The Student Room Group

Masters in Social Work:Cardiff/Swansea 2018

Thought I would start a new discussion. Any else applied for Cardiff or Swansea Uni. Or any other uni in Wales? How is everyone feeling? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sion1990
Thought I would start a new discussion. Any else applied for Cardiff or Swansea Uni. Or any other uni in Wales? How is everyone feeling? :smile:

Hi! I've applied for Cardiff. Have you heard back yet? I'm feeling pretty nervous haha
Reply 2
Original post by Thoughtful31
Hi! I've applied for Cardiff. Have you heard back yet? I'm feeling pretty nervous haha

I have had my interview for Swansea yesterday and got my Cardiff next week. Don't be nervous. The Swansea Interview was not too bad:smile:. Where have you applied?
I have had my interview for Swansea yesterday and got my Cardiff next week. Don't be nervous. The Swansea Interview was not too bad:smile:. Where have you applied?

I've just applied to Cardiff :smile: Oh wow how did it go? Good luck for the Cardiff one also.

I've been anxiously waiting to hear back from Cardiff. What date did you apply? I applied on the 15th of Jan so quite late haha.

How have you prepared for the Cardiff interview?

And when and how did Cardiff contact you about your interview?

Sorry for so many questions but I wish you all the luck :smile: x
Reply 4
I've just applied to Cardiff :smile: Oh wow how did it go? Good luck for the Cardiff one also.

I've been anxiously waiting to hear back from Cardiff. What date did you apply? I applied on the 15th of Jan so quite late haha.

How have you prepared for the Cardiff interview?

And when and how did Cardiff contact you about your interview?

Sorry for so many questions but I wish you all the luck :smile: x

I applied for both Cardiff and Swansea in November last Year. I heard off Cardiff literally two weeks after applying. I heard off Swansea beginning of January.

Don't worry give it time I am sure you will hear back. Looking at most threads on Cardiff you don't generally hear how you did on interview until March April time.

They emailed me to say about my interview it then came through ucas. Cardiff followed up with a letter. Be aware Cardiff want you to send a reference back to them in the post before the interview. Not the details of the reference an actual reference. You also have to complete a fitness to practise and photocopy all your certificates and send it to them.

The interview was pretty straight forward in Swansea. Just make sure you read up on code of practise, wellbeing act, role and qualities of social, anti discrimination and oppression and there is a good website called social work interview tutor and it's got a list of potential questions you could be asked. Don't forget to read lots of books around social work and also some news on social work and Welsh contexted.

There not there to trip you up and your not a social worker. Your applying to become one, so don't stress to much. :smile:

What's your background anyways, why social work and have you applied any where else?.

Ask away on the questions, if I can help I will :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
I applied for both Cardiff and Swansea in November last Year. I heard off Cardiff literally two weeks after applying. I heard off Swansea beginning of January.

Don't worry give it time I am sure you will hear back. Looking at most threads on Cardiff you don't generally hear how you did on interview until March April time.

They emailed me to say about my interview it then came through ucas. Cardiff followed up with a letter. Be aware Cardiff want you to send a reference back to them in the post before the interview. Not the details of the reference an actual reference. You also have to complete a fitness to practise and photocopy all your certificates and send it to them.

The interview was pretty straight forward in Swansea. Just make sure you read up on code of practise, wellbeing act, role and qualities of social, anti discrimination and oppression and there is a good website called social work interview tutor and it's got a list of potential questions you could be asked. Don't forget to read lots of books around social work and also some news on social work and Welsh contexted.

There not there to trip you up and your not a social worker. Your applying to become one, so don't stress to much. :smile:

What's your background anyways, why social work and have you applied any where else?.

Ask away on the questions, if I can help I will :smile:

Ahh I see. I'll be okay with a reference I think, I'm currently mentored by a social worker so hopefully that will be sufficient. Urgh I was worried about the certificates. I was hoping that they would ask for them if you were successful after the interview. I lost my certificates and I only have transcripts. I have a sinking feeling that they won't accept them :frown: I did not want to waste the money just incase I was unsuccessful.

Okay cool :smile: I think I'm okay with most of that but I feel I need to get clued up more on current issues in social work within Wales. Any pointers? I've been looking at community care and the guardian but I'm struggling to pin down a specific issue at the moment.

That's a relief. I have heard the interviewers are lovely but it seems prospective applicants let themselves down with nerves which is understandable.

I've just applied to Cardiff because I can only commute unfortunately, plus I love Cardiff anyway :smile:

I currently volunteer in the care sector and for the first time in my live I've felt a genuine love for the work I do. So I thought why not pursue it as a long term career. For me it was always trying to find a career that combined my compassion with a wage so to speak ha. I think I've finally found it!

I wish you the best of luck with everything Sion, I know how daunting this process can be but it seems you're incredibly organised and enthusiastic so they will be lucky to have you :smile:
Reply 6
Ahh I see. I'll be okay with a reference I think, I'm currently mentored by a social worker so hopefully that will be sufficient. Urgh I was worried about the certificates. I was hoping that they would ask for them if you were successful after the interview. I lost my certificates and I only have transcripts. I have a sinking feeling that they won't accept them :frown: I did not want to waste the money just incase I was unsuccessful.

Okay cool :smile: I think I'm okay with most of that but I feel I need to get clued up more on current issues in social work within Wales. Any pointers? I've been looking at community care and the guardian but I'm struggling to pin down a specific issue at the moment.

That's a relief. I have heard the interviewers are lovely but it seems prospective applicants let themselves down with nerves which is understandable.

I've just applied to Cardiff because I can only commute unfortunately, plus I love Cardiff anyway :smile:

I currently volunteer in the care sector and for the first time in my live I've felt a genuine love for the work I do. So I thought why not pursue it as a long term career. For me it was always trying to find a career that combined my compassion with a wage so to speak ha. I think I've finally found it!

I wish you the best of luck with everything Sion, I know how daunting this process can be but it seems you're incredibly organised and enthusiastic so they will be lucky to have you :smile:

Awe that sounds like a good reference!. Regarding your certificates, I personally would just send the transcripts and worry about getting the orinigal certicates at a later date.

Current issues in Social Work I focused on are lack of supervision, poor management, budget constraints, stress of sw, work loads. I would read into it to much just have some examples. They focused very much on code of practise, wellbeing act and discrimination and oppression. Well that was swansea. Cardiff maybe a different ballgame all together. :smile:.

Where are you going to be commuting from?. It good to hear your enjoying your job in care sector. I have worked with children and family support for almost 10 years now. I'm a family support worker in early help team children social services. So social work is the right step forward for me now.

I have my interview Thursday this coming week. Let me know when you get an interview. :smile:
Awe that sounds like a good reference!. Regarding your certificates, I personally would just send the transcripts and worry about getting the orinigal certicates at a later date.

Current issues in Social Work I focused on are lack of supervision, poor management, budget constraints, stress of sw, work loads. I would read into it to much just have some examples. They focused very much on code of practise, wellbeing act and discrimination and oppression. Well that was swansea. Cardiff maybe a different ballgame all together. :smile:.

Where are you going to be commuting from?. It good to hear your enjoying your job in care sector. I have worked with children and family support for almost 10 years now. I'm a family support worker in early help team children social services. So social work is the right step forward for me now.

I have my interview Thursday this coming week. Let me know when you get an interview. :smile:

Good luck for the interview Sion, let me know how it goes!

So what literature have you been reading? I've just been looking at What is Social Work by Horner and Thompson's book on Anti-Discriminatory Practice. Hopefully that's enough haha
Hey guys I've applied for the undergrad in both cardiff and swansea. In my cardiff interview it was all based around code of practice so imagine it will be the same for masters... they were quite quick in getting back to me after interview too. Still waiting to hear from Swansea hoping they get in touch soon.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey guys, i attended the MSc Social Work interview last week in Swansea. They were so fast at getting back, over the moon to be offered a place to start in September. How is everyone getting on? Wishing you all the best of luck! The interview process is so daunting!
Reply 10
Original post by AshleenMcD
Hey guys, i attended the MSc Social Work interview last week in Swansea. They were so fast at getting back, over the moon to be offered a place to start in September. How is everyone getting on? Wishing you all the best of luck! The interview process is so daunting!

Congratulations!!. Well done. The interviews are quite scary. What day did you interview?. I interviewed last Thursday and frustratingly still have not heard anything. :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Andy_2017
Hey guys I've applied for the undergrad in both cardiff and swansea. In my cardiff interview it was all based around code of practice so imagine it will be the same for masters... they were quite quick in getting back to me after interview too. Still waiting to hear from Swansea hoping they get in touch soon.

Congratulations on your offer. Which one is your preference?. It will soon be here :smile:. Thank you for the advice on interviews for Cardiff. Fingers crossed it was enoigh. I am still waiting to hear back from Swansea too. :smile:
Congratulations!!. Well done. The interviews are quite scary. What day did you interview?. I interviewed last Thursday and frustratingly still have not heard anything. :smile:

Thank you Sion, l only applied for Swansea this year as i had to withdraw my place from cardiff last year because of the distance ect. So it was such a relief to hear back so soon! I was last thursday too, im sure you were in my group actually? They tend to get back to people in staggered stages which can be frustrating!

Have you been to your cardiff interview yet?
Got my fingers crossed for you 😁
Reply 13
Thank you Sion, l only applied for Swansea this year as i had to withdraw my place from cardiff last year because of the distance ect. So it was such a relief to hear back so soon! I was last thursday too, im sure you were in my group actually? They tend to get back to people in staggered stages which can be frustrating!

Have you been to your cardiff interview yet?
Got my fingers crossed for you 😁

Awe that's great news. Remind me which one you were again?. There were a few of you. I recently did the Cardiff interview. It is a very nice university and felt really good about it. So fingers crossed. Yea I am getting a little inpatient haha!!. Hopefully find out Monday. :smile:
Awe that's great news. Remind me which one you were again?. There were a few of you. I recently did the Cardiff interview. It is a very nice university and felt really good about it. So fingers crossed. Yea I am getting a little inpatient haha!!. Hopefully find out Monday. :smile:

I was the dark haired girl from tenby that was sat in front of you in the first room, white coat lol😊. Cardiff is such a nice university isnt it, im sure you did fab! Cardiff took longer to get back last year but everyone knew the same time which was better!

Fingers crossed for you
Reply 15
I was the dark haired girl from tenby that was sat in front of you in the first room, white coat lol😊. Cardiff is such a nice university isnt it, im sure you did fab! Cardiff took longer to get back last year but everyone knew the same time which was better!

Fingers crossed for you

Awe yea I remember!. Yea they said it might be later due this year due to strike action. Great!!. I bet your excited to start. :smile: xx
Anyone got any tips on structure for the literature review at Cardiff? xx
Reply 17
Original post by RoxanneSW
Anyone got any tips on structure for the literature review at Cardiff? xx

Look at the abstract of the journal. Talk about what is it about, good and bad points, implications on practise for social workers, recommendations. Link in with today's issues in Social work such as money constraints, poor supervision, high case loads and how these reccomendations can truly be implemented in today's society. Link it in with social care code of practise if you can.

Just don't over think it's only five min. Don't forget to time yourself when practising, so you don't go over and waffle. :smile:.

Good Luck
Awe yea I remember!. Yea they said it might be later due this year due to strike action. Great!!. I bet your excited to start. :smile: xx

Hopefully youll hear back soon lovely 😊. Any news on how everyone else got on? Such a daunting day, at least all the interviews are done now! Did you find cardiff different? I found it much more laid back last year!

It still hasnt actually sunk in yet 😁. The start date is the 24th of september. So plenty of time to prepare thankfully! 😁xx
Congratulations on your offer. Which one is your preference?. It will soon be here :smile:. Thank you for the advice on interviews for Cardiff. Fingers crossed it was enoigh. I am still waiting to hear back from Swansea too. :smile:

Thanks Sion. I would prefer Swansea as its a little closer plus i'd prefer that uni experience (id be studying at bridgend college for cardiff met). That being said I found the cardiff met tutors ery approachable and would be happy if I go there. Hoping my experience is sufficient for Swansea

Quick Reply

Latest