Should I do a veterinarian work experience placement if I'm applying for medicine? Watch

username3507482
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have no idea if I'll ever be able to get a hospital work placement (big hospital, too many (and well connected may I add) prospective med students, and severely limited placements) however there's a vet nearby and I thought having some work experience there may be interesting and useful but the real question is whether university admission tutors would think so too? Or would it be looked down on? Well not quite to that effect, but you know what i mean
Marathi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't think they would consider it relevant. Maybe try getting some work experience at GP surgery/hospice/nursing home. Doing some volunteering is a good way to get your foot in the day for work experience at a hospital - it shows you're interested, trustworthy and disciplined, plus you are somewhat family to the administration staff. That is what I did to get my shadowing experience.
Blazingphoenix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Interesting, probably. Helpful for MEDICINE, not really.

That said, there is nothing to say that you can't do it. Personally, I organised a dental work experience even though I was applying for medicine. I knew prior it was probably something I wouldn't pursue, it just gave me confirmation that Dentistry was not for me. On the flip side, I know someone who was completely set on medicine, then did a dental WE on a whim and actually realised that it was a much better fit for them; I also know someone who switched to pursue vet med after they did WE at a vet.

TL;DR are you set on medicine or still wanting to explore a future career? Any WE may change the route you want to pursue.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sok.cho)
I have no idea if I'll ever be able to get a hospital work placement (big hospital, too many (and well connected may I add) prospective med students, and severely limited placements) however there's a vet nearby and I thought having some work experience there may be interesting and useful but the real question is whether university admission tutors would think so too? Or would it be looked down on? Well not quite to that effect, but you know what i mean
No you shouldn't. If I was reading your PS, or during interviews you mentioned that you shadowed at a Vet, unless you can very clearly justify how this related to your future career as a human doctor, I / other interviewers would be inclined to think you are not set on doing medicine, and in fact you are only choosing it as a back up to Vet courses.

Think of it this way, if you were interviewing, and there are plenty of other candidates with hospital / GP experience vs a candidate with a Vet experience, who would you pick?
animalmagic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is often really hard to get work experience at a vets as they get inundated with requests from prospective vet med and vet nursing applicants. If you are considering doing vet med at university then of course, definitely try and get a placement there. Otherwise please don't, it won't be of any use to you for medicine and you may be depriving a prospective vet med candidate (who need to get a lot of work experience to apply to uni) of a placement.

(Original post by sok.cho)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (11)
8.59%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (13)
10.16%
No, but maybe I will look into it (35)
27.34%
No and I wouldn't consider it (69)
53.91%

Watched Threads