Have these Books been Wiped from Existence?

Watch
Michael Allan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been getting interested in Chinese History recently and thought I'd read a biography of Mao, but the biographies I was looking for seen to have been wiped from existence - I've checked Amazon, Waterstones, Goodreads, done a few google searches, and I can't find any record of these books existing; which is weird, because they were pretty popular books.

It's a trilogy of three books, each covering a different part of Mao's life. Each is a different colour. One distinctive thing about them is that each biography has part of a picture of Mao on the side, and when you put all three together you see the full picture.

Can somebody who knows these books/have seen these books tell me the author's name and reassure me they do actually exist?
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Michael Allan)
I've been getting interested in Chinese History recently and thought I'd read a biography of Mao, but the biographies I was looking for seen to have been wiped from existence - I've checked Amazon, Waterstones, Goodreads, done a few google searches, and I can't find any record of these books existing; which is weird, because they were pretty popular books.

It's a trilogy of three books, each covering a different part of Mao's life. Each is a different colour. One distinctive thing about them is that each biography has part of a picture of Mao on the side, and when you put all three together you see the full picture.

Can somebody who knows these books/have seen these books tell me the author's name and reassure me they do actually exist?
You may find it helpful to give more details of what you are looking for, such as titles, an author's name and a date of publication.
username2178331
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Maos-Great-.../dp/1408886367

Is this it?
username2178331
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The 2nd and 3rd can be found below, all different colours.
Michael Allan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Nope, I don't think that's it - the books I remember had photos of Mao on the cover, as I seem
to recall.
Good bloke
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Michael Allan)
Nope, I don't think that's it - the books I remember had photos of Mao on the cover, as I seem
to recall.
You do realise that books are frequently reprinted and republished with different covers, don't you? And that is a reissue?
username2178331
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Eh, I'm not sure then. If any more information comes to you, post it. I don't think there's enough information at the moment, and barring a miracle I doubt anyone will know the exact book I'm 'fraid.
username2178331
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Mate,

http://www.frankdikotter.com/_Media/...rback_med.jpeg

the sides of the books have a picture of Mao's incredibly round face. Despite what you say, I'm taking this as a victory. These are the books you are looking for. Without a doubt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (24)
10.39%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (137)
59.31%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (32)
13.85%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (33)
14.29%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (5)
2.16%

Watched Threads