MiszShorTea123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Woksin)
Hi!
I ask this question because when I read lots of comments about Halal meat, people say it is a lot better than normal methods.
I too was a believer of this myself as I was sure the animal was fully stunned first.

That was until I bumped into an old friend and we got chatting. He works at a normal slaughterhouse, but sometimes fills in for staff in Halal slaughterhouses.
From what I’ve been told by him genuinely made me feel sick. He says himself that Halal is much more cruel and sad.
He tells me most of the time the blades that cut the throats are blunt, which no access to sharpen them, and so have to violently ‘saw’ into the throats with their blunt knifes.
He also mentioned that on numerous occasions workers (speaking in arabic) often didn’t stun the animal, even though they are actually supposed to.

I thought I’d just share this as this guy has actually been there and done it, so he knows.

What’s people’s thoughts?

Would like to point out he made it very clear to me several times that normal slaughterhouses, whilst still rather gross, were much more ethical than the Halal ones he’s been to.
Ever heard of HMC certified meat?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Woksin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by MiszshorTea786)
Ever heard of HMC certified meat?
I cannot either deny or confirm if it was a HMC certified slaughterhouse as I don’t have access to that infomercial
MiszShorTea123
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Woksin)
I cannot either deny or confirm if it was a HMC certified slaughterhouse as I don’t have access to that infomercial
Well I will be able to let you know, from your description that it certainly was not HMC certified.

This sort of malpractice is expected from Halal butchers it's nothing new. HMC on the other hand, are very through they will have an every month check up see everything is running smoothly equipment used are appropriate as well as the slaughtering itself.
Ninja Squirrel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No.
Jay__1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think it should be kept, however I think there should be tighter rules and more inspections to make sure the service is up to par.
Woksin
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by MiszshorTea786)
Well I will be able to let you know, from your description that it certainly was not HMC certified.

This sort of malpractice is expected from Halal butchers it's nothing new. HMC on the other hand, are very through they will have an every month check up see everything is running smoothly equipment used are appropriate as well as the slaughtering itself.
That’s good! I hope people but HMC then!
CleverSquirrel
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
its just meat at the end of the day, no matter how its cut
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Only if Kosher is banned as well.
TheBBQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Yes
chance23
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
I think the only people who can complain about non-halal/ halal/kosher meat etc are people who are vegans/vegetarians etc.

I find it amusing when people who still eat meat, then go on and complain about halal meat because it's 'cruel', yet they are still more than happy to eat the dead animal (that has been killed in whatever way) in front of them..?

If people really care about animals at the end of the day, then you wouldn't eat them to begin with? Why do you care about how the meat is killed if you are a meat eater yourself? and don't say because halal is cruel - you're telling me stunning animals isn't cruel? It's just as bad.

Also with regards to the knife being blunt, then that is the butchers fault not Islam's fault surely?

I agree with whoever said before me (can't remember who now) that better regulation is needed.

But it will never be banned (or at least not in the UK) as halal meat is a billion pound industry now, and the government would never ban a big money making business like that.
h333
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No
ilikecats12
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
No, it’s a matter of religious freedom and equality. Britain has a large and thriving Muslim community who have different dietary needs and they have the right to slaughter their meat in their traditional ways
Angry Bird
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by CleverSquirrel)
its just meat at the end of the day, no matter how its cut
username775001
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
ban it has no place in 21st c Britain
none of that liberal bs
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by osnapitzibby)
A sharp blade is supposed to be used, according to Islamic teachings-to put the animal through minimal pain possible
Minimum pain possible would be pre-stunning the animal so it falls unconscious instantly and therefore doesn't feel any pain at all when its throat is slit.

In answer to the OP, as long as the animal is pre-stunned then I have no problem with halal. What should be banned is the vile and inhumane slaughter of animals while they're still conscious.
snmboy007
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
Minimum pain possible would be pre-stunning the animal so it falls unconscious instantly and therefore doesn't feel any pain at all when its throat is slit.

In answer to the OP, as long as the animal is pre-stunned then I have no problem with halal. What should be banned is the vile and inhumane slaughter of animals while they're still conscious.
Agreed
username3679372
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Obvs no
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by chance23)

I find it amusing when people who still eat meat, then go on and complain about halal meat because it's 'cruel', yet they are still more than happy to eat the dead animal (that has been killed in whatever way) in front of them..?
That's not necessarily true. I eat meet but would hope the meet I eat was killed in a humane way i.e. stunned before slaughter.

I think the problem meat eaters have is that since they have never witnessed the slaughter process or raised animals, they don't appreciate what it involves. Beef isn't a cow that has been raised and slaughtered. It is a packet on the supermarket shelf with Beef written on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (142)
27.36%
No (377)
72.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise