gandalfhan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys,

Do you have any advice or ways of how to answer questions from each section e.g. An Inspector Calls, anthology poems under 30 minutes? Because I feel like there's not enough time to answer them properly. In last mock, I got a 4 and got only 14 out of 30 for the first section. Also, timing may not be a problem but the way I put the content in. I remembered the quotes, analysed them and I tried to analyse other quotes etc. I try to follow the acronyms that teacher give us that may help us for analysing poems and comparing them but it seems I'm doing something wrong. However, I will try to upload the photos of what I wrote on that exam so you guys would be able to give me more detailed insight. So, what do you do to achieve a lot of marks under these conditions?
elizabeth20013
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I tend to struggle with timings as well, but unfortunately the only way to do it is to keep doing practice questions. If you don't have a revision guide with exam questions in, ask your English department for some or if they won't give you any, pm me and I can send you some my teacher sent me (I do Animal Farm, Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and Power and Conflict). The good thing about doing loads of questions is that you're not just practising timing, you're also revising the texts and quotes at the same time too Also, remember to do a well-structured plan before you start writing your essay as this will help you see where you've included everything you need to to get a higher grade. Good luck
gandalfhan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Thank you very much. However, the thing is when I'm analysing e.g. Mr Birling, I have so many ideas and good points to put into my answer that I end up with putting minor ones and I don't know why. Same with poems, when doing Neutral Tones I had two really good points but I had to follow the acronym called FLIRT (F-Form, L-Language, I-Images, R- Rhyme, T-Tone). I believe I'm not using it properly. Do you think if I would post my exam here on Friday, would it be alright?
worldisright
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by elizabeth20013)
I tend to struggle with timings as well, but unfortunately the only way to do it is to keep doing practice questions. If you don't have a revision guide with exam questions in, ask your English department for some or if they won't give you any, pm me and I can send you some my teacher sent me (I do Animal Farm, Macbeth, Jekyll and Hyde and Power and Conflict). The good thing about doing loads of questions is that you're not just practising timing, you're also revising the texts and quotes at the same time too Also, remember to do a well-structured plan before you start writing your essay as this will help you see where you've included everything you need to to get a higher grade. Good luck
hi i struggle finding practise papers for jekyll and hyde, power and conflict poems and macbeth. english lit is smy weakest subject. can u pls send me a few questions? thnks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.67%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.11%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
16.89%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.11%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (60)
26.67%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (44)
19.56%

Watched Threads