The Student Room Group
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

My grades

I’m in my second year of BMS and honestly I thought I was doing okay, I kept on top of lecture notes etc and revised a lot for my exams, but I still failed them all. I don’t know why because everything I did, I put effort into. If I didn’t study I’d understand failing but I did study. It’s reslly pushing me down and is making me doubt my abilities, idk if it’s me or if it’d the uni. Please help
Third year BMS here! Glad to hear from another. I would potentially say that it could be to do with the wording of questions. If you feel like your efforts are fruitful and result in your understanding of the topics the perhaps the wording of some questions is throwing you off with what is actually being required! Are your exams heavily essay based or are there a mix of MCQs and short answers as well? I know some topics can be quite tricky and sometimes I can feel like I understand something but I’m not quite there yet! That’s a place that can become sticky in the Sciences as sometimes you can make assumptions based on incorrect findings which is a treacherous path! Anyway I digress, for me adjusting to the wording of university style questioning was a challenge so that’s why I suggest this!
At the Student's Union
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website
Original post by Daveboi115
Third year BMS here! Glad to hear from another. I would potentially say that it could be to do with the wording of questions. If you feel like your efforts are fruitful and result in your understanding of the topics the perhaps the wording of some questions is throwing you off with what is actually being required! Are your exams heavily essay based or are there a mix of MCQs and short answers as well? I know some topics can be quite tricky and sometimes I can feel like I understand something but I’m not quite there yet! That’s a place that can become sticky in the Sciences as sometimes you can make assumptions based on incorrect findings which is a treacherous path! Anyway I digress, for me adjusting to the wording of university style questioning was a challenge so that’s why I suggest this!

Are you at wlv? My exams are a bit of both, but this particular exam was MCQ and EMCQ, made failing so much worse. I feel like the university doesn’t provide enough information to work with and gives us basics only, where other university’s BMS course is heavily packed
No I’m at Ulster! Well a key aspect of university especially as the years go on, is self directed learning. At this level in the majority of cases you will only receive enough information for a pass and a bit above. In my experience somewhere between 40-50% is the scores achieved by those using lecture notes and everyone scoring up into 2:1 and certainly 1sts would be using a wide range of knowledge gathered from reading around the topic and outside sources! I know for MCQs it can certainly seem like all you would need to learn is the given material but generally there will be a good portion of the questioning based on anything to do with the topic! For myself, Ulster university is pretty heavily packed but all the lectures are always finished off with where to start looking to reading around the topic, so they would suggest papers to read, journals to look at etc. Personally I’m a fan of a good old pubmed article :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending