Should we adopt a Social Media Credit System? Watch

FriendlyPenguin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
The Chinese Government proposed back in 2014 an extensive data collection system called the Social Credit System. The Social Credit System is being planned in an effort to establish a sincerity culture with the goal of enhancing trust. The ultimate objective of this Social Credit System is to raise the honest mentality of the entire society, and is an important step in advancing a harmonious society. If all goes well in the current planning and test phase, the system will be fully implemented by 2020 and will enlist every citizen living and every company operating in China.

It works by collecting vast amounts of data online, and then provide a score to measure how trustworthy each individual is, based on political, social, commercial and legal credit. All individuals’ behavior will be monitored when it comes to spending habits, how often you pay your bills, and who you interact with socially. All of this will then result in a trustworthiness score that will be publicly available for everyone to see. If citizens show bad behavior and breach trust, they will be blacklisted and restricted from many societal activities.

The Chinese government has since 2015 operated a data sharing platform that is collecting data from local and central government authorities. Commercial credit rating and online payments will soon form part of the platform as well.

Furthermore, the State Council has in an official statement stated that they seek to move forward with credit information exchange and sharing, meaning that all sectors must participate in exchange and sharing of such data.

In this system, every action performed by Chinese citizens will be rated as either positive or negative by an algorithm, and a score will then be calculated based on this to decide your level of trustworthiness. As of now, participating in this credit system is voluntary, but by 2020 it becomes obligatory for all people living in China to participate and being ranked.

Furthermore, the messages you post online will also be tracked and included in your score, meaning that posting positive messages about the country, the social system or the economy will give you a better score. Individuals are not in full control over their own score, as one’s score is also based on what friends and families say and do online. The consequence of this is that being friends with someone who posts negative comments online will then affect your own score negatively. Having the system set up this way could ultimately let the government isolate extremists and other disruptive individuals.

Newspapers, television and online media are allowed to make public information about individuals accused of trust breaking, to create public opinion pressure on those affected individuals and any other individuals that are in danger of receiving a lower score.

Having a low trustworthyness score will result in restrictions in, for example: applying for social security and bank loans, employment in certain sectors, travel, education prospects for your children, and internet speed.

By rating citizens’ social behavior, preferences and interpersonal relationships, the government indirectly has the power to steer and shape peoples’ actions and behaviors into a better direction for a cohesive society, and completely stamp out corruption by improving transparency.

Citizens with high social credit scores can avoid leaving deposits when renting cars, bicycles and hotels, can avoid long queues at hospitals, can avoid scammers on social media and dating sites, and in general receive many societal benefits. Therefore, being a good citizen is something to strive for and helps you achieve various things in a better and easier way for yourself and your family.

https://medium.com/@alexanderskyummo...y-cafc9bb7923b

Sounds great, why aren't we working on the same over here?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FriendlyPenguin)
Sounds great, why aren't we working on the same over here?
You obviously did not see the Black Mirror episode 'Nosedive' which tells you exactly how dystopian such a scheme would be. I suggest you try and see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
?
(Original post by Good bloke)
You obviously did not see the Black Mirror episode 'Nosedive' which tells you exactly how dystopian such a scheme would be. I suggest you try and see it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nosedive
You have nothing to fear, if you have nothing to hide.

We're going to get this system over here whether you like it or not, the only question is which ideology is in power when it is finally implemented.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Presumably you are in favour of blanket coverage by CCTV, GPS tracking of individuals and a DNA database that includes everybody, eh?
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
?
Presumably you are in favour of blanket coverage by CCTV, GPS tracking of individuals and a DNA database that includes everybody, eh?
We already have 2/3 of those, and nothing bad has happened.

Blanket CCTV coverage in London and location tracking of everyone with android smartphones (by Google).

If you aren't a bad citizen, then why would you oppose the government making sure nobody else is a bad citizen?
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
We already have 2/3 of those, and nothing bad has happened.

Blanket CCTV coverage in London and location tracking of everyone with android smartphones (by Google).

If you aren't a bad citizen, then why would you oppose the government making sure nobody else is a bad citizen?
As someone who doesn't use social media I don't care what kind of mess social media users get themselves into, though it does not make much sense to me to turn life into a permanent audition for celebrity status and approval by the masses.
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This sounds like a heinous violation of privacy and personal liberty. No thanks.
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
?
As someone who doesn't use social media I don't care what kind of mess social media users get themselves into, though it does not make much sense to me to turn life into a permanent audition for celebrity status and approval by the masses.
TSR isn't too far from a social media.

But anyway, you are in the minority (or will be, in a generation). And we live in a democracy, where the 'masses' you are so disdainful of decide which direction our country goes.
Good bloke
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You are using social media right now.
Nah. That would be a very wide definition of the term. You have no idea who I am, nor I you. We cannot be identified with any accuracy at all, nor can we be traced.
FriendlyPenguin
Rep:
?
Nah. That would be a very wide definition of the term. You have no idea who I am, nor I you. We cannot be identified with any accuracy at all, nor can we be traced.
That's not true, a determined enough person/organisation (such as the government) could trace any user on this forum, unless they went to extreme lengths to hide themselves. Especially someone who has been posting since 2007!

But no, we maintain a facade of anonymity on forums, so I was incorrect calling it a social media.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Everyone has something to hide.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (150)
24.79%
Pop (146)
24.13%