How do I write an academic appeal letter? Watch

clvrnn
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just need help writing an academic appeal letter as I've been told I'm being withdrawn due to absence; however, I spoke to someone a few months ago who told me that I was going to be reinstated as I'd been suffering from mental health issues and this was the reason I couldn't attend. I'm very anxious about this as I don't want to lose my place at uni and have pretty much nothing else to turn to.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clvrnn)
I just need help writing an academic appeal letter as I've been told I'm being withdrawn due to absence; however, I spoke to someone a few months ago who told me that I was going to be reinstated as I'd been suffering from mental health issues and this was the reason I couldn't attend. I'm very anxious about this as I don't want to lose my place at uni and have pretty much nothing else to turn to.
Get the rules on appeals. They should be on the website or from the department or handbook.

Go and see a student advisor.

You need to understand why you are being withdrawn and point out your absence has been due to ongoing mental health condition and then you support that with evidence/ letter from your GP abut your treatment and student welfare/ mental health if you have been using them as well.

Also see your tutor. If you have evidence, then they are likely to be sympathetic.
clvrnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Get the rules on appeals. They should be on the website or from the department or handbook.

Go and see a student advisor.

You need to understand why you are being withdrawn and point out your absence has been due to ongoing mental health condition and then you support that with evidence/ letter from your GP abut your treatment and student welfare/ mental health if you have been using them as well.

Also see your tutor. If you have evidence, then they are likely to be sympathetic.
I'm due to see one in the morning...

They are withdrawing me because of low attendance, but at that time I was having what I guess is known as a 'mental breakdown' - I have a letter from my GP and a medical certificate, but that's it.

I know logically it doesn't make sense to withdraw someone even after they've presented medical evidence of being ill and they seem quite hot on mental illness awareness etc, but my anxious mind is panicking.

Thank you for the advice, I really appreciate it.
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Catalogue the day, date, time, and people involved in any relevant conversations that you've had up until this point. Get as much info down on paper, as accurately as you can, to reconstruct the sequence of events. Successful appeals are usually driven by information not emotion. Also, check any mental health claims that the institution makes, either on websites or mission statement, in terms of offering support.
clvrnn
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrSocSciences)
Catalogue the day, date, time, and people involved in any relevant conversations that you've had up until this point. Get as much info down on paper, as accurately as you can. Successful appeals are usually driven by information not emotion.
This is very helpful, thank you. This is what I've been doing, writing everything down. I was worried about the length of the letter but I think it's important to be clear.

Good point about the mental health thing, I will have a look at that. They were having a 'mental health awareness lunch' today, funnily enough. The uni seem very hot on issues like MH, LGBT, etc. Which is a good thing.
DrSocSciences
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by clvrnn)
This is very helpful, thank you. This is what I've been doing, writing everything down. I was worried about the length of the letter but I think it's important to be clear.

Good point about the mental health thing, I will have a look at that. They were having a 'mental health awareness lunch' today, funnily enough. The uni seem very hot on issues like MH, LGBT, etc. Which is a good thing.
Well done. The irony of having to pull together a compelling case when the world is tilted on its axis, is not lost. Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East London
    Undergraduate Open Evening Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Nov '19
    Postgraduate Open Evening - Stratford Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 4 Dec '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.68%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.44%
Not great so far... (212)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (114)
19.19%

Watched Threads