The Student Room Group

Is he correct?

My uncle says because I've started my business at 28 that "I'm late" and "behind". Because other people stated their careers at 23, 24.

I'm 5 months into running it and I've early almost £19k so far.

My sister is a marketing manager and she earns £19k equivalent of 9 months work and I'm sure I'll be earning more than a cousin pharmacist who's 2 years older than me. I could be earning well.

Am I behind and late? What happens if I'm earning well?

He says I cannot meet the high standards.
Ignore him.

It's more than what some people have managed to do.
Original post by Anonymous
My uncle says because I've started my business at 28 that "I'm late" and "behind". Because other people stated their careers at 23, 24.

My sister is a marketing manager and she earns £19k equivalent of 9 months work and I'm sure I'll be earning more than a cousin pharmacist who's 2 years older than me. I could be earning well.

Did he have any suggestions for how you could travel back in time and start your business at an earlier age?
Is it a cultural thing in your family that uncles are required to belittle other people's efforts?
You should be congratulated on making a successful start. If he can't offer some sensible advice and practical help on how to improve your business and accelerate your success then tell him to please mind his own business.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
My uncle says ...that "I'm late".

Have you missed your period?

And more sensibly...

Reply with, "Well, in that case, I'd probably better just give up now. There's no point starting late, I'd guess. No-one has ever been successful who started late."

Ignore him. He has no reason to belittle you when you’ve clearly been successful in the first 5 months!
If I were you I’d be telling him to mind his own business as suggested above, and perhaps don’t bother acknowledging him until he gives you some respect. Is there any other family you can talk to about his attitude who may be able to help or defend you?
Reply 5
Thanks for the replies.

He makes assumptions and thinks I'm going to do crap.
There sounds like there is come jealousy coming from in there somewhere with him. Oh. My. Gawd. NO it is NOT TOO LATE to start a successful company! Your uncle is crazy if he legitimately believe that!

From Forturne.com: According to the Kauffman Foundation, three-quarters of all new entrepreneurs in 2014 were between the ages of 35 and 64, with most being 45 or older. See you're actually on the young side!

Don't listen to his negativity! If you are working hard and making it work the only ones whose opinions matter are YOURS and any investors (and I sincerely hope he isn't one!) you have. Don't let him get you down.

Congrats on your new business venture!
There is no rule book on this type of thing. You're doing well for yourself so keep going. Your uncle sounds quite dumb.
Reply 8
Thanks for the replies.

He makes assumptions and thinks I'm going to do crap.

All the more reason to prove him wrong!

Congratulations from me too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending