Urgent- Toxic Fumes from radiator

Watch
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#1
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#1
Ok so last thursday I spray painted my radiator with Hammerite Radiator Enamel, and it has to be one of the biggest errors I have ever made. The fumes it is giving off in my room 5 days later is unbelievable. It has made me feel drowsy, causing breathing problems, headaches sore throats, you name it. I currently have 4 layers of bedsheets on it because the fumes wont go away! How on earth is this normal, of course I expected fumes to be coming off for a few days/weeks but the amount and the horrific smell from it and the fact that its not going away is really bothering me. I try and keep out my room where possible and always keep it ventilated but that is not enough. Can anyone please help I really don't know what to do, I might go to the doctors but is there really any point with the NHS these days. Is there any way I can strip it off the radiator

NEVER PAINTING EVER AGAIN!!!
0
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#2
Report 3 years ago
#2
Turn it off and tomorrow buy sandpaper and white spirit
0
reply
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#3
Report 3 years ago
#3
That product comes with a stack of safety warnings. Call Hammertite tomorrow on 0333 222 7171, and ventilate or sleep elsewhere in meantime.
1
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#4
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#4
(Original post by amibee)
Turn it off and tomorrow buy sandpaper and white spirit
I have had it off. Do you think sandpaper and white spirit will definitely do the job
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#5
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#5
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
That product comes with a stack of safety warnings. Call Hammertite tomorrow on 0333 222 7171, and ventilate or sleep elsewhere in meantime.
I am ventilating as much as possible but sleeping elsewhere isnt an option for me. I called them today and they said they would get a chemist or something to call me back tomorrow... another night of hell for me
1
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#6
Report 3 years ago
#6
(Original post by Fighter365)
I have had it off. Do you think sandpaper and white spirit will definitely do the job
Eventually, yes, that's what white spirit is made for, paint thinner. But it'll be a hard job to remove it all. Probably take a few days and a lot of arm ache. If you have the money, personally I'd be tempted to just buy a new radiator but that **** ain't cheap. Make sure you open all windows and wear a mask while doing it.
0
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#7
Report 3 years ago
#7
I also concur with drsocscience, call them tomorrow before you do anything.
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#8
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#8
(Original post by amibee)
I also concur with drsocscience, call them tomorrow before you do anything.
Do you think it could be worth just taking it off the wall for a few weeks until the fumes go?
0
reply
AperfectBalance
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
#9
Report 3 years ago
#9
Do not listen to amibee, dont add anything onto the radiator especially when you are not sure of what you are doing and could possibly hurt yourself
0
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#10
Report 3 years ago
#10
(Original post by Fighter365)
Do you think it could be worth just taking it off the wall for a few weeks until the fumes go?


Taking it off the wall would require you to isolate the water source. If you feel comfortable doing this then go for it but that's really a job for a plumber. I'd just keep it turned off, the windows open as much as possible and give the company a call in the morning. If you have head aches though I would go to an nhs walk in center. You're probably fine but if it is toxic, if the paint has mixed with something or you picked up a bad batch then that's not ideal and could be quite bad
0
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#11
Report 3 years ago
#11
(Original post by AperfectBalance)
Do not listen to amibee, dont add anything onto the radiator especially when you are not sure of what you are doing and could possibly hurt yourself
Yes I think she should call the company first. I have however stripped radiators of paint the way I suggested but absolutely call the company first
0
reply
Joinedup
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
#12
Report 3 years ago
#12
You've got it on a water filled radiator, not an electric heater... Right?
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#13
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#13
(Original post by Joinedup)
You've got it on a water filled radiator, not an electric heater... Right?
Water filled
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#14
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#14
(Original post by amibee)
Taking it off the wall would require you to isolate the water source. If you feel comfortable doing this then go for it but that's really a job for a plumber. I'd just keep it turned off, the windows open as much as possible and give the company a call in the morning. If you have head aches though I would go to an nhs walk in center. You're probably fine but if it is toxic, if the paint has mixed with something or you picked up a bad batch then that's not ideal and could be quite bad
Okay thanks, I really don’t have time to go there though waiting times are like 3+ hours the last time I heard
0
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#15
Report 3 years ago
#15
(Original post by Fighter365)
Okay thanks, I really don’t have time to go there though waiting times are like 3+ hours the last time I heard
I highly suggest that you at least visit a GP, but do what you think is best. But absolutely, as advised by drsocscience call them tomorrow and see what they suggest because they're going to know far more than any of us lot do! Best of luck
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#16
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#16
(Original post by amibee)
I highly suggest that you at least visit a GP, but do what you think is best. But absolutely, as advised by drsocscience call them tomorrow and see what they suggest because they're going to know far more than any of us lot do! Best of luck
Thanks, this is honestly stressing me out so much I just want to throw the stupid radiator out my window rn I have more important things to be worrying about than a worthless piece of metal
0
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#17
Report 3 years ago
#17
(Original post by Fighter365)
Thanks, this is honestly stressing me out so much I just want to throw the stupid radiator out my window rn I have more important things to be worrying about than a worthless piece of metal
I bet! Especially as you were probably painting it to make your room nicer and now all you have is massive sickness and you're freezing!
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#18
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#18
(Original post by amibee)
I bet! Especially as you were probably painting it to make your room nicer and now all you have is massive sickness and you're freezing!
Yeah it’s so stupid I only painted it because it was yellowing a bit and I was being a bit of a perfectionist but now I would do anything to turn back time 😂
1
reply
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
#19
Report 3 years ago
#19
(Original post by Fighter365)
Yeah it’s so stupid I only painted it because it was yellowing a bit and I was being a bit of a perfectionist but now I would do anything to turn back time 😂
Oh dear! Yeah I did something similar a few years back myself. And, apologies. Only just read the entire comments and seen that you replied to someone else saying you'd called them. Hope the chemist comes back with good/helpful news. It's a risky long shot but perhaps, if you rent, and the phone call is unhelpful, maybe biting the bullet and calling your landlord/letting agent might be your best bet. They would fix the issue for you (hopefully) but you'd likely have to foot the bill. But if they do fix it at least you'll be more comfortable. Just a suggestion if nothing else works.
0
reply
Fighter365
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
#20
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
#20
(Original post by amibee)
Oh dear! Yeah I did something similar a few years back myself. And, apologies. Only just read the entire comments and seen that you replied to someone else saying you'd called them. Hope the chemist comes back with good/helpful news. It's a risky long shot but perhaps, if you rent, and the phone call is unhelpful, maybe biting the bullet and calling your landlord/letting agent might be your best bet. They would fix the issue for you (hopefully) but you'd likely have to foot the bill. But if they do fix it at least you'll be more comfortable. Just a suggestion if nothing else works.
Nb
0
reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Reply
new posts
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads

View All