What A levels should I take if I want to study law at a top university? Watch

mionio1069
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am considering taking English literature, History and Religious Studies for A level. Would these be ok or should I consider taking other subjects instead?
ruthf
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mionio1069)
I am considering taking English literature, History and Religious Studies for A level. Would these be ok or should I consider taking other subjects instead?
I currently take History, Psychology, Sociology and Law and have just been offered a place at Oxford, LSE, UCL, King’s and Southampton. I think those are perfectly suitable A-levels. Maybe consider taking on a 4th for year 12 and potentially continuing it into year 13.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Sanjith Hegde123
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
swap out religious studies for philosophy i'd say.
mionio1069
Rep:
?
(Original post by ruthflame57)
I currently take History, Psychology, Sociology and Law and have just been offered a place at Oxford, LSE, UCL, King’s and Southampton. I think those are perfectly suitable A-levels. Maybe consider taking on a 4th for year 12 and potentially continuing it into year 13.
Our school does not allow us to take a 4th a level unfortunately.
ruthf
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Our school does not allow us to take a 4th a level unfortunately.
Then in that case I would say you’re absolutely fine!
sportyegg
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tbh you can do any A Levels for Law, but take the ones you mentioned as they’re ‘facilitating’.
Api00
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yeah they're great. I think I wanna do law aswell but I took law at a-level just because I was interested in it, however you don't need law a-level for law at uni, they recommend english lit and history for law at uni(I took english lit but gcse history killed me so I didnt take it for a-level).
Lucy12126
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
English literature, history and law
mionio1069
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lucy12126)
English literature, history and law
I considered doing law as an a level but I've heard that some univerisities disapprove of it. Is this true?
Lucy12126
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I heard that too, but whenever I went for interviews they always liked that I had studied law
Lucy12126
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I considered doing law as an a level but I've heard that some univerisities disapprove of it. Is this true?
I heard that too, but whenever I went for interviews they always liked that I had studied law
returnmigrant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Most 'top' Unis dont specify subjects for Law - just high grades. So you could be doing 3 sciences and that would be okay.
However, doing an 'essay' subject like History, Sociology etc will give you good writing/analysis skills and relevant background knowledge - but ultimately you should choose subjects where you feel most confident of A/A* grades.
RiddIes
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Any A-levels are fine, some universities may prefer you to have more solid ones as compared to softer a-levels. The ones you have are fine, maybe swap out RE for Law.

As to the concern of universities not preferring law, I personally found it was really helpful. The stuff you learn through A-levels can be used to give you a great foundation in some modules (criminal, tort, contract). Some lecturers dislike it as students think that their a-level knowledge is enough to get them a good mark in said modules; it isnt. If you merely use a-level law as a foundation and build upon it during lectures and seminars and further reading you will definitely see yourself getting good marks and being ahead of your peers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (134)
18.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (73)
9.93%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (127)
17.28%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (105)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (72)
9.8%
How can I be the best version of myself? (224)
30.48%

Watched Threads