Why do so many people dislike Maths? Watch

username3748656
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
My cousin, dad and uncle all got top grades in A level Further Maths
I think that's a core reason why some of us may hate maths because we didn't grow up with it, your family members are very experienced in maths therefore the concept of maths was familiar with you at a young age. They know the importance of Maths A-Level (and it is a very important A-Level had I known how much Unis bend down for it I would've kicked my butt and do well in Maths GCSEs so I could do the A-Level) so therefore they ensured you would like it so that you could do well in it.
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
That's understandable, I perfectly understand that case. I'm autistic and sometimes I find it really difficult to understand parts of English like what questions are exactly asking me, and how emotive language works and rhetorical questions and stuff like that. I understand why You don't like Maths, but I don't see why other's why other's without Dyscalculia don't.
yeah, there's a lot of nuance and subtext in English, not enough cutting to the chase and clarity. I can imagine how that can cause issues for someone with Autism, my brother was similar (Aspergers). I think for other people it may just be that they have had issues with it in the past, perhaps their teachers haven't been very good or they have been put down? Just some thoughts.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It is taught very poorly. It is mainly applicable to the US education system, but I still find that "A Mathematician's Lament" serves as an excellent explanation.
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by IT65)
I think that's a core reason why some of us may hate maths because we didn't grow up with it, your family members are very experienced in maths therefore the concept of maths was familiar with you at a young age. They know the importance of Maths A-Level (and it is a very important A-Level had I known how much Unis bend down for it I would've kicked my butt and do well in Maths GCSEs so I could do the A-Level) so therefore they ensured you would like it so that you could do well in it.
Fair enough. I am also autistic and I am very good at mental Maths(there is a suspected correlation between people with autism and high Mathematical abilities), but I see your point in the way that I have always been told/taught to do well in Maths, but the best person at Maths in my year has parents who never did Maths after GCSE and he always get's 100% in basically every Maths test...
eulersnumber
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Loool u just have to practise hard. For gcse math i got a B, A level math an A

and now im studying maths at uni in my second year. I averaged 75% for my first year.

its just about practising
Zoqua
Rep:
?
(Original post by amibee)
yeah, there's a lot of nuance and subtext in English, not enough cutting to the chase and clarity. I can imagine how that can cause issues for someone with Autism, my brother was similar (Aspergers). I think for other people it may just be that they have had issues with it in the past, perhaps their teachers haven't been very good or they have been put down? Just some thoughts.
The best person in our year at Maths is Gifted Aspergers, and he also really struggles with English, so I suppose your brother would be in a similar situation, and probably a worse one than me. Teaching does matter, but if you work hard enough teaching shouldn't be that much of a problem.
camjessamine
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
Lots of people say Trig is difficult, but its not that difficult if you have been taught it properly(or GCSE Trig isn't anyway), just remember SOHCAHTOA and revise/practice using it, memorize the tan,sin,cos 0, 30, 45, 60, 90 and you should be ok.
Loool come back when you do a level xx
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's no tangible incentive to work hard if you don't really enjoy it.
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
The best person in our year at Maths is Gifted Aspergers, and he also really struggles with English, so I suppose your brother would be in a similar situation, and probably a worse one than me. Teaching does matter, but if you work hard enough teaching shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I agree with you, it requires persistence and a will to learn like anything else. My greatest maths achievement was getting a grade C at GCSE when I was 22. It absolutely pails in comparison to your maths achievements but I was proud of myself!! Took A LOT of hard work but it was worth it.
squeakysquirrel
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Zoqua)
I have always been someone who has been both naturally good at Maths, and revised for it, so I might be slightly biased here, but why do so many people find Maths difficult? Its not actually a very difficult subject.... I mean, most of the concepts are fairly basic if they are explained properly, and practiced. You don't need to be good at Maths to like Maths, some of my friends are not good at Maths naturally, but revise it so hard that they still get 75-90% on every test, and they enjoy it, even though they are not naturally good, so why do so many people hate it as a subject? Surely I thought it would be a much more well liked subject due to there only being one answer in most cases, rather than subjects like English or Religious Studies which are just ridiculously subjective. Maths is everywhere, so why do people find it so hard to understand, and dislike it so much?

TBH It's not only Maths, its really all STEM subjects, I just don't see why people hate them so much.
Sometimes people don't have a maths brain. I love maths. My daughter is doing a Phd in maths, my son is a physics and maths teacher. My eldest son is an arts man - hopeless at anything scientific but he has other talents
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
OP it’s because most people aren’t naturally inclined for Maths like you and I. I completely agree that maths is really a walk in the park, even at university level, but you gotta understand that some people just don’t really get maths even if they practiced for years. They would never truly understand a lot of the concepts. And with maths if you have holes in your theory knowledge you just can’t keep progressing while fully understand what you’re doing.
K8e.H
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
People are either english people or maths people. I’m a maths person (I got 100% in my National 5 and am planning on doing pure and stats at advanced higher). Maths just makes sense to me because there is a single correct answer - not like english when it depends on the marker. However, I completely understand that some people find maths tricky, and therefore don’t like doing it.
madmadmax321
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Night King)
OP it’s because most people aren’t naturally inclined for Maths like you and I. I completely agree that maths is really a walk in the park, even at university level, but you gotta understand that some people just don’t really get maths even if they practiced for years. They would never truly understand a lot of the concepts. And with maths if you have holes in your theory knowledge you just can’t keep progressing while fully understand what you’re doing.
I wouldnt say I have met anyone that would describe university maths as 'easy', even the people I know that get close to 100% in uni exams

Do you study maths at uni?
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by K8e.H)
People are either english people or maths people. I’m a maths person (I got 100% in my National 5 and am planning on doing pure and stats at advanced higher). Maths just makes sense to me because there is a single correct answer - not like english when it depends on the marker. However, I completely understand that some people find maths tricky, and therefore don’t like doing it.
I would would say that is more mathematical methods rather than maths, there are plenty of things in (proper) maths where the answer doesnt make sense
Texxers
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UWS)
Cos.
Genius. Absolutely genius.

I shed a tear of admiration at that joke, honestly that was hands down THE best joke I've seen in 2018 so far. Well done.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by madmadmax321)
I wouldnt say I have met anyone that would describe university maths as 'easy', even the people I know that get close to 100% in uni exams

I didn’t get close to 100% in maths, I got exactly 100%. I study engineering. I ace all my maths classes with 100% with barely any revision. In fact, only 2 hours before the exam day.
K8e.H
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I would would say that is more mathematical methods rather than maths, there are plenty of things in (proper) maths where the answer doesnt make sense
It’s not always about the answer making sense. I think you can at least agree that the answer is a lot more clear cut than english, where it is a matter of personal opinion.
Zoqua
Rep:
?

I didn’t get close to 100% in maths, I got exactly 100%. I study engineering. I ace all my maths classes with 100% with barely any revision. In fact, only 2 hours before the exam day.
Wow, your the only person apart from my uncle who I've ever met who got 100% in Uni Maths(And he went to Oxford at 16, came top there while 2 years younger than anybody else, and has a very high IQ(around 150), so very impressive, well done! You are quite possibly one of the best Mathematicians on TSR
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(while that is still very impressive, I couldnt do it) there is a huge difference between actual maths as a degree and the mathematical methods you cover in a engineering degree.

Mathematical methods (especially the way its approached in engineering, from what I have seen of my friends uni work) is imo a lot easier than the maths covered (and its approach) in a maths degree, engineering maths is covered in a way that isnt what I would describe as rigorous, as its just not important to cover it like that where as in a actual maths degree it is covered in a more rigorous, formal way by approaching it from a proof stand point (you havent covered why the maths works when approaching it from a mathematical methods stand point)
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by K8e.H)
It’s not always about the answer making sense. I think you can at least agree that the answer is a lot more clear cut than english, where it is a matter of personal opinion.
True but there is a clear difference between a well constructed essay in english and one that is poorly constructed, people can give different opinions/answers in a essay but there is still a clear structure of how to approach a argument and back up your opinion, which is where the marks come from rather than the opinion itself so its not obscure as to why someone gets X mark and someone gets Y mark (or at least as much as people seem to think) as there is a correct way to construct and write an essay even if it is based on opinion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What was the hardest A-level paper of 2019?

Edexcel Maths paper 1 (51)
22.27%
Edexcel Maths paper 2 (78)
34.06%
AQA Chemistry Paper 2 (48)
20.96%
Edexcel Maths Paper 3 (20)
8.73%
AQA Physics Paper 3 (32)
13.97%

Watched Threads