username3763482
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've gotten offers from both Bristol and Nottingham to do economics and the same grades are needed for both. I just can't decide where to go! Can anyone tell me what economics is like at those unis or what the student life is like? Positives and negatives?
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rachel3220)
I've gotten offers from both Bristol and Nottingham to do economics and the same grades are needed for both. I just can't decide where to go! Can anyone tell me what economics is like at those unis or what the student life is like? Positives and negatives?
You should visit both and see for yourself which you prefer. Both universities and course are comparable. But the atmosphere at each is very different, with Nottingham being a campus university that is a short bus ride from Nottingham itself (so you cannot easily get to and from the centre) whereas Bristol is a city university, which the department buildings intermingling with offices, houses, etc.
username3763482
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
You should visit both and see for yourself which you prefer. Both universities and course are comparable. But the atmosphere at each is very different, with Nottingham being a campus university that is a short bus ride from Nottingham itself (so you cannot easily get to and from the centre) whereas Bristol is a city university, which the department buildings intermingling with offices, houses, etc.
You see I've seen Bristol at its open day and I really liked it! But I don't get to see nottingham until the 10th March and nottinghams accommodation applications open on the 1st march so that's kind of stressing me out. I feel like I need to decide before then, even without seeing Nottingham, because if I wait too long all good accommodation will be gone
.ACS.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rachel3220)
You see I've seen Bristol at its open day and I really liked it! But I don't get to see nottingham until the 10th March and nottinghams accommodation applications open on the 1st march so that's kind of stressing me out. I feel like I need to decide before then, even without seeing Nottingham, because if I wait too long all good accommodation will be gone
Technically, you can visit without going on an official open day. You won't get the special tour or anything, but in a way that is better since you can wonder around and explore for yourself without being shown a biased view.

Do you have any friends at Nottingham, or brothers/sisters of friends who go there, and they can show you around on an unofficial tour?

Also, how does the accommodation service organise itself? By this I mean, maybe they open on 1 March for applications, but don't start allocating until everyone who has firmed Nottingham submits their choice? In truth, it seems unlikely that accommodation spaces would fill up so quickly before the open days have all occurred.
username3763482
Rep:
?
(Original post by .ACS.)
Technically, you can visit without going on an official open day. You won't get the special tour or anything, but in a way that is better since you can wonder around and explore for yourself without being shown a biased view.

Do you have any friends at Nottingham, or brothers/sisters of friends who go there, and they can show you around on an unofficial tour?

Also, how does the accommodation service organise itself? By this I mean, maybe they open on 1 March for applications, but don't start allocating until everyone who has firmed Nottingham submits their choice? In truth, it seems unlikely that accommodation spaces would fill up so quickly before the open days have all occurred.
You see I don't know anyone in Nottingham and I also live in Northern Ireland, meaning it's a bit more difficult to just pop over and see it. I hope that's the case with the accommodation! But a student ambassador called me the other day to answer any questions and she said I would be disadvanged booking after the 10th because it's a very much first-come-first-served basis anyway thanks for your help!
TakingMyTimeOnMy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey Rachel!! Firstly well done for getting offers I am acc in the same situation. I have offers from both Bristol and Nottingham and Iwas deciding between the two but I have decided to firm Bristol. I went to the Bristol open day and I loved the feel of the city. It’s so freaking pretty. I’m from london so I am a defo city girl. The Notts campus is one of the biggest in the UK so you kinda feel like one person in a sea of a million. Another factor which sold it for me is Bristol is amazing for its nightlife and clubbing which isn’t the most important factor but I do love to have fun and enjoy myself so it’s a best of both worlds situation doing a subject I love without losing the social element. Also Bristol is a top ranked uni and is ranked higher than Notts in the eyes of firms. Another thing is the Bristol course is known for being mathematical as opposed to Notts where you acc don’t need Maths to get an offer which is very unusual for econ degrees. I am thinking of going into management consulting and all of the people I have spoken to said Bristol > Notts. That’s not to say you will not get anywhere if you firm Notts. At the end of the day what will get you jobs is you as a whole package. Hope that helps and good luck !!
username3763482
Rep:
?
(Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy)
Hey Rachel!! Firstly well done for getting offers I am acc in the same situation. I have offers from both Bristol and Nottingham and Iwas deciding between the two but I have decided to firm Bristol. I went to the Bristol open day and I loved the feel of the city. It’s so freaking pretty. I’m from london so I am a defo city girl. The Notts campus is one of the biggest in the UK so you kinda feel like one person in a sea of a million. Another factor which sold it for me is Bristol is amazing for its nightlife and clubbing which isn’t the most important factor but I do love to have fun and enjoy myself so it’s a best of both worlds situation doing a subject I love without losing the social element. Also Bristol is a top ranked uni and is ranked higher than Notts in the eyes of firms. Another thing is the Bristol course is known for being mathematical as opposed to Notts where you acc don’t need Maths to get an offer which is very unusual for econ degrees. I am thinking of going into management consulting and all of the people I have spoken to said Bristol > Notts. That’s not to say you will not get anywhere if you firm Notts. At the end of the day what will get you jobs is you as a whole package. Hope that helps and good luck !!
Thanks this was very helpful! And well done to you on your offers! I'm still so conflicted I think I'm going to wait until I actually see Nottingham to make the decision, because it's wrong to judge when I've only seen Bristol.
Student1819
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by TakingMyTimeOnMy)
Hi I’m literally the same as you been deciding between the 2 and I’m from London I’m also thinking of finally firming Bristol, have u thought about what accomodation you’re choosing?
TakingMyTimeOnMy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Student1819)
Hi I’m literally the same as you been deciding between the 2 and I’m from London I’m also thinking of finally firming Bristol, have u thought about what accomodation you’re choosing?
yass a fellow Londoner!! My first choice is Hiatt Baker self-catered with an ensuite. second is probs gonna be baddock same thing. have no idea about the third option
M-Gaur
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hdhee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
30%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.09%
No I am happy with my choice (60)
54.55%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise