The Student Room Group

Should Halal meat be banned in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by paul514
Obviously.....

Doesn’t mean the animal should be conscious for it though

Mr animal welfare officer sir...

As i said above shocking an animal with 50,000v or more is not acceptable.

If the animal is killed by stun and the heart stops pumping or if it dies how do you make it halal?

People need to stop bashing halal meat if they care about animals then dont eat meat - so stunning should not be allowed.

Where are the vegans...
Reply 61
Original post by VMD100
Use the sharpest knife on earth and say whatever prayer you want but if you don't stun a cow prior to slaughter it will feel immense pain as they have major blood supply on the back of their neck, which is not cut during killing. Therefore regardless of religion and whether or not inhumane practices should be allowed on religious grounds this is unacceptable.

But to make an animals suffer from an electric shock is acceptable? How do you know if slaughter is more harmful than stun?

Did you become a cow and experience it and came back to tell us?

Quit the bashing. Piss off a cop and let him stun you with a tazer and let us know how you feel after. Oh and by the way an animal stun is longer at higher voltages.

End of topic.
Original post by nadman
But to make an animals suffer from an electric shock is acceptable? How do you know if slaughter is more harmful than stun?

Did you become a cow and experience it and came back to tell us?

Quit the bashing. Piss off a cop and let him stun you with a tazer and let us know how you feel after. Oh and by the way an animal stun is longer at higher voltages.

End of topic.

Well here is some none science if I ever did read it ^^ :angry:

The point is that when you slit most throats this cuts the major blood supply to the brain and therefore the oxygen supply that keeps it sentient. However cows have another supply, the invertebral supply. This means that even after severing the first artery the cow feels pain and is conscious for longer periods of time. So no, I have not been reincarnated from bovine to human, I have just studied simple anatomy and recommend you attempt the same. Regardless of personal beliefs I would personally refuse to follow barbaric tradition over simple fact.

When you are tasered it is not to the cranial region. Shocks are delivered to an animals brain in such a method as to override normal brain electrical activity and render them in an epileptic like state. Unconscious and insensitive to pain. To stun and then slaughter by the halal method personally I believe is fine as the animal has been rendered insensitive to pain.

For reference voltage means absolutely nothing without adequate current.

Also perhaps in future refrain from swearing and acting childish on an educational forum because somebody intellectually challenges your viewpoint. It doesn't really reflect you as a well collected individual - which I am sure you aim to be :smile:

If you have any more questions you're unqualified to answer feel free to send them this way though.
Original post by nadman
Mr animal welfare officer sir...

As i said above shocking an animal with 50,000v or more is not acceptable.

If the animal is killed by stun and the heart stops pumping or if it dies how do you make it halal?

People need to stop bashing halal meat if they care about animals then dont eat meat - so stunning should not be allowed.

Where are the vegans...

Your argument is based upon a stun not being instant unconsciousness, which for the extreme majority it is.

If it heart stops how do you make it halal? I don’t care.

Your final argument is my entire point you seem to think it’s hypocritical to treat animals as well as possible if you eat meat.

It isn’t, they should be fed, reared, treated and killed in the best possible way.
Reply 64
Original post by VMD100
Well here is some none science if I ever did read it ^^ :angry:

The point is that when you slit most throats this cuts the major blood supply to the brain and therefore the oxygen supply that keeps it sentient. However cows have another supply, the invertebral supply. This means that even after severing the first artery the cow feels pain and is conscious for longer periods of time. So no, I have not been reincarnated from bovine to human, I have just studied simple anatomy and recommend you attempt the same. Regardless of personal beliefs I would personally refuse to follow barbaric tradition over simple fact.

When you are tasered it is not to the cranial region. Shocks are delivered to an animals brain in such a method as to override normal brain electrical activity and render them in an epileptic like state. Unconscious and insensitive to pain. To stun and then slaughter by the halal method personally I believe is fine as the animal has been rendered insensitive to pain.

For reference voltage means absolutely nothing without adequate current.

Also perhaps in future refrain from swearing and acting childish on an educational forum because somebody intellectually challenges your viewpoint. It doesn't really reflect you as a well collected individual - which I am sure you aim to be :smile:

If you have any more questions you're unqualified to answer feel free to send them this way though.

All about qualified? I was using a rather liberal term to describe annoying a cop. No swearing sunshine.

As stated you got no feedback from the cows so therefore it's not plausible. Just how science does retract statements and facts quite oftently e.g. it was said not long ago when they said cooking pork at very high temperatures doesn't kill all the bacteria. This retracted the earlier claim when it was said cooking at high temperatures kills all bacteria.

End of.
now
it should not be banned because Muslims have to eat halal food, it is a part of our religion.
Reply 66
Original post by paul514
Your argument is based upon a stun not being instant unconsciousness, which for the extreme majority it is.

If it heart stops how do you make it halal? I don’t care.

Your final argument is my entire point you seem to think it’s hypocritical to treat animals as well as possible if you eat meat.

It isn’t, they should be fed, reared, treated and killed in the best possible way.

You dont care? You a Britain first "activist"? Because they have poor debating skills..

Best possible way? And who are you to state which method is the best?

Experts in the States said it was more humane to kill death row inmates via lethal injection rather than shocking, shooting or hanging. Yet the injection caused many to suffer pain and squirm.

And now the same people say about the best way to slaughter an animal?

I rest my case for an Islam basher. I dont see idiots like you making topics for kosher practices which uses the same approach!
It shouldn't be banned. whoever uses blunt knives, isn't even slaughtering animals in the correct and halal manner.. The halal manner is supposed to cause as little pain as possible to the animal. So I don't understand which halal slaughterhouse your friend has been to.. Is it HFA? HMC? Or some other one?
Original post by nadman
You dont care? You a Britain first "activist"? Because they have poor debating skills..

Best possible way? And who are you to state which method is the best?

Experts in the States said it was more humane to kill death row inmates via lethal injection rather than shocking, shooting or hanging. Yet the injection caused many to suffer pain and squirm.

And now the same people say about the best way to slaughter an animal?

I rest my case for an Islam basher. I dont see idiots like you making topics for kosher practices which uses the same approach!

Yes, I don’t care what some guy wrote 1400 years ago on how to kill animals.
I only care about how we do it today, and yes that includes kosher too.

You accuse me of being a Britain first activist and that I can’t debate, yet you think your religion supersedes animal rights and give no rational justification.
Reply 69
Kosher/Halal requirements should never supercede animal rights, and from the sounds of it, they currently don't.

If a stunned animal can still be considered Kosher/Halal, then there is no reason not to make stunning mandatory. In the rare cases an animal dies from being stunned, it should be handled in the same way as what must already be done for animals that die of other causes before slaughter (such as a heart attack).
Original post by Aariez
Kosher/Halal requirements should never supercede animal rights, and from the sounds of it, they currently don't.

If a stunned animal can still be considered Kosher/Halal, then there is no reason not to make stunning mandatory. In the rare cases an animal dies from being stunned, it should be handled in the same way as what must already be done for animals that die of other causes before slaughter (such as a heart attack).

Thank you!

Someone with some sense
Reply 71
Original post by paul514
Yes, I don’t care what some guy wrote 1400 years ago on how to kill animals.
I only care about how we do it today, and yes that includes kosher too.

You accuse me of being a Britain first activist and that I can’t debate, yet you think your religion supersedes animal rights and give no rational justification.

Getting angry are we? i wonder why. Now we can see what it's really about...

Guess the truth hurt.

Funny how the stuff of 1400 years in particular to science has come true...

Well stunnin is torturing as stated above.

Animal welfare? Then dont eat meat pal. Petty aren't y'all?!
Original post by nadman
Getting angry are we? i wonder why. Now we can see what it's really about...

Guess the truth hurt.

Funny how the stuff of 1400 years in particular to science has come true...

Well stunnin is torturing as stated above.

Animal welfare? Then dont eat meat pal. Petty aren't y'all?!

I see I’m talking to someone with the mind and wit of a child, no problem.

I’ll talk to the other people who have the spare brain cells to carry out a conversation.
Original post by paul514
Of course it should be banned

can you not let people practise their religion?
Original post by LunaCat
I've heard that there are 3 veins in the throat of animals and one of them actually gives pleasure when cut. So although it lools cruel, the animal doesn't suffer. It's better than electrocution or however else you use it.

This is scientifically untrue. Ive posted RSPCA and FAWC linked previously in other Halal threads that states the opposite in that it causes severe pain for up to 2 mins depending on the age and size of the animal.
Few points to point out:
1. According to Islamic law, any knife used to slaughter an animal has to be very sharp to give minimal pain to the animal.
2. The animal must not see the knife, or any other animal slaughtered.
3. The knife must cut straight through the wind pipe, jugular veins and carotid arteries in one sweep, but leaving the spinal cord unharmed.

The effect of this is something called brain death, that the brain irreversibly stops working, ending all types of sensations and feelings, including pain. Some may comment on the twitching ad turning the body does, saying that the animal feels pain, but its just the blood flowing out of the body through the cut, which causes the muscles to contract.

Thats as far as I know anyway, if I was mistaken in anything please tell me.
Original post by hamna98
can you not let people practise their religion?

Sure as long as it isn’t (in this case animal welfare) to the detriment of others.

Kill them halal style IF they have been stunned.
When stunned, the meat become polluted with hormones.
Quick slaughter in the correct way is best for the animals, they don't suffer.
Original post by Dental Nurse 007
When stunned, the meat become polluted with hormones.
Quick slaughter in the correct way is best for the animals, they don't suffer.

Got any sources for this or you making it up as you go along?
Original post by paul514
Sure as long as it isn’t (in this case animal welfare) to the detriment of others.

Kill them halal style IF they have been stunned.

12% of halal slaughtered animals are not stunned.

....and you want to ban all halal meat because of this statistic?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending