shahr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Zahra shahr

Hi everyone! This is my first post, so do please do excuse me if I come across as a bit dumb!
I am 30 years old and wish to become a Pharmacist ....I would like to know if I have a realistic chance of being accepted into university and would start to learn pharmacy, can I success from that ?
really i need to help ...Is anyone else in a similar situation to me?
I am a graduate architecture and had worked in field for 8 years ..now I would like to study pharmacy ...can i success ? and dose anybody information about pharmacy's Career future ? i mean that if i graduate pharmacy in future wich problem may be create for me ?
LittlePrincessXx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nah your not too old
Nobody101
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
go for It! You're never to old
username3585844
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think you mean pharmacist, and I don't think there's an age limit for that.
lil minx
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Nope, some people go to college/university much older than that so no I don't think you are too old. Good luck.
Ladbants
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm afraid it is indeed too late to transform into a shop that sells medicines. Not too late to become a pharmacist though.
303Pharma
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I was 43 when my first choice M.Pharm was accepted. This was with a BTEC Access to HE in Biology, Chemistry & Health Studies (2005/2006), and another BTEC Access to HE in Maths and Physics (2013/2014) prior to admission, to get back used to full time education and refresh these subjects. During my latest Access course there was a huge variety of ages in the class. One guy in his mid 50's, already retired, went on to study Electrical Engineering in Manchester University, because he had a passion for the subject, with no concern about future employment payoff.

Way I look at it, with advances in medicine, and increased knowledge about anti-ageing protocols, I've still got around three decades of working life in me. And, frankly, I've reached the point in my life were financial remuneration is no longer a priority.

I'd sooner have job satisfaction, knowing I'm putting my skills into something that benefits the wider community, rather than shareholders bank balance. Never to late to take a change in career. Life long learning ought to be encouraged more, imho.

So no, 30 is no-where near to old for a change in career path. You'd probably find many transferable skills from architect, particularly attention to detail, and professional ethics. Would take a lot of hard work and commitment, and possibly learning, or refreshing, at least, biology, chemistry and maths to A level standard.
DUBlin63
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
is 58 too old to want to become a pharmacist? i know it takes four years in university and then one year working in industry here in ireland. can anyone advise me if its too late for someone at my age
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by DUBlin63)
is 58 too old to want to become a pharmacist? i know it takes four years in university and then one year working in industry here in ireland. can anyone advise me if its too late for someone at my age
Hi DUBlin63,

It's definitely not too late at al! On the degree, there are a variety of ages from all different backgrounds we have many mature students on the course. Hope the reassures you! If there's any other concerns or questions let me know!

From,

Amina 2nd year Pharmacy Student and Student Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hi DUBlin63,

It's definitely not too late at al! On the degree, there are a variety of ages from all different backgrounds we have many mature students on the course. Hope the reassures you! If there's any other concerns or questions let me know!

From,

I don't mean to be rude, but are you seriously telling someone they can study pharmacy and qualify at around age 64, that's about 4 years before state retirement age in Ireland. So they will work for about half a decade? Is that really realistic with regards to fees of 37k plus living expenses loans? Would they even qualify for these as the likelihood of paying these back is minimal.
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UniofReading)
Hi DUBlin63,

From,

Regarding the question I posed, does UofRd not have an unofficial age cut off point?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 0895)
Regarding the question I posed, does UofRd not have an unofficial age cut off point?
So AMINA, AMBASSADOR from Reading Uni, do you have an answer from your department for myself and the 58 yr old?
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by 0895)
So AMINA, AMBASSADOR from Reading Uni, do you have an answer from your department for myself and the 58 yr old?
So the silence from Amina and Reading School of Pharmacy is deafening on a 58 yr old starting a pharmacy degree! Obvs, not ambassadoring today then!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (3)
8.57%
I need help researching courses (2)
5.71%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
8.57%
I need help with my personal statement (17)
48.57%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (7)
20%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
2.86%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (2)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise