student-1911
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I am currently caught between two different schools.

Option A- sixth form. It is really impressive as a school, offers many opportunites (such as work experience in hospitals, things to raise your uni application), and comes with all the general benefits of being a sixth form (more support, etc.) However, I am hoping to take biology, chemistry and ict and they don't seem to offer IT as an a level at all. So if I were to go there, I would have to pick a different subject which is tough for me as I don't know what I could take apart from physics and I am concerned all three sciences would be too much work.

Option B- college. It's not as reputable as the sixth form but the grades overall are pretty impressive. Classes are a lot bigger and there's generally less support. However, I would be able to take my preferred combination of subjects and I would actually know some people there, whereas, in a sixth form, I wouldn't. (Although this isn't a massive factor for me personally).

Overall I think my biggest dilemma is that I either feel like I'm missing out on really good opportunities and potentially better grades with the sixth form. Or, I feel as if I'm missing out on an A Level that would serve me well and I could do well at (ICT).

So yeah, I'm really stuck on what to do and could really use some objective advice. Any input at all is appreciated. Thanks!
gaynpz
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I think if you're pretty set on your choices for A-Level, you should go with the place that offers what you want. It would depend how much you want to do IT but Option A sounds like a better place to be. You still get your other two choices and if you're relatively indifferent to IT, i wouldn't say that all three sciences is to much work.
Personally, i don't think it is too much of a problem to go to a place where you don't know people but if this matters to you then definitely take it into account when making your decision.
LaNy0014
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Would they let you do both? I know my sixform has done it it in the past, where pupils had done so many subjects in the sixform and then one in the college because it fit in the timetable. (But then again, I feel I stand out in the crowd being in a uniform when I go to the college sometimes._.)=> follows your gut. If you feel devastated you’d have to drop IT then is it worth the sixform regardless of what it can offer?
man111111
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by student-1911)
I am currently caught between two different schools.

Option A- sixth form. It is really impressive as a school, offers many opportunites (such as work experience in hospitals, things to raise your uni application), and comes with all the general benefits of being a sixth form (more support, etc.) However, I am hoping to take biology, chemistry and ict and they don't seem to offer IT as an a level at all. So if I were to go there, I would have to pick a different subject which is tough for me as I don't know what I could take apart from physics and I am concerned all three sciences would be too much work.

Option B- college. It's not as reputable as the sixth form but the grades overall are pretty impressive. Classes are a lot bigger and there's generally less support. However, I would be able to take my preferred combination of subjects and I would actually know some people there, whereas, in a sixth form, I wouldn't. (Although this isn't a massive factor for me personally).

So yeah, I'm really stuck on what to do and could really use some objective advice. Any input at all is appreciated. Thanks!
it's important to have a good teacher but at the end of the day, grades are mostly determined by your work ethic
ccrilly624
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
i would choose the better school over the a level, i repeated a year and due to timetable clashes i had to choose 2 new subjects and only keep english! it worked out for the best because they knew how to get people university ready. every a-level is doable if you work hard. do try to pick something with a lot of coursework, look into health and social care or other practical subjects that involve coursework etc. two sciences is pretty damn hard and them mixed with another exam heavy subject would be very difficult (for repeats or otherwise).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (2)
15.38%
No one else does (6)
46.15%
I'm embarrassed about my background (0)
0%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (4)
30.77%
We don't use a video platform (1)
7.69%
I don't have a camera (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (0)
0%

Watched Threads