history Watch

debbie394
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
No one is replying I have already started trying to answer the question, Why did England fall intestate of civil war in 1642. It goes like this: To a strong extent, i believe that england fell into state of civil war in 1642due to implacations caused by money could anyone help me carry on and talk about how it is the most importannt reason and refer quotes
999tigger
  • Answer Heroes
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by esmeralda123)
No one is replying I have already started trying to answer the question, Why did England fall intestate of civil war in 1642. It goes like this: To a strong extent, i believe that england fell into state of civil war in 1642due to implacations caused by money could anyone help me carry on and talk about how it is the most importannt reason and refer quotes
Not my period, but essentially ut was about the divine right of kings v parliaments rights of the people.

Parliament had the power to approve taxes i.e they controlled the purse strings.

A king needs taxes to live and also to pay for his army and navy. The monarchy was poor and Charles had mismanaged finances, so he needed money.

because both sides wanted o assert power, then money or parliaments willingness to grant the king taxes is what they were in dispute about. Charles was unwilling, so he sought ways round getting taxes with parliament approval and tried other means.

Charles was annoyed with parliament and parliament were annoyed with Charles. Eventually it all broke down and you got civil war. There were other factors as well but you just wnated money.

It was about money, but really the underlying issue was the right of the King b the rights if parliament.

http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk...ish-civil-war/

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK...ish-Civil-War/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (33)
11.07%
I used to but I don't now (10)
3.36%
No, but I want to start (111)
37.25%
No, I am unable to (64)
21.48%
No, I chose not to (80)
26.85%