humanteaparty
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
How would you rank these 2 in terms of prestige for economics? Not interested in a career in IB but potentially one in finance.
Thanks in advance!
PenguinEmperor
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Eh I don't really bother with prestige, you will likely succeed based on the effort you put in equally at both universities. However if it helps I can provide a summary of what my first year and a bit of 2nd year of economics at Loughborough has been like

Hey, I am a second year Economics student at Loughborough, I'll include a summary of the first year of the course I've posted before . Also please note the experiences I had in my first year are just mine and the lecturers may change / the course change as the university is always looking at ways to improve.

For Pure Economics you will do:
Microeconomics (20 credits)
Macroeconomics (20 Credits)
Quantitative Economics (20 Credits)
Data Analysis I (10 Credits)
Data Analysis II (10 Credits)
Skills for Study and Employment (10 Credits)
Then you have 30 credits of optional modules (I Picked Introduction to Sociology, Introduction to Democratic Government and Political Ideologies)

Macro - It is a very big change from A levels, Lecturers are nice people, not always the easiest to understand when going through some things quickly but you as a University student are expected to go into further reading and revise everything there anyway

Macro 2nd Year - From what I've done so far I can say it becomes quite mathematical, with your work requiring greater deal of statistical evidence.

Micro - Very similar to A Level with just a few new topics in first year.
Quantitative Economics - You will have 3 exams and 1 coursework each being worth 25% of your grade, you can do extremely well in all the exams (100% is possible, though people mainly get them in the 2nd semester). The lecturers for this are not terrible, but the 2nd semester Lecturer is Awesome, first semester only adequate.

Micro 2nd Year - Very good lecturer who is always looking for ways to improve, but who I feel doesn't really need to improve much more :) It is quite similar to first year but as with Macro with mathematical component increases and has a different examination layout.

Data Analysis I & II are taken by a husband and wife team, with you having one each semester. Both are very friendly people who it is easy to go up to after class if you have not understood everything. A lot of the content of this you won't get immediately while listening in a lecture, but once you go over it at home and do the exercises we are given it becomes quite understandable. Both of these lecturers clearly want everyone to do well.

The Equivalent of this in 2nd year is Econometrics, is it compulsory for certain courses such as Pure Economics and optional for others. I would say this is much more difficult than our Data Analysis modules from first year as learning how to use programs to calculate data is a much larger component and therefore it is much more difficult to learn by doing, at least in the first semester. In the second semester I believe you do a lot more of the work yourself rather than listening to a lecturer.

Skills for Study and Employment - It has a few useful lectures, however attendance is sparse with the last 8 of 12 having 17 of us, partly I feel as some stuff is padded out to try and get enough lectures for the semester. The lecturer is a very nice woman, who is easy to go up and talk to, and if you put a small amount of effort into this module you will do very well.

I have a feeling once / if you get to Loughborough the attendance for this module will have gone up drastically as from next semester our attendance is going to be recorded by a system based of Loughborough's own app on our mobiles.

The only thing I have to say that is not great are the tutorials, while I have attended 95% of them only about 40% of them have been useful. I have had PhD students who have either been condescending, clearly not knowing how to teach and trying to rush you through the required material to leave, or PhD students who clearly haven't yet become confident in teaching and especially if English isn't their first language, have not yet mastered how to speak to a room full of people.
(From what I have heard this is a problem that occurs in many departments across the UK and relates to there not being enough hours in the day for a lecturer to not only do research but teach)

All of your lectures will take place in lecture theaters with 150-300 people, tutorials normally have about 20 people in them and are in a much more classroom environment.

The University does also provide extra mathematics classes if you haven't taken them at A Level, though I can't say much about them as I didn't take them. As well as this there are now Peer assisted learning classes for the Quantitative Economics module which are taken by students who have passed the module previously.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.57%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
15.66%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (33)
16.67%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (30)
15.15%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (54)
27.27%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (37)
18.69%

Watched Threads