Why do so many people dislike Maths? Watch

shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Notnek)
Of course it's all relative but you have to draw the line somewhere otherwise only the best mathematician in the world would be "good" at maths. There are a few people on TSR who have said that getting an A* in A Level further maths doesn't mean you are good at maths. If they say that to the average person they'd think it was a joke.
Yeah, you’re right.I think it is because the more you progress and learn, the more you realise how the stuff you did before was much less difficult. For e.g. When you did GCSE maths you thought A level maths was hard, but when you did A level you thought GCSE was so much easier. It really depends what level you’re at.
Notnek
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
It's by far the most popular A-level.

Spoiler:
Show

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...-a7899851.html
Hmm this disagrees with my quiz. I can't remember where I got the data from.
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by The Night King)
Yeah, you’re right.I think it is because the more you progress and learn, the more you realise how the stuff you did before was much less difficult. For e.g. When you did GCSE maths you thought A level maths was hard, but when you did A level you thought GCSE was so much easier. It really depends what level you’re at.
Yes it's easy to get stuck in a bubble surrounded by others who are good at maths, you forget that there are adults who can't solve basic equations.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Charliewiz)
There is only on right answer to that question as it says to find the roots. If you only gave one root it would be an incorrect answer.
But there are 2 solutions
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hmm this disagrees with my quiz. I can't remember where I got the data from.
Well at least Maths is still top.

There's also this but it's harder to summarise:
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
username3722220
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For me, it was the poor teaching in secondary school. The maths tutors were shockingly boring and didn't really have a passion for it, which certainly rubbed off on me.
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Doonesbury)
Well at least Maths is still top.

There's also this but it's harder to summarise:
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm
I remember having to do some calculations on a spreadsheet but it doesn't line up with that data exactly. Oh well.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it's easy to get stuck in a bubble surrounded by others who are good at maths, you forget that there are adults who can't solve basic equations.
It can sometimes be frustrating though. Recently a guy asked me to help him with some basic complex numbers stuff. Like “z = 1 + i find the modulus and the argument” basic. It takes no more than 20 seconds. I think it took a good hour for him to kinda get it. Maybe I’m just bad at teaching idk:laugh:
JadaSealy
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Because it’s irrelevant. There are certain topics which are NOT relevant in this society, yet I have to sit through it 3 days a week.

Trigonometry (cos, sin, tan), algebra, Pythagoras theorem and finding the mid point are the most STUPID, IRRELEVANT, UNNECESSARY topics I have ever studied.

Ask your parents and they’d say that in there time working, it hasn’t been useful I one way.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
computuring
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I don't hate maths, i'm more indifferent to it, i just can't help but find it so pointless. There are obviously a few applications of it, but they are rarely addressed. I find sciences like physics so much more fascinating than maths, because you can see how it works directly in this world, and it actually explains certain phenomena. Please someone tell me the point of being able to sketch a quadratic function (this is not even sarcasm, i genuinely want to know because no one ever says)
I think this is fairly common and may be why so many people hate maths, but although i have a logical brain, i enjoy subjects that have more meaning to me, rather than ones that i am just good at.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JadaSealy)
Because it’s irrelevant. There are certain topics which are NOT relevant in this society, yet I have to sit through it 3 days a week.

Trigonometry (cos, sin, tan), algebra, Pythagoras theorem and finding the mid point are the most STUPID, IRRELEVANT, UNNECESSARY topics I have ever studied.

Ask your parents and they’d say that in there time working, it hasn’t been useful I one way.
All are very useful concepts. On their own they aren’t. But you need to know them in order to build a foundation. They have a lot of real life applications too. Let’s take Shear Modulus as an example, it requires some trig knowledge. Shear modulus is applied for friction between car tyres and the ground. Are you saying that isn’t useful?

Everything around us involves Mathematics. Everything can be expressed through numerical values.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by computuring)
I don't hate maths, i'm more indifferent to it, i just can't help but find it so pointless. There are obviously a few applications of it, but they are rarely addressed. I find sciences like physics so much more fascinating than maths, because you can see how it works directly in this world, and it actually explains certain phenomena. Please someone tell me the point of being able to sketch a quadratic function (this is not even sarcasm, i genuinely want to know because no one ever says)
I think this is fairly common and may be why so many people hate maths, but although i have a logical brain, i enjoy subjects that have more meaning to me, rather than ones that i am just good at.
Quadratic functions are more than algebraic curiosities—they are widely used in science, business, and engineering. The U-shape of a parabola can describe the trajectories of water jets in a fountain and a bouncing ball, or be incorporated into structures like the parabolic reflectors that form the base of satellite dishes and car headlights. Quadratic functions help forecast business profit and loss, plot the course of moving objects, and assist in determining minimum and maximum values. Most of the objects we use every day, from cars to clocks, would not exist if someone, somewhere hadn't applied quadratic functions to their design.
Notnek
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JadaSealy)

One of the most important reasons for studying maths is to build logic, reasoning and problem solving skills. This is why maths qualifications are so highly valued by universities and employers even if the degree/job is not related to maths. You can't expect the whole of secondary school maths to be adding up and finding percentages. It has to build in difficulty.

It's the same in every subject. For example, you may have found analysing poetry pointless when you were doing it and you probably haven't looked at these poems since. But analysing poetry improves many skills related to language.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of the most important reasons for studying maths is to build logic, reasoning and problem solving skills. This is why maths qualifications are so highly valued by universities and employers even if the degree/job is not related to maths. You can't expect the whole of secondary school maths to be adding up and finding percentages. It has to build in difficulty.

It's the same in every subject. For example, you may have found analysing poetry pointless when you were doing it and you probably haven't looked at these poems since. But analysing poetry improves many skills related to language.
It actually pisses me off when people call maths concepts, that are necessary to build a good foundation, useless. Without those we wouldn’t quite have the level of engineering and technology we do today. Those concepts play a vital role into our world and they do have important real life applications.
faloodeh
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just hate maths, im not a maths person and i find it really boring
thotproduct
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mathematics means different things to different people. To me it's the ingenious application of logic, philosophy and to a great extent creativity to solve problems.

People may say certain concepts taught in Mathematics at a basic secondary level are irrelevant in working life, but even so, the qualities and values you bring to the table for having problem solving skills are absolutely invaluable.
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AryanGh)
Mathematics means different things to different people. To me it's the ingenious application of logic, philosophy and to a great extent creativity to solve problems.

People may say certain concepts taught in Mathematics at a basic secondary level are irrelevant in working life, but even so, the qualities and values you bring to the table for having problem solving skills are absolutely invaluable.
Except they aren’t irrelevant at all, so those people are wrong. Of course if you end up working in Tesco you’re never going to use some concepts ever again. But for let’s say an Engineer, those basic concepts are still used within much more complex concepts to test certain features of projects and make sure their creation, be it a bridge, a phone, etc. is succesful and error free.
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It actually pisses me off when people call maths concepts, that are necessary to build a good foundation, useless. Without those we wouldn’t quite have the level of engineering and technology we do today. Those concepts play a vital role into our world and they do have important real life applications.
When people say they are useless though they dont mean that they are never useful (ie they are useful in the places you are talking about), rather that they will never personally find a use for them in their career (and this is applicable to 99% of people). So what they are saying is that it is useless to them rather than the concepts always being useless (and for the people who think the concepts are just useless all the time thats just because they arent aware/being made aware of the applications of maths as you need to reach a certain level of education to see them, I dont remember much about gcse but I dont think I learnt the applications of most maths that I know until I was at uni and even then I know a good chunk of maths that I have never and will never apply to real world applications)
shameful_burrito
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by madmadmax321)
When people say they are useless though they dont mean that they are never useful (ie they are useful in the places you are talking about), rather that they will never personally find a use for them in their career (and this is applicable to 99% of people). So what they are saying is that it is useless to them rather than the concepts always being useless (and for the people who think the concepts are just useless all the time thats just because they arent aware/being made aware of the applications of maths as you need to reach a certain level of education to see them, I dont remember much about gcse but I dont think I learnt the applications of most maths that I know until I was at uni and even then I know a good chunk of maths that I have never and will never apply to real world applications)
That is a good point.

Also, the good chunk of maths that yet has no real life application could very well do in a distant future. A lot of purely mathematical results could later find applications in very surprising ways. And you rarely know, which result will prove crucial and when. Mathematics is great because of its timeless nature - something discovered and written right now could be dusted off and used 200 or 300 years late.
madmadmax321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
That is a good point.

Also, the good chunk of maths that yet has no real life application could very well do in a distant future. A lot of purely mathematical results could later find applications in very surprising ways. And you rarely know, which result will prove crucial and when. Mathematics is great because of its timeless nature - something discovered and written right now could be dusted off and used 200 or 300 years late.
Very true, I should of worded the last bit a bit better, I mean I will never know the applications of some of the maths I know rather than there being no applications
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 3 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (316)
15.28%
The paper was reasonable (1133)
54.79%
Not feeling great about that exam... (453)
21.91%
It was TERRIBLE (166)
8.03%

Watched Threads