Achieved an A* in EPQ (Product/Artifact) do you have questions?

Watch
fp1washard
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I did mine based on Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence). Specifically, it was about making a program that played chess against a human.
Obviously, this isn't to brag but when I was doing the EPQ, I noticed that the internet didn't provide a lot of material on the artifact side of the EPQ since the essay is a lot more popular; consequently, I may have tried a bit too hard and ended up wasting a lot of time which could have been better used in my AS revision. I'm sure you'll agree that it's a lot better to do less work to get the same grade. The product/artifact is not any harder or easier than the essay, in my opinion.
Oldl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m doing EPQ it’s due in March and I’ve only wrote a 1000 words, am I stuffed?
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oldl)
I’m doing EPQ it’s due in March and I’ve only wrote a 1000 words, am I stuffed?
I started my documentation in February, but it was crazy everyday. I'm assuming this is for your essay? You're on course, perhaps adding 200 words per day should get you there after edits. I wouldn't know a lot about the essay section but that's that. But for the highest grade, you cannot afford to prioritise anything else apart from compulsory chores like homework etc. Good luck!
purple26unicorn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I’m meant to give in the first essay draft (5000 words) by 19th February but I’ve only written over 1000 words. I’m losing motivation to do the essay mainly because the research that I have to carry out is difficult to find. Also, I’ve been prioritising homework/ revision/ studying especially now that I’ve been sitting January mocks. I don’t know if I should just continue on with my project or drop it.
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by purple26unicorn)
I’m meant to give in the first essay draft (5000 words) by 19th February but I’ve only written over 1000 words. I’m losing motivation to do the essay mainly because the research that I have to carry out is difficult to find. Also, I’ve been prioritising homework/ revision/ studying especially now that I’ve been sitting January mocks. I don’t know if I should just continue on with my project or drop it.
The EPQ is recognised by Universities- considered half an a level. I suggest you keep going. The motivation should be in your curiosity to explore your topic of interest, that was my only motivation. Again, I wouldn't know much about the essays since I didn't do an essay, I did an artifact instead. I suggest you keep going like I said. But it's up to you. Good luck!
blackvoid17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
HOLD UP I THOUGHT IT WAS ARTEFACT NOT ARTIFACT

also, is the report that you need to write with the artefact basically the same thing as the literature review or is it separate? my school hasn't given me a lot of info
Jack0161
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
How did you do your literature review?
aust.n
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Could you provide a link to the final artifact/product. I am a current year 10 looking to do something very similar with my EPQ project, how did you go about implementing such a program and what did you write about during the written part of the EPQ.What language did you write the AI program in and how long did it take you?
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by blackvoid17)
HOLD UP I THOUGHT IT WAS ARTEFACT NOT ARTIFACT

also, is the report that you need to write with the artefact basically the same thing as the literature review or is it separate? my school hasn't given me a lot of info
you can do whatever you want. Then you have a log with you documenting your conversations with your supervisor. And then you have a review of 1000 words. It is the same thing.
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jack0161)
How did you do your literature review?
I could give you my subtitles:

Intro- a long paragraph on my interest in this topic. 234 words

My journey in pursuing this program- How i've implemented the chess board, and then the different sections in the AI. Basically, how it all works. 840 words

Improvements- I specifically improved my graphical interface, and so that is what I talked about. 137 words

Reflection- how I could have furthered my improvements, what I like about the program. etc. 249 words

Mine goes a bit over 1000 words, but it was acceptable.
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by aust.n)
Could you provide a link to the final artifact/product. I am a current year 10 looking to do something very similar with my EPQ project, how did you go about implementing such a program and what did you write about during the written part of the EPQ.What language did you write the AI program in and how long did it take you?
I can't provide a link to the final product since it's on my mac, it's a program, unfortunately.
I think this whole project is based on how well you research and how well you reflect.
In total, the documentation of my research is about 9000 words.
My aim for this project was to also learn Scala (a programming language) which I used to write the program.
The program took me 4 days to write (1500 lines) after the research
and this is the next thing you need to be prepared -> it took me 3 weeks to debug (correcting errors in the code).

The funny thing is, I opened my report and there are a lot of grammatical and spelling errors. Yet AQA still gave me an A*. Literally rushed the report but the research was thorough. That obviously indicate how important the research is, with any product based project. Also, be thorough in your log, specifying what you researched when. Again, I believe I worked a bit too hard for my project.

Good luck!
rita56
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I already finished my epq and did presentation too, one of my audience ( English teacher) told me my presentation too scientific lol
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by rita56)
I already finished my epq and did presentation too, one of my audience ( English teacher) told me my presentation too scientific lol
what was it on?
rita56
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It was base on how gene therapy uses antisense drugs to treat inflammatory disease
Saffronz
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fp1washard)
I did mine based on Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence). Specifically, it was about making a program that played chess against a human.
Obviously, this isn't to brag but when I was doing the EPQ, I noticed that the internet didn't provide a lot of material on the artifact side of the EPQ since the essay is a lot more popular; consequently, I may have tried a bit too hard and ended up wasting a lot of time which could have been better used in my AS revision. I'm sure you'll agree that it's a lot better to do less work to get the same grade. The product/artifact is not any harder or easier than the essay, in my opinion.
Hey!! I was thinking of doing something to do with computer science, however I’m getting really stuck on what I would research (and that’s the most important stage of the epq) . I want to do a programming project and I’m not sure what to research!! What did you research and if you have any advice in general for a coding epq that would be amazing as my school doesn’t really know what’s happening. Thank you in advance!! Xx
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by Saffronz)
Hey!! I was thinking of doing something to do with computer science, however I’m getting really stuck on what I would research (and that’s the most important stage of the epq) . I want to do a programming project and I’m not sure what to research!! What did you research and if you have any advice in general for a coding epq that would be amazing as my school doesn’t really know what’s happening. Thank you in advance!! Xx
Well it depends on how complex your project is (make sure it is complex but also interesting at the same time of course since your examiner will be marking a lot of these- these examiners will know nothing about computer science by the way- so make sure your work is aimed at people like such). Research how others have come across the problem and perhaps annotate code that someone else has done (this will be long). State that you won't copy it but you'll take into the board the whole structure etc in your documentation. The documentation is perhaps the most important part of the epq.

Do ask anything if you're unsure, hopefully I was of some use to you. I was the first to do a project in my school, and seriously I felt alone working way too much than I actually needed.

All the best!
Ade2017
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What exam board were you with for EPQ? I’m doing artefact with OCR. So far I’ve done
Cover page, contents, picture of finished artefact ( jewellery), rationale, spider diagram, a general timeline in not too great detail ( I could do this in more detail if necessary) , diary, a written piece about the history and cultural meaning of the jewellery, a translation sheet as I was looking at African jewellery, an interview write up, specification for artefact, pictures of me making my jewellery with short descriptions to the side, a conclusion, references, (which I don’t think I’ve written up correctly!) And a bibliography. Oh I have also done evaluation
Of sources and some compare and contrasting of sources.
Please can you tell me if you think this is enough and how many were listed in your bibliography? I have got 21. Also I am waaaay over my word allowance argh
I really need to do well as I’m not good at exams and may well need a good grade to Pump up my a level results 😩thank you!!
frida4653742
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hi, im going to design and 3d render a character for my artifact, this will involve sketching and drawing in a sketchbook, should i write reports in that or a folder? does the plan count as the 1000 words? and is there any pre made logs or things i need to fill before i start? thanks.
fp1washard
Rep:
?
(Original post by frida4653742)
hi, im going to design and 3d render a character for my artifact, this will involve sketching and drawing in a sketchbook, should i write reports in that or a folder? does the plan count as the 1000 words? and is there any pre made logs or things i need to fill before i start? thanks.
The report you write should be separate to your artifact, so in a folder.
I recommend you to not submit a plan, just discard it after you've completed your project.
I recommend doing your research on how others designed and rendered a 3d model, what software you will use, compare and talk about why you've chosen that etc. Put all of this in your appendices at the end of your documentation and refer to it. Make sure it's in layman terms.
Any "pre made logs" or things you need to fill out before starting would've been assigned to you by your referee.
probsephelp
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Are there any extra pieces of research or interviews you used to flesh out your EP?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (60)
28.17%
No - I have already returned home (24)
11.27%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (47)
22.07%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (21)
9.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (61)
28.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed