The Student Room Group

Revision

What are your top tips for revision and what do you feel are the best ways to revise?
Testing is the most important for me ! Doing constant quizzes, always revisiting topics etc . means i don't get bored and it stays in my memory
Reply 2
Revising - Well I don't really know. But what works a lot is watching things for me. If your anything like me then it would mean that you hate revision but you have to do it. I just look for good Youtubers and try and find a channel that summarises and explains a topic well. Keep it on repeat until I understand and memorize it. You could also do this with documentaries too.Maybe, you could keep writing things out until you have it memorized?Hope it helps!
Original post by Mona.M
Revising - Well I don't really know. But what works a lot is watching things for me. If your anything like me then it would mean that you hate revision but you have to do it. I just look for good Youtubers and try and find a channel that summarises and explains a topic well. Keep it on repeat until I understand and memorize it. You could also do this with documentaries too.Maybe, you could keep writing things out until you have it memorized?Hope it helps!

Have you tried this youtube account? Not very long videos, but quite good at introducing a topic / summarising it. I find quite useful when I come back to a topic to revise it..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaHlDtc06i8
For GCSE science when I did it, I watched free science lessons,made an A3 poster for each exam I had for science e.g. Triple chemistry exam C3,using the specification and I also did past paper questions and looked at the mark scheme and what wording they wanted for questions especially those that repeat year after year e.g. speciation.

For maths watch maths genie videos and do practice questions.

For History I memorised the key points for each topic and make plans for different possible questions that could come up.

For religious studies make for and against tables for each ethical issue,e.g. abortion do a for and against table saying what different religions think and only memorise short quotations especially those that you can use for different issues.Make sure to have for and against tables for all the ethical debates you learn, and do short essay plans for questions.

I also did geography,computer science,english lit and language for gcse if anyone is interested in tips..
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous1502
For GCSE science when I did it, I watched free science lessons,made an A3 poster for each exam I had for science e.g. Triple chemistry exam C3,using the specification and I also did past paper questions and looked at the mark scheme and what wording they wanted for questions especially those that repeat year after year e.g. speciation.

For maths watch maths genie videos and do practice questions.

For History I memorised the key points for each topic and make plans for different possible questions that could come up.

For religious studies make for and against tables for each ethical issue,e.g. abortion do a for and against table saying what different religions think and only memorise short quotations especially those that you can use for different issues.Make sure to have for and against tables for all the ethical debates you learn, and do short essay plans for questions.

I also did geography,computer science,english lit and language for gcse if anyone is interested in tips..

I need a way to revise for geography.... can you help???
Original post by Mona.M
I need a way to revise for geography.... can you help???

I did it 2 years ago but I will try and help :smile: .Make posters on each topic (A3) e.g. one on rivers.Go through the past papers and look at the questions they repeat/are quite similar and make short essay/answer plans.Make sure you know processes in physical geography well.I found a question bank online for human geography and went through it and the mark scheme answers and tried memorising them.Learn the case studies- include them in your posters.Get someone to ask you questions on the information on the poster.Use the specification to make sure you covered everything!Use different coloured pens in your posters,i used it to separate the topics out e.g. Plate boundries written in red and volcanoes written about in black?Make sure you practice the long questions they ask in the past paper.Don't leave revision to the last minute,I spent a lot more time on physical geography than the human one so that caused me stress.Make sure you get 100ums marks in course work!If you have anymore questions please ask.Im guessing you're doing the new spec so Im not sure how much of this information is relevant to you.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous1502
I did it 2 years ago but I will try and help :smile: .Make posters on each topic (A3) e.g. one on rivers.Go through the past papers and look at the questions they repeat/are quite similar and make short essay/answer plans.Make sure you know processes in physical geography well.I found a question bank online for human geography and went through it and the mark scheme answers and tried memorising them.Learn the case studies- include them in your posters.Get someone to ask you questions on the information on the poster.Use the specification to make sure you covered everything!Use different coloured pens in your posters,i used it to separate the topics out e.g. Plate boundries written in red and volcanoes written about in black?Make sure you practice the long questions they ask in the past paper.Don't leave revision to the last minute,I spent a lot more time on physical geography than the human one so that caused me stress.Make sure you get 100ums marks in course work!If you have anymore questions please ask.Im guessing you're doing the new spec so Im not sure how much of this information is relevant to you.

Thanks that really helps! We don't do coursework anymore so it's even harder now. I like your ideas on posters and the things that you put on. I'm doing the AQA exam board. Where do you get your information from. I usually don't know what to put on posters because there are so many sites with lots of stuff to say about the topic. I don't know what is and isn't important. Any ideas???
But anyways, thanks a lot it's really helped a lot!:smile:
Original post by Mona.M
Thanks that really helps! We don't do coursework anymore so it's even harder now. I like your ideas on posters and the things that you put on. I'm doing the AQA exam board. Where do you get your information from. I usually don't know what to put on posters because there are so many sites with lots of stuff to say about the topic. I don't know what is and isn't important. Any ideas???
But anyways, thanks a lot it's really helped a lot!:smile:

I did Edexcel b, and I just used some revision packs with information our school gave or some websites I forgot which ones I used but there is one called https://revisionworld.com/gcse-revision/geography it seems good.If you write into google gcse geography notes there are many websites out there.Use the specification that you can find on the aqa website for geography that says what you need to know for your exam,so you can make sure you learn all the content!To know what is and what isn't important look at the specimen paper and see what kind of things they ask about,also look at your class notes!Make sure to learn the key content,the content you're pretty sure they would ask about e.g. different types of plate boundaries or about the 2 types of volcanoes (Im not sure if your specification covers this content but my one did).If you're still not sure maybe you can ask your teacher,they probably know more about the specification you're learning about than me. :smile: I hope this helped slightly..

Quick Reply

Latest