The Student Room Group

Getting good grades

I'm in Year 9 and about to start doing GCSE's. I really want to get good grades in them (A's), and I wanted to know if people who have gotten good grades, if they did anything before GCSE's or a thing after school which really helped them boost grades on subjects, Thanks.
When I did gcses I would go over my notes from a lesson every now and then even if there were no in class tests all throughout year 10 and 11. Rather than waiting for a few weeks before the actual exams I was always revising old units so that thebiformation was always fresh which made revision at the end rather easy for me.

Just try and keep everything as fresh in your mind as possible, pay attention in class and catch up on work you miss, the exam board isn't going to care if you were ill on the lesson that your class learn about how volcanos are formed. Better to catch up early than wait and forget what it is you need to catch up on.

Keep on top of your homework as well. It will really help you to see early on where your weaknesses are.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in class and give answers. Your classmates might laugh if you ask about an 'easy' concept but trust me 8/10 times everyone has the same question and someone has to ask it.

If your doing a language don't underestimate the easy vocab such as colours and simple adjectives because those are the things that will catch you out of you're too cocky.

It might sound like a lot but when you really thing about it it's not you have two whole years. I did those things and in the end I managed to get 8A*s and 2As.

Best of luck!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by thefilmbuff
When I did gcses I would go over my notes from a lesson every now and then even if there were no in class tests all throughout year 10 and 11. Rather than waiting for a few weeks before the actual exams I was always revising old units so that thebiformation was always fresh which made revision at the end rather easy for me.

Just try and keep everything as fresh in your mind as possible, pay attention in class and catch up on work you miss, the exam board isn't going to care if you were ill on the lesson that your class learn about how volcanos are formed. Better to catch up early than wait and forget what it is you need to catch up on.

Keep on top of your homework as well. It will really help you to see early on where your weaknesses are.

Don't be afraid to ask questions in class and give answers. Your classmates might laugh if you ask about an 'easy' concept but trust me 8/10 times everyone has the same question and someone has to ask it.

If your doing a language don't underestimate the easy vocab such as colours and simple adjectives because those are the things that will catch you out of you're too cocky.

It might sound like a lot but when you really thing about it it's not you have two whole years. I did those things and in the end I managed to get 8A*s and 2As.

Best of luck!

wow you got some excellent results. Thanks for the information :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest