The Student Room Group

AM I GOOD EnOUGH FOR EnGLISH? HELP!

Hi
I've been predicted a B in english literature and received offers from 5 universities. The uni that I want to go to is Newcastle and they want me to get ABB with A in English. They've lowered their entry requiremetns for me. I got a B in my mock exam with minimal revision ( I crammed in 2 days) and I always get a mixture of grades like some As, lots of Bs and some Cs. I can never predict what I'm going to get, it's literally always a surprise! I want to get an A in the final exam but I'm so worried if I get a B, a lot of peopel say that you're not good enough for English and I do get a lot of Bs. I just feel insecure about it. Do you guys think a B grade student can study English Literature??

I'm really passionate about English, and for the first time in my life I've had to work so hard to get good grades in English. It's something I've wanted to do sinnce I was 9. I can't imagine not studying it at uni :frown:
I think personally from what you've told me that with the right amount of dedicated time, you are defineitly capable and have the potential to get an A.But you have got to put the time into it even if you can scrape a B with just 2 days. But good luck, you've got this xx
I'm exactly the same with never being able to predict how well I've done in English (both language and lit) so I completely see where you're coming on. All I can say is to just know your texts and terminology really well, do practice essays to perfect your style and balance of AOs and also just looking at old questions or potential ones that could come up and simply PLAN them. I think my teacher made up 2 sides of A4 worth of practise questions and I simply made detailed bullet points covering what points I would make and also what context I'd bring in too. It will 100% prepare you for the real thing as rather than having simply covered a few questions in detail (eg. writing out long essays for them), by seeing so many types of questions will guarantee that any questions asked won't catch you off guard.
but do you guys think that a b grade student should study English? Or are they just being overly optimistic??
Original post by justanotherchica
but do you guys think that a b grade student should study English? Or are they just being overly optimistic??

It’s a grade down from an A. Seriously, you just work hard and you’ll get there. Aim high.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending