foundation course at my sixth form college is terrible

Watch
foursides
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
... and im worried i won't be prepared for undergrad.
foundations meant for developing your skills right? we've done none of that. we've been researching artists and making moodboards, talking about what we would make if we were inspired by an artist, the only physical work we've been doing is things they're set for us (for example, silk screen printing when 2/3s of the people are doing sculpture or fashion or fine art. even the graphics students don't like it). we're over halfway through the course now and im so worried. everyone else on the undergrad course will have either have had a real foundation course where they actually developed their skills is various areas, or won't have done one because they dont need it.

(it doesn't help that our actual teacher has been in the hospital since mid october, so we've been having random covers or teachers that are too busy to care or even show up sometimes)
i've been working on my skills the best i can independently, but there's only so much i can do myself. advice?
username853993
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by foursides)
... and im worried i won't be prepared for undergrad.
foundations meant for developing your skills right? we've done none of that. we've been researching artists and making moodboards, talking about what we would make if we were inspired by an artist, the only physical work we've been doing is things they're set for us (for example, silk screen printing when 2/3s of the people are doing sculpture or fashion or fine art. even the graphics students don't like it). we're over halfway through the course now and im so worried. everyone else on the undergrad course will have either have had a real foundation course where they actually developed their skills is various areas, or won't have done one because they dont need it.

(it doesn't help that our actual teacher has been in the hospital since mid october, so we've been having random covers or teachers that are too busy to care or even show up sometimes)
i've been working on my skills the best i can independently, but there's only so much i can do myself. advice?
Have you spoken to your tutor/head of course/head of college about your concerns?

(dependant on your medium) what is stopping you from developing your art skills independently anymore than in the foundation course?

You say you've only done the work that has been set for you in class but whats stopping you learning/developing about the fundamentals of drawing and rendering in your own time? What is stopping you working on your techinical skills in things like acrylic painting, graphite, charcoal, digital painting, mixed media etc etc and then producing finished pieces of art.

You'll find that probably 90% of your time (that develops your actual art skills) at uni will be spent independently working on your art and that tasks you do that improve these will be things you've set yourself rather than by tutors

A lot of people who do art foundation + art degrees find that they dont progress much (relatively) to what they could have and thats because they seem to think that doing the assignments set and getting high marks is enough to have carry over to art ability, its not, it takes thousands of hours of planned practice consistently working on your weak points but a lot of art courses wont focus on this that much, when in reality it is the key thing to bring up your skills to a high (and employable) level in art. This is also one of the reasons why a lot of art jobs want a portfolio rather than asking for a art degree as they know that having a art degree is no indicator of your actual art abilities in most mediums
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.31%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (94)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.21%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.28%

Watched Threads