In gender pay gap probe, more men get payrise than women

Watch
AngeryPenguin
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
A "review" by presumably a team of white cis-het males concluded that the BBC did not discriminate against womens' pay, and prompty gave themselves a pat on the back and a pay rise.

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/bbc-men-pay-rise-gender/
limetang
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Here's the deal, the people who are making the claim that there is a pay gap and that it exists because of discrimination have to provide evidence of their claims. It's not good enough to show that a pay gap exists either, you must account for why it exists and demonstrate that gender discrimination is a significant factor in it. As of yet, I have not seen sufficient evidence for this claim so I don't believe it.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by limetang)
Here's the deal, the people who are making the claim that there is a pay gap and that it exists because of discrimination have to provide evidence of their claims. It's not good enough to show that a pay gap exists either, you must account for why it exists and demonstrate that gender discrimination is a significant factor in it. As of yet, I have not seen sufficient evidence for this claim so I don't believe it.
How can you though? Without being able to read the minds of those who make decisions you can never prove it. However it is accepted that women are just as able as men in industries like the media yet get paid on average less. If there isn't bias why do men on average get paid more?

Why did Carrie Gracie get paid less than her US male counterpart? The BBC even tried to pay her off. If that isn't an admission I don't know what is?
RustyShackelford
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Maybe they don't have the balls to ask for a pay rise?
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
"In gender pay gap probe more men get a payrise than women"

I know .
Isn't it wonderful!😁👍

You should be careful what you wish for.
Just my opinion
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by RustyShackelford)
Maybe they don't have the balls to ask for a pay rise?
Funny you should say that. If you have followed any of the aftermath from that joke of an interview with Cathy Newman and Jordan Peterson he made the point that a much higher percentage of women have a personality trait that means they are prone to agreeableness. Much more so than men and it is one of the major reasons women that negotiate their own pay accept lower offers than men do.
He teaches them how to avoid this in his practice and has helped them put plans in place that have trebled some women's pay over a 5yr period.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by AngeryPenguin)
A "review" by presumably a team of white cis-het males concluded that the BBC did not discriminate against womens' pay, and prompty gave themselves a pat on the back and a pay rise.

https://inews.co.uk/news/media/bbc-men-pay-rise-gender/
Is this some kind of synonym for 'normal'?
username521617
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
This debacle looks like it started when a bunch of female BBC employees found out what their male 'counterparts' were earning and discovered it was more in some cases, but didn't ask themselves why that was beyond gender discrimination. Salaries can vary significantly for similar jobs even within the same company. Things like experience, performance, salary negotiation, education, overtime and so on all have a bigger impact on salary than gender will (if it does at all). Unsurprisingly, the BBC audit didn't find any evidence of gender discrimination, but we'll need an outside audit telling us the exact same thing before these women can believe it. But they probably still won't.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (48)
31.58%
No - I have already returned home (19)
12.5%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
21.71%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
9.21%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
25%

Watched Threads