The Student Room Group

Switching university with no qualifications?

-
-
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by KingCrow
When I applied to university this year I was predicted DDM on my BTEC Extended Diploma. I got an unconditional from my university and I ended up dropping out of the college course a few months later. I was still able to go to my university because I had an unconditional, I didn't need my grades to get in.

But now I'm reconsidering my choices for my course and I want to switch courses. I would like to switch university really to be closer to home but now that I don't actually have any qualifications this seems like it would be impossible. I am planning to simply switch courses in my current university but I'm wondering if it would be at all possible to switch universities at all?

Thanks!

Switching courses even at your own uni may not be easy so talk to your personal tutor first. You may have to go back and complete your college qualifications and re-apply to a different uni though I am surprised they let you in without finishing college.
-
-
-
-
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm able to switch courses in my university. The difference between switching in university and switching to a new university is that you have to redo your ucas application. I spoke to my course leader and personal tutor about this and he was fine with it and understands my situation.

I know some people who have gotten into university based on their character and skills rather than their qualifications. So it is possible I think. I just wanted to check on here to ask if it was possible than another university closer to home would be possible but it doesn't really look like it anyway. Thanks.

If you complete your first year on your current course then that counts as a qualification higher than an ED (and if you completed your first year of the the ED then you would normally be awarded a diploma or first diploma which is equivalent to 1-2 A levels).

Your options will be limited - get in touch with the universities you're considering closer to home. Worst case scenario you could always switch to take your degree with the Open University.
-
-
-
-
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm currently planning on taking a break from my course due to illness, I'll come back this September and then I'll be joining another course. So I can't complete the first year at the moment. I'm able to switch courses just fine in this university. But I would prefer to be closer to home. I'm switching to a computer science course from a games course. But I think the computer science course at my home in Plymouth would be just as good or even better. It would be better for me to be at home too.

But from what I've read you will need to do a UCAS application again but if I directly contact the Plymouth university and tell them my predicted grades from the college in Plymouth. They may take that more seriously. But it doesn't look too good.

None of us can answer this for you - you need to speak to the university you want to switch to.

If you restart on another course at your current university then you are likely to be unable to restart again without losing your tuition fee loan for the 3rd attempt at first year - so make sure you're 100% happy about your choices.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending