What is GCSE music like? year 9 picking GCSEs

Watch
soccer827
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm picking my GCSEs and for me able to do music tec when I'm older I'm gonna have to do GCSE music. I am using DJing for my 60% coursework but I am gonna be the first student in my school to be using DJing. so obviously my school won't have any studios so I will be using my DJ school's equipment. I am not exactly sure if I am going to enjoy it since my teacher explained to me that we would be learning other genres like classical etc. I know its good to explore other genres but from a student that did music GCSE what is it like?

and sorry for the long text, I am not that good at getting to the point lol.
username2356659
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
You could try Music Technology if your school offers it. It's similar to Music but it's more synth-based, so might be for you if you're into DJ.
soccer827
Rep:
?
(Original post by KingCamembert)
You could try Music Technology if your school offers it. It's similar to Music but it's more synth-based, so might be for you if you're into DJ.
sadly my school doesn't offer it, if I cant find another way I guess I'm gonna be learning about classical which may be good for my DJing career, I dunno how but fingers crossed.
zarzie123
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Music GCSE does have classical music study in it but that's only a small part of it. You study loads of different genres that are all really different. I would say it's a good idea to pick it if you're wanting to do something musical in the future. It also gives you the option to take music A level if you like the GCSE
iWonTaekIt
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I did GCSE music but obviously the spec has changed now so I can't say much regarding the content. What I can say though, is that it depends heavily on your teacher. My teacher was very firm but fair, and also serious. He was classically trained so we got 2 bits of homework as a minimum every week and actually did work. It was my hardest subject. Most people I know took music as a 'soft' subject because their teachers would just slack off and let them go on Youtube and play on the keyboard every lesson.
My old spec was mostly classical music, but when it comes to the compositions, you have a little more freedom as one of them is a free piece.
If your teacher is actually good and serious about GCSE music, take it. It's hard and I may have even put you off, but it's so worth it.
Also, you usually need GCSE Music to do any music related courses in college so if you need it, well then... you have to do it i guess haha.
soccer827
Rep:
?
(Original post by iWonTaekIt)
I did GCSE music but obviously the spec has changed now so I can't say much regarding the content. What I can say though, is that it depends heavily on your teacher. My teacher was very firm but fair, and also serious. He was classically trained so we got 2 bits of homework as a minimum every week and actually did work. It was my hardest subject. Most people I know took music as a 'soft' subject because their teachers would just slack off and let them go on Youtube and play on the keyboard every lesson.
My old spec was mostly classical music, but when it comes to the compositions, you have a little more freedom as one of them is a free piece.
If your teacher is actually good and serious about GCSE music, take it. It's hard and I may have even put you off, but it's so worth it.
Also, you usually need GCSE Music to do any music related courses in college so if you need it, well then... you have to do it i guess haha.
yeah, I guess I have no choice lol, but yeah my teacher is a good teacher and he said he would be happy teaching me so I think I'm fully convinced on doing music GCSE. thanks for your help and have a nice day!
soccer827
Rep:
?
(Original post by zarzie123)
Music GCSE does have classical music study in it but that's only a small part of it. You study loads of different genres that are all really different. I would say it's a good idea to pick it if you're wanting to do something musical in the future. It also gives you the option to take music A level if you like the GCSE
yeah, I want to become a music producer/DJ so I guess I will have to learn about other genres and I might even enjoy it. Thanks for your help and have a nice day!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (13)
14.29%
I need help researching courses (7)
7.69%
I need help with filling out the application form (6)
6.59%
I need help with my personal statement (36)
39.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (23)
25.27%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.2%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (4)
4.4%

Watched Threads