The Student Room Group

GCSE options too much pressure?

Hi everyone!
So currently I’m choosing my options for gcse and here are my following subjects -economics, computer science ,French and geography.I want to take triple science but our science department will decide that by the end of year 9.So my question is will all those subjects combined with triple science be way too much pressure for me(keep in mind I want to get an A or above in my exams)and can I attain high grades with the following subjects?Also should i change economics with history as it is more high regarded by top universities?
Thanks all
Wow, that’s a hard set of GCSEs you got there. I think what you need to pick is something you enjoy because it’s so so so important to have a subject that you can look forward to, enjoy learning in, and then your positive attitude from that will last into your other subjects and really help you get through the revision and tough patches. That would be my priority if I could go back at least. Also, think about your strengths, how focused you are and how organised you can be.
To be honest GCSE choices arent huge for University since some centres don't offer certain courses. Pick what you enjoy most!
Reply 3
Hey,
I'm in Year 11 and take similar subjects to the ones you're considering - Economics, Computing, French, and History. I think if you're willing to put the work in, go ahead and take them. Enjoyment should have a much larger weighting on your decision rather than appealing to universities though, since your grades matter a lot more than the subjects you take:smile: .
Reply 4
Hey AlbabA,
Do you enjoy all the topics you listed like economics and computer science? Also, is the pressure overwhelming for you as the topics are very hard and academic.My final question is did you take triple science.
Reply 5
Hey AlbabA,
Do you enjoy all the topics you listed like economics and computer science? Also, is the pressure overwhelming for you as the topics are very hard and academic.My final question is did you take triple science.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by FH727
Hi everyone!
So currently I’m choosing my options for gcse and here are my following subjects -economics, computer science ,French and geography.I want to take triple science but our science department will decide that by the end of year 9.So my question is will all those subjects combined with triple science be way too much pressure for me(keep in mind I want to get an A or above in my exams)and can I attain high grades with the following subjects?Also should i change economics with history as it is more high regarded by top universities?
Thanks all

It doesn’t matter what gcse subjects you do as long as you get higher grade, chose ones you enjoy therefore you’ll go better. An a is a 7 on the new gcse so you’re better referring to it as a 7 rather than an A. GCSEs include some as level knowledge (I’m currently the first year to be sitting my GCSEs with every single one in the new spec, meaning basically I have 23 gcse/AS level exams, not fun. I would chose geography as history Is so hard on the new spec, 100 timed harder than KS3
Reply 7
Original post by FH727
Hey AlbabA,

Hey,
Personally, I don't find the two you've mentioned particularly riveting lol, but many people in my classes do and are looking to continue them at A Level. I would recommend you briefly look at the specification for each subject and see if any of it interests you.

Pressure wise, I don't think it's too bad tbh. Economics and computing aren't that bad in terms of content, history on the other hand is a handful! Just make sure you revise and pay attention in class, you'll be fine:smile:

And no, I didn't put much effort into science back in year 9, so I wasn't allowed to do it. Still salty about it but hey-ho, it's easier to get a 9 in combined than in triple :P

P.S. Economics may be more interesting for you guys because you'll be on the new specification, so don't take my word for it!
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest