Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I was wondering if we could discuss revision techniques for science. I was going to do past papers but with the new spec, it seems really difficult since a lot of the questions in the past papers are irrelevant. I’ve tried revision cards but it seemed like it would take too much time to finish the whole spec so I gave that up. I’m getting all 7s for biology, physics and chemistry but I do want to get higher so if anyone has any ideas do you mind sharing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P.S.)
    Hi, I was wondering if we could discuss revision techniques for science. I was going to do past papers but with the new spec, it seems really difficult since a lot of the questions in the past papers are irrelevant. I’ve tried revision cards but it seemed like it would take too much time to finish the whole spec so I gave that up. I’m getting all 7s for biology, physics and chemistry but I do want to get higher so if anyone has any ideas do you mind sharing...
    i'm actually struggling. i just read over the contents and do the questions in the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlinaReji24)
    i'm actually struggling. i just read over the contents and do the questions in the book.
    Yeah that’s what my friend does and it works for her as she gets good grades but our science teachers repeatedly tell us not to revise by reading the textbook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P.S.)
    Yeah that’s what my friend does and it works for her as she gets good grades but our science teachers repeatedly tell us not to revise by reading the textbook.
    i don't get good grades about average 7s and 6s sometimes 8 in science. i find it difficult. teachers will say that but there is no other solution to this problem. flashcards will take ages for like 6 topics in each section

ReputationRep:
    i don't get good grades about average 7s and 6s sometimes 8 in science. i find it difficult. teachers will say that but there is no other solution to this problem. flashcards will take ages for like 6 topics in each section
    That’s the reason that I’m unwilling to finish making the revision cards; it took me like a month to do 3 topics and we’ve only got 3 months left so I don’t think it’s likely that I’d finish.
    One of my other friends make mindmaps- I’m going to try doing that for each topic instead - maybe that would help you find science less difficult. The only think is with me I can never be satisfied with making them because since I always seem to make a mistake and feel an urge to redo the whole thing but that’s just my weird OCD, I hope it helps you

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I have you sorted on that one. I am currently making flashcards on quizlet I am estimated to finish all of biology and physics on the 9th I'd be happy to give you access to those flashcards. BTW Are you a Malayalee by any chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by P.S.)
    That’s the reason that I’m unwilling to finish making the revision cards; it took me like a month to do 3 topics and we’ve only got 3 months left so I don’t think it’s likely that I’d finish.
    One of my other friends make mindmaps- I’m going to try doing that for each topic instead - maybe that would help you find science less difficult. The only think is with me I can never be satisfied with making them because since I always seem to make a mistake and feel an urge to redo the whole thing but that’s just my weird OCD, I hope it helps you
    Ah, I have you sorted on that one. I am currently making flashcards on quizlet I am estimated to finish all of biology and physics on the 9th I'd be happy to give you access to those flashcards.

ReputationRep:
    If you read from the text book, but while doing so make yourself tests from it. and then come back to these tests every few days can be really effective. literally just write questions on anything, and then every few days spend 15 minutes working through as many of the questions as you can. and any area you've forgotten / struggle with you can go back to! I find this the most effective way...

ReputationRep:
    mw and my gs got kicked out cuz da mandem was to sick blad init fam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afit247)
    Ah, I have you sorted on that one. I am currently making flashcards on quizlet I am estimated to finish all of biology and physics on the 9th I'd be happy to give you access to those flashcards.
    Thank you so much, that would be very helpful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiSeneca)
    If you read from the text book, but while doing so make yourself tests from it. and then come back to these tests every few days can be really effective. literally just write questions on anything, and then every few days spend 15 minutes working through as many of the questions as you can. and any area you've forgotten / struggle with you can go back to! I find this the most effective way...
    Thank you, that does sound really easy and effective-I’ll start straight away. Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I have you sorted on that one. I am currently making flashcards on quizlet I am estimated to finish all of biology and physics on the 9th I'd be happy to give you access to those flashcards. BTW Are you a Malayalee by any chance.
    ah thnks for the help and yes I'm a malayalee. Pm the link pls

ReputationRep:
    and r u doing flashcards for biology, maths and chemistry??

ReputationRep:
    Maybe, you could watch people on YouTube. Some of them summarise the topics and it works really well for revision. Keep them on repeat until you understand and remember it all. Hope it helps!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have biology revision cards or notes as I really want to improve and normally for science I just read the textbooks. If someone could help me in biology I got a 6 I can help with physics and chemistry both 9s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mona.M)
    Maybe, you could watch people on YouTube. Some of them summarise the topics and it works really well for revision. Keep them on repeat until you understand and remember it all. Hope it helps!
    Thanks, that’s a good idea - have you got any recommended YouTube channels that do revision videos?

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE science is a good channel. But you could also try freesciencelessons.
    The second one doesn't look that good but it helps a lot
    Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angel_Chen)
    Does anyone have biology revision cards or notes as I really want to improve and normally for science I just read the textbooks. If someone could help me in biology I got a 6 I can help with physics and chemistry both 9s.
    Hi, I love biology it’s my favourite out of all the sciences. I got a level 7 for my mocks but a revision technique that I’m going to try is to print posters of things I need to remember and then annotate it and stick it on the wall eg the human body and then label what the pancreas does (enzymes) heart etc. I haven’t got any revision cards for it because it’s a really long syllabus so I’m using the other great revision techniques mentioned on this thread like writing your own questions after you read a chapter and then answering them a few days later (courtesy of MimiSeneca) I hope you find this useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mona.M)
    My GCSE science is a good channel. But you could also try freesciencelessons.
    The second one doesn't look that good but it helps a lot
    Hope it helps
    Thanks, these will be really useful

ReputationRep:
    Your welcome!

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.