christinarosex
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Ive just received my results back from my Year 11 mock GCSE exams and I was made up after seeing my lowest grade to be an A (in physics) apart from the anomaly of my Latin mark. I managed to only just get a level 3 even though I had been predicted a level 9 (this was most probably down to the university style teaching style of my teacher whom lectures us rather than aiding us with the complex grammar terms). So I'm really asking for any possible revision tips/ guides/ resources that can help me brush up on my skills for the OCR GCSE Latin Language paper. Thanks for the help
VioletPhillippo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by christinarosex)
Ive just received my results back from my Year 11 mock GCSE exams and I was made up after seeing my lowest grade to be an A (in physics) apart from the anomaly of my Latin mark. I managed to only just get a level 3 even though I had been predicted a level 9 (this was most probably down to the university style teaching style of my teacher whom lectures us rather than aiding us with the complex grammar terms). So I'm really asking for any possible revision tips/ guides/ resources that can help me brush up on my skills for the OCR GCSE Latin Language paper. Thanks for the help
Hi,

I did OCR Latin GCSE a few years ago. Is the language paper the one with the translations or the set texts?
christinarosex
Rep:
?
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Hi,

I did OCR Latin GCSE a few years ago. Is the language paper the one with the translations or the set texts?
Its the one with the translations I'm struggling with
VioletPhillippo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Its the one with the translations I'm struggling with
Oh no, I remember that one being tricky. I used lots of memorization strategies to help with revision. It is much easier when you've learnt the vocab and verb endings. I used to break the vocab into chunks and practise writing them down- my mum used to test me as well. I also used a Latin vocab app where it just went through multiple choice questions. For the verb endings I used to keep chanting the endings until they were stuck in my head- when I went into the exam I wrote them down on the paper.
christinarosex
Rep:
?
(Original post by VioletPhillippo)
Oh no, I remember that one being tricky. I used lots of memorization strategies to help with revision. It is much easier when you've learnt the vocab and verb endings. I used to break the vocab into chunks and practise writing them down- my mum used to test me as well. I also used a Latin vocab app where it just went through multiple choice questions. For the verb endings I used to keep chanting the endings until they were stuck in my head- when I went into the exam I wrote them down on the paper.
My mum tests me too! Can you remember what Latin app you used? Thanks for the advice anyway.
VioletPhillippo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My mum tests me too! Can you remember what Latin app you used? Thanks for the advice anyway.
I think the one I used was called GCSE latin (it had a pic of a helmet on) or there's a OCR one that you can pay for.
Classics_Teacher
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you send me a PM, I'll see what I can do. I have quite a few resources and book suggestions which might be useful for you.

In the meantime, the most important thing is to get the basics. If you don't feel confident spotting the different endings for the noun cases, then it's difficult to do more of the advanced GCSE stuff, so my suggestion would be go back to learning the grammar tables - not very fun, I know, but it massively helps when it comes to translation work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (33)
5.63%
Uncertainty around my education (69)
11.77%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.26%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
12.8%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.63%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (31)
5.29%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (63)
10.75%
Financial worries (38)
6.48%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (24)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.8%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.56%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (58)
9.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.02%

Watched Threads