How do I revise for German A-level I’m failing? Watch

Anonymal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My teacher hasn’t been here for a while now and I have no idea what I’m doing we never did last papers last year, and honestly I don’t think he knew what he was doing. I don’t have long until my first exam and I just don’t know where to start or what to do.

Any advice would be appreciate
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What exam board are you on and when is the exam? Have you searched for past exams so that you know what exactly is going to be examined and how it is marked?
Anonymal
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Krokodilo)
What exam board are you on and when is the exam? Have you searched for past exams so that you know what exactly is going to be examined and how it is marked?
Aqa and my first exam is in 105 days - in may. I don’t have the specification or anything :/ I know I have a speaking and a listening,reading,writing paper then an essay paper.
Krokodilo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If the situation in class really is so dire that you and others in your course worry that you are being let down because of the teacher's absence and some form of discontinuity as a result, then this needs to be addressed in class. You could eg. ask what specific exam preparation/guidance is going to take place in the coming months.

AQA provide specimen material for German in three specifications. You should probably ask your teacher which one applies for your exam, but I think any of the specifications you find will give you some good insight into the procedures and the level of skill.
http://www.aqa.org.uk/exams-administ...d-mark-schemes

I should add that there have been changes in the German exams for courses/teaching that started in 2016 – the new specs might apply to your course. AQA are now offering courses for teachers to guide them on how to prepare pupils for the new exam – so it's not totally hopeless, yet, although I feel they are cutting it a bit close...

A different thing is if you feel that you are generally behind of everyone else in your course. E.g. you frequently find yourself sitting in class like a zombie because you can't follow, you can't think about the topic at hand because you struggle with expressing yourself in German in a halfway understandable manner in writing, but especially in speaking. Or you tend to avoid German like the plague. In this situation, you might need guidance by a tutor or teacher so you can regularly test/diagnose gaps and revise specifically to catch up.

The overall goal is that you become able to discuss somewhat complex/abstract topics with good reasoning, so it's not only knowing vocab and basic tenses and word order anymore, but the application of that. You're not expected to speak/write like a native speaker, but you need to be able to put up a somewhat well reasoned topical discussion...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (23)
11.98%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (16)
8.33%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (43)
22.4%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (28)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (25)
13.02%
How can I be the best version of myself? (57)
29.69%

Watched Threads