Can someone explain why antibiotics don't work on viruses? Watch

Bertybassett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm having trouble answering this question. so would it be something like the virus functions by invading the body's own cells and using the body cells metabolic processes to replicate, so an antibiotic wouldn't be able to tell this? I've done a lot of researching and still can't find an answer. thanks
Kindred
  • TSR Support Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bertybassett)
I'm having trouble answering this question. so would it be something like the virus functions by invading the body's own cells and using the body cells metabolic processes to replicate, so an antibiotic wouldn't be able to tell this? I've done a lot of researching and still can't find an answer. thanks
Antibiotics are designed to kill bacteria. Viruses are a different thing. Viruses also keep adapting which is why is difficult to make a virus equivalent to antibiotics like with antifungals for fungi. I'm not sure about the science of why they are different though.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Baza2002
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
antibiotics are antibodies. they attach onto cells that have the antigens that have the right kind of antigen (the one that needs to be destroyed).
viruses aren't cells, they are smaller and they live inside cells and reproduce and eventually the cell bursts - this is what makes you feel ill if you have a viral infection.
Zoqua
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Antibiotics work by attacking things which Bacteria cells have, and our's don't, such as Cell walls. However, Viruses use human cells as hosts to reproduce, therefore meaning that the Virus is usually inside the human cell, meaning that as the antibiotics do not attack human cell's, its pointless trying to kill viruses with antibiotics.
M0nkey_D_Luffy
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The way antibiotics work (for example, by preventing bacteria from reproducing), would not work on a virus. Remember, even though the effects of various viruses and bacteria can be similar, they are usually radically different. Even with bacteria that act a little like a virus, for example, gonorrhoea can live within human cells, the various vulnerabilities of viruses and bacteria are normally different.
FloralPrints
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
This is very very brief
Bacteria floats around in the bloodstream whereas virsues are embedded in the body cells whilst rapidly replicating themselves. It is therefore easier for antibiotics to act on bacteria compared to viruses
rorygilmore4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Antibiotics are substances produced by fungi that kill or inhibit the growth of bacteria by targeting prokaryotic metabolism. Viruses are eukaryotes. Eukaryotic cells do not possess these metabolic features that may be targeted by antibiotics (such as 70s ribosomes or cell walls). Therefore viruses will not be affected by antibiotics.
AJ2104
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In essence, antibiotics inhibit enzymes in bacteria. These enzymes are generally responsible for bacterial cell wall or protein synthesis. Virus particles do not possess these enzymes so antibiotics are not effective against virus infections.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (14)
16.09%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (6)
6.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (16)
18.39%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (11)
12.64%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (11)
12.64%
How can I be the best version of myself? (29)
33.33%

Watched Threads