top 10 Uni on results day (woo!). Clearing *can* be a great place.

However, if you're wanting to apply to certain courses (law, medicine, dentistry, etc) then you probably won't be able to at this point.
Sports10
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
listen dw itll be fine
Ismat bari
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Please help me to find university for dentistry in clearing.
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Ismat bari)
Please help me to find university for dentistry in clearing.
I'm afraid it wasn't on offer in clearing
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.54%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (69)
15.44%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (84)
18.79%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (180)
40.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.7%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.26%