maisiew1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
can anyone give me a lowdown of what is included and what i will need to apply. my mum is self employed and has no taxable income so what does that mean? what benefits are counted
Rona SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maisiew1234)
can anyone give me a lowdown of what is included and what i will need to apply. my mum is self employed and has no taxable income so what does that mean? what benefits are counted
Hi maisiew1234,

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better,

First of all are you applying for undergraduate support as a UK student and are you under 25 years old, not married and have no dependant children?

What is the course that you are planning to undertake, is it a full or part time course and when does that start ?

Regards Rona
maisiew1234
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Rona SFE)
Hi maisiew1234,

Let me ask you a few questions to help you better,

First of all are you applying for undergraduate support as a UK student and are you under 25 years old, not married and have no dependant children?

What is the course that you are planning to undertake, is it a full or part time course and when does that start ?

Regards Rona
Hiya,

i’m applying for undergraduate support as a UK student and i’m under 25 and have no dependent children or married.
I’m applying for my degree in health and social care which is full time

thank you
John B SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya,

i’m applying for undergraduate support as a UK student and i’m under 25 and have no dependent children or married.

thank you
Hi Maisiew1234,

Thanks very much for answering those questions.

The main package of student finance is a Tuition Fee Loan (TFL) and a Maintenance Loan (ML). The TFL isn't dependent on household income, you would just apply for the amount the university are charging.

The ML is based on household income, as you're under 25 this would be your parents household income or just your mums if it's just your mum you live with. I wouldn't be able to give the exact figures but if you have a look at the student finance calculator it will give you a good idea.

In terms of what you'll need, it depends on your own circumstances really. However, it's often straightforward. Here is an overview where you can get an idea of if you'll need to do much.

Here are the benefits that should be included with the household income:

-Bereavement allowance
-Bereavement benefit
-Care allowance
-Employment Support Allowance (contributory based only)
-Income support when paid to strikers or people involved in a trade dispute.
-Payments of incapacity benefit over 28 weeks
-Pensions payable under the industrial death benefit scheme
-Jobseeker's allowance
-Retirement pension- includes state pension
-Statutory adoption pay
-Statutory sick pay
-Statutory maternity pay
-Statutory paternity pay
-Widowed parents allowance.

I hope this information helps but please don't hesitate to ask further questions.

Kind regards,

John.
Rona SFE
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hiya,

thank you
Hi maisiew1234,

Thank you for that information, applications for academic year 2018/2019 should be available by the end of February but we have no confirmed date as yet.

Here is a link where you can apply,

http://bit.ly/1hErcvL

If you are under 25 we would normally assess you as dependant on your parents.

Students who want their application to be income assessed will be required to provide their sponsor(s) financial details.

For applications in 2018/19 academic we will be asking for the financial information for the tax year 2016/17

There are a number of different benefits that people claim from the government but not all are to be included in the sponsor’s income. You only include taxable benefits i.e. Care Allowance, Jobseeker’s Allowance. Non taxable benefits should not be included at all i.e. Housing Benefit, Disability Living Allowance.Regards Rona
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.56%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (799)
42.1%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.81%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (86)
4.53%

Watched Threads