Connorx1999
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello, I’m soon to finish my a levels (biology, chemistry and physics) in which I predict I’ll get an A for chem, B for bio and C for phys. I would like to get in to a decent job in the field of forensics. I haven’t a maths a level so to do a BSc Chemistry i’d need to do a time (and money) consuming preliminary year. I’ve been denied entry to pharmacology and biochemistry, leaving my options slim with a BSc Forensic Science. However, I’ve heard a great deal of people refer to it as a ‘Mickey Mouse’ degree and relatively useless if you want to get a good job as a forensics expert, however it seems like a very interesting course and only requires a B in bio or Chem to enter. What would be my best bets? Should I give up on a career in forensics or is there another route?
Thank youu
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Connorx1999)
Hello, I’m soon to finish my a levels (biology, chemistry and physics) in which I predict I’ll get an A for chem, B for bio and C for phys. I would like to get in to a decent job in the field of forensics. I haven’t a maths a level so to do a BSc Chemistry i’d need to do a time (and money) consuming preliminary year. I’ve been denied entry to pharmacology and biochemistry, leaving my options slim with a BSc Forensic Science. However, I’ve heard a great deal of people refer to it as a ‘Mickey Mouse’ degree and relatively useless if you want to get a good job as a forensics expert, however it seems like a very interesting course and only requires a B in bio or Chem to enter. What would be my best bets? Should I give up on a career in forensics or is there another route?
Thank youu
To me, if you want a career in the field of forensics, a degree in forensic science is a perfectly logical thing to do...

I've moved your thread into Biology, biochemistry and other life sciences university courses so you should hopefully get advice from the experts.
lolsnort
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depending on which University you're interested in, it may be worth looking into Biological Sciences. Quite a few have the option to study Forensic Science, usually in the second year.

Which aspect of Forensics are you interested in? Lab or field work? From those I've spoken to in the industry, it's such a competitive field and extremely hard to get into. I was basically told Forensic Science would open the door to Forensic Science but something more generalised like Biology would open the door to a vast range of OTHER careers, whilst still allowing me to work in Forensics should I wish to. I was also told for field work a wide variety of degrees are useful, including those who have studied Archaeology...

Have you contacted the university directly that denied you entry onto Biochemistry? I was originally denied onto BSc Biology (messed up an exam on my access course so was short on some credits lol). After I spoke to them they changed their mind. For a lot of Universities the first year of Biological Sciences (Biochemistry, Biology, Marine Biology) are the same and they let you transfer after the first year depending on your grades so it may be worth looking into that too.
DrSocSciences
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Bit of a hot topic. I suggest you do some research about recent developments in the standards of forensic work in relation to sub-contracted evidence analysis, as this may lead to structural changes in the profession, which would affect your long-term career opportunities.
TomW624
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, i am a graduate of the RGU Forensic and Analytical Science course. I dont know if it still is but when i was on the course, graduated last year, it was the only one in the Uk to have accreditation from the The Chartered Society of Forensic Sciences. Now i was told a lot before i did the degree that to work in forensics its preferred you have a more broad general science degree but i do know of some people who went into forensics from doing my course however many of the people we had talk to us about working in forensics started in completely different fields, one was a marine biology photographer before hand. I dont know about other courses but mine had a huge emphasis on practical work for forensics, general lab chemistry and lab biology. So many people have gone on to work in general labs as assistants and technicians and what not because the course taught a broad range of skills, a few are even now on PhDs.

I wouldnt advise against doing a uni course in forensics however i would say you should pick one that teaches you other skills not purely forensics, like i say analytical chemistry will do wonders for you and is probably more important if you want to work in tox or something. Up until this year my current employer was the biggest private forensic service in the uk, does loads of lab based stuff, and they prefer that you have lab experience and knowledge of scientific methods rather than knowing all the forensic stuff because thats easier to teach.

Also if you pick a more multi discipline course all may not be lost if you decide 2 years in you no longer want to do forensics. This is what happened to me but my course was comprehensive enough that i had all the skills that i needed to work in a lab, im now a lab assistant, and now i know what i want to do more i have a place to do a MSc in Immunology at Imperial College starting this October.

TL;DR Pick a forensics course which has a good focus on core science and lab work. A forensics degree isn't needed to work in forensics and allegedly may hold you back but may prepare you for roles you dont even know you want yet.
RegisteredBMS
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A friend of a friend informed me that this is a career that you need at least an MSc in to get anywhere. Not sure how true that is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Do you work while at uni?