The Student Room Group

Open university entry and becoming a nurse

Hi,

I was hoping to study nursing with the open university, however, it says that you must be in a healthcare setting already. I dont work in healthcare, but does anybody know if I voluntered at a local hostpital/practice if open univeristy would except this? Also is anyone studying with them, and if so how does it all work?

I am currently studying an access to health diploma level 3 and have been accdepted into university with a conditional offer, but the days and placements are going to be very full on, and I will need to work too.

I am really struggling find a way becoming a nurse without all the barriers.
Is there any other way around this? :/
Original post by kelly-grace
Hi,

I was hoping to study nursing with the open university, however, it says that you must be in a healthcare setting already. I dont work in healthcare, but does anybody know if I voluntered at a local hostpital/practice if open univeristy would except this? Also is anyone studying with them, and if so how does it all work?

I am currently studying an access to health diploma level 3 and have been accdepted into university with a conditional offer, but the days and placements are going to be very full on, and I will need to work too.

Hi, (I’m not studying at the OU myself) this link may help you: http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q73
I believe that you would need to already have a paid position at a hospital trust & that they support you to do the degree with the OU. It looks like a voluntary/unpaid position with the hospital is not an option.
The trust I work at as a Bank CA has 2 OU student nurses throughout the whole hospital, so I think these opportunities are few & far between and I believe they are not advertised externally.

I am a first year adult nursing student & the degree is considered a full time course, many student nurses/midwives have Bank positions or flexible contracts to earn some extra money, would be an option for you if you do accept your university offer?

There is now the nursing associate position within hospitals (that can lead to further study to become a registered nurse) & the nursing apprenticeship. You may want to find out more about those options.

To be honest, the only barriers are the ones we create ourselves, if money is a concern, then consider if going down the 3 year university route will work for you if you can work to earn some money around lessons & placements (Keep in mind you can also get a maintenance loan too).
If you need to earn more money than part-time/flexible/Bank work will provide, consider looking into the nursing associate role, nursing apprenticeship & OU, as I believe all three offer an income from the hospital you work in.
I hope this helps a bit & good luck with everything.
Reply 2
Original post by kelly-grace
Hi,

Hi 😊

I’m sure that as mentioned the open university is available through your employer, I know it is through mine as I work at a NHS Trust. I think there are a very limited number of places available for the OU. I also feel you’d get a better nursing education elsewhere, from my experience with the OU students we’ve had at work. They have their first and last placement in the same place every year which does not give you a great deal of variety!

You could wait for the nursing associate role to become available - it’s a new role but I know it’s not available in all trusts yet, I don’t think my trust is doing it until next year or after. You’d have to be employed in a hospital already I think as it would be like an apprenticeship.

If you’re worried about money for uni, you will be able to work as a nursing student but the best option is to be on a bank contract so that you can be flexible. I will be going to uni from September as a mature nursing student and I’m going to also find financing it difficult, and managing my money is something I’m really going to have to learn as I’m not very good at it 😓 remember there are grants and bursaries that each university gives out to individuals so it’s worth looking into this. For example, I found out one university I’ve got an offer for will give a grant of £1000 just because I did an access course which will make a big difference to me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending