?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does benzene decolourise bromine water?
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
buci98
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
nope. It cant react with Bromine unless you add FeBr3 catalyst. Also, that is a substitution reaction and not an addition
BTAnonymous
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
good question. probably not because it does not have double bonds and is very stable so doesn't react as readily as alkenes.
Lord Nutter
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It is possible for benzene to decolourise bromine water but this requires a halogen carrier called aluminium bromide AlBr3 (FeBr3 will also work) to form the Br+ ion (The halogen carrier will be AlBr4-) that will undergo a electrophilic substitution reaction with benzene. The products will be 1 bromobenzene (Depending on how many moles of benzene you have used) and a H+ ion. This H+ ion will react with the halogen carrier AlBr4- to give AlBr3 again and HBr. As AlBr3 is regenerated the halogen carrier is a catalyst to this reaction.

The reaction would work better if you have used phenol instead of benzene due to overlapping p orbitals (Or any non-bonding electrons) on the oxygen atom and the delocalised ring of electrons in the ring of phenol - this makes phenol much more reactive and will react with bromine water in a similar way but this time, without the need of a halogen carrier

hope this answered your question
HateOCR
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you consider Adjustment if your grades were higher than you expected?

Yes, I'd look at higher ranking universities than my current choices (123)
43.16%
Yes, I'd look for a course or uni that is a better fit for me (45)
15.79%
No, I'd stick with my current uni choice (112)
39.3%
Something else (let us know in the thread below!) (5)
1.75%

Watched Threads